My Flea Market Find

strummin'&hummin'

Reaction score
flamingoukulele.jpg

I this plastic uke over the weekend at a local antiques Flea Market. It was so strange the way it happened that I knew it must be fate - this Flamingo was meant for me!

I had gotten to the market right when it opened and instead of going to the very end aisles, I went straight down the middle. I had to go over to the far right to get a drink about an hour into my shopping (they had the heat blasted in there and I was bundled up already) and I saw this table with a huge crowd around it. I jokingly asked the person working at the concession stand who had a direct view of that booth, "are they giving away gold there?" He laughed and said they must be because it had been that way all morning. I hate crowds so made a mental note to stay away and resumed shopping.

I had to pass by it again at the end of my shopping trip to throw away my drink cup so I figured, hey, why not. I went into the booth and the first thing I saw was this Flamingo Ukulele. I thought it was cool and it was in VG/Excellent shape. I gave it a strum and it was still in tune. It didn't have a price on it (gah - I hate when dealers do that) so I thought it was probably pricey. I finally caught the guys attention and asked, "How much?" When he said $15, I couldn't rip through my wallet fast enough to find the money!

I've had fun playing it today. It's really kind of pretty in my opinion and now I want one of the new plastic ukes or an Islander!

Great story what a lucky find. Sounds like a great day!

Very cool. I have one too. I like the looks of yours.

Great score! I have the white one with the brown fingerboard and built-in pitch pipe. I paid a lot more than you did! I also have a Maccaferri Islander, which is a lot better, but it was a LOT more!

nice deal bro enjoy it

Thanks!

Thank you!

Oh, playing this one has made me want a Maccaferri Islander! I may have to start looking for one.

Maccaferris are actually really nice instruments. I saw one in a big antique market in Denver right after I first started casually about 8 or 9 tears ago. It was $85, but it was so cool! I didn't buy it, but when my uke interest was rekindled and I started REALLY playing about 4 years ago, I hunted one down.

Top Bottom