Baritone Happiness New Uke Day Preview

pdxuke

Reaction score
This has been in the works for a while, but it officially became mine about ten minutes ago:

FAVILLA c1960 Baritone
attachment.php

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2013/02/c1960-favilla-baritone-ukulele.html

Super happy, because I really like CLEAN vintage, and wow, this is all that. Jake recorded a sound test that I've uploaded to my sound cloud for a day or so to let you hear what these sound like if you don't know:
https://soundcloud.com/pdxuke/favilla-60s-baritone-sound

I have sets of Southcoast strings a waitin'. Life is good.

Nice pdx. Mine's a 1955 just like yours, but with a label in the sound hole and a single six inch crack in the side body. Lol.

It's otherwise gorgeous, like yours. Lovely. Just lovely. Yours and mine. Beautiful ukuleles. Like two Herk Favilla buddies. People let me tell you 'bout best friend. He's a warm hearted person who'll love me til the end. He's a one boy cuddly toy, my up, my down my pride and joy.

Sure looks clean, great job finding such a beauty and congrats, let the baritones begin!

Nice pdx. Mine's a 1955 just like yours, but with a label in the sound hole and a single six inch crack in the side body. Lol.

It's otherwise gorgeous, like yours. Lovely. Just lovely. Yours and mine. Beautiful ukuleles. Like two Herk Favilla buddies. People let me tell you 'bout best friend. He's a warm hearted person who'll love me til the end. He's a one boy cuddly toy, my up, my down my pride and joy.

It's a new kind of Buddy Movie: The Favilla Cats.

When did Favilla stop using the big Herk Favilla B-2favilla_back2_label.jpg bari label in the soundhole? Anyone know?

Mine looks just like this one, but with B2 Baritone on it and a different serial number.

Ok, maybe I'm wrong about that so let me go back and look where i got that info. Don't panic yet.

Ok, this was posted by Tom Favilla on the Uke Yak site at Fleamarket Music:

Hi Chuck, Just saw Dougs posting about his Favilla Baritone Uke. Its an early to mid 1950's manufacture. Very early Baritone's 1940's to 1953 had no serial numbers. Serial numbers were first used 1953 to 1957. After 1959 the familiar gold label inside the body bore the model and serial number. Best, Tom

He also, in another post, wrote this:

It is a matter of time frame as to when they were built; Favilla Bros. burned in (but no serial number) pre-1953. Favilla Bros. burned in with an ink stamped serial number, 1953 to 1959. Herk Favilla label 1960 to 1980.-- Tom Favilla

So, mine is between 53-59, yours could be 59, but could be later.

Last edited:
Very nice~Congratulations!

Okay, so I heard from Tom Favilla last night, which in itself is beyond cool, and this is what he said about this uke:

Thom,

You have a Baritone ukulele that was built between 1953 and 1957 in our shop which was located in
Manhattan at the time. Good luck with it.

Thomas Favilla

So: confirmation that it's about as old as I am, and built in my town, NYC.

This was meant to be. Kismet!

Okay, how much you want for it? lol

Okay, so I heard from Tom Favilla last night, which in itself is beyond cool, and this is what he said about this uke:

Thom,

You have a Baritone ukulele that was built between 1953 and 1957 in our shop which was located in
Manhattan at the time. Good luck with it.

Thomas Favilla

So: confirmation that it's about as old as I am, and built in my town, NYC.

This was meant to be. Kismet!

WOW! If I wasn't so cheap, I'd have a Favilla this nice.

Top Bottom