New Old Uke Day: Kumalae B + Vintage NoName

Nicko

Reaction score
Big week this week with two new old ukes arriving. Both adopted via eBay.

First was a vintage no-name instrument -- advertized as from 1927 due to some instructional booklets that were with it indicating a 1927 copyright. May or may not be of that vintage precisely, but it is of considerable age. Wooden pegs and very light construction with frets set directly into the neck, etc. I reglued the neck, stabilized some hairline cracks with Titebond I (thanks for all the glue conversation around here recently, as well as some repair advice I rec'd -- I've learned so much here in UU), removed a broken nut and fashioned a new temporary nut out of poplar (will need to be replace when I get in some ebony that I'm ordering, but I couldn't wait to string her up and see what she sounds like). Restrung with Southcoast light strings.

Second is a 20s-30s style B Kumalae ("B-262" penciled within) that arrived in wonderful condition. The headstock decal is pristine, as is the rest of the instrument, except for a couple hairline cracks on the back that are super-stable. It's a beautiful instrument and I'm very happy to be able to have it for awhile. (A beautiful thing like this and of this vintage kinda has a life of its own by this time. It has somehow decided to live with me for a time before moving on, who knows how or when.)

Anyway, pleased to have both of these critters with me.

Am a beginner player and with no decent recording equipment, or I'd offer a sound sample. They both have great old and "woody" sound, though they are very different. The Kumalae is koa, while who knows what the no-name is made of.

By the way, don't ever be afraid of using wooden tuning pegs. It's not as bad as you think.

lee.jpgkumalae_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nw that is a good week -- congrats on the new ukes. The Kumalae looks like it's in great shape, too.

Well done! The Kumalae looks lovely!

Congrats on the great score....they both look good, thank you for sharing...Happy Strummings...:)

Both beautiful. Now, trim those strings.

Top Bottom