Thin CA glue gone thick

Timbuck

Reaction score
I understand this is a problem with CA glue..I had two half bottles of thin
Glue that has got thicker and thicker over the last few months, it seemed a shame to bin them..So I had a go with "Acetone" on one bottle to see if it would dilute..and it worked ok but it took a while to mix in.:)
Next I had a go with "Methylene Chloride"...this worked even better it mixed in seconds.
I let both the mixes stand for 1/2 an hour, then tried them out on a couple of test pieces...Both glued pretty good and responded to the CA activator (Zip Kicker) just as they should....I'll wait a few days and test them again to see if there is any degrading.

Tim- where does one procure "Methylene Chloride"...? I've tried acetone in the past with less than desireable results. Have found that keeping stock in the fridge extends the life considerable, with long term storage of bulk in the freezer with no ill effects. If your test works out, I'll have to source out the solvent you mentioned and possible suppliers would be appreciated. Thx, Randy

You're lucky it was only the CA. I find that I usually go thick at some point during a build :confused:

I can get Methylyne Chloride from the local Automotive paint suppliers. As well as we have several chemical and cleaning supply companies that carry it. I imagine it's not hard to find in any reasonably populated town.

Top Bottom