Stadium baritone a bit better than expected

lambchop

Reaction score
Got a 40s or 50s "Stadium" ukulele - no one knows for sure who made them - but it was kind of musty looking when I got it and had some repaired cracks. Put some Ernie Ball ball end nylon classical strings (ball ends are great to avoid tying strings to the bridge) and strung it low D (wound string for that one) and am surprised by how nice it sounds. I'll do a video soon and let you all see it, but it's a nice vintage cheap baritone that has a little punchy sound. i actually thing the low D gets overpowering on this particular uke (low D was great on the 1960 Harmony I had for a minute) so I may go hi-D later on. It's gonnar need a new nut, maybe, and a new saddle for sure.

If you know any history of the Stadium outside of the two page online let me know.

I think there's always a tonal issue when only one string is wound. It often sounds overpowering. I prefer two wound/two plain for a better balance, maybe because it's more like classical guitar. :)

Oh, and where are the pics of this bari? :p

I think there's always a tonal issue when only one string is wound. It often sounds overpowering. I prefer two wound/two plain for a better balance, maybe because it's more like classical guitar. :)

Oh, and where are the pics of this bari? :p

Top Bottom