Baritone, UAS, Blem - yup a New Uke Day

Macmuse

Reaction score
Okay, all the baritone talk got to me. I couldn't afford much but really wanted a baritone.

Enter the Butler Music blem thread (though I'd already seen them in my daily eBay wanderings).

I caved. I got a Lanikai S-B. Was supposed to have too much glue around the nut but it turns out it has a slightly nasty ding to the finish at the top of the headstock.

What would be the best way to seal that up?

I'm not much for the super shiny finishes but don't mind it on this one. It kinda looks like a little sibling to my Stella S-72 guitar (but that one isn't glossy). Sounds pretty good for the price (I'm sure the UAS budget is going to have to include a better baritone someday though).

Attachments

• headstock-chipped.jpg
    headstock-chipped.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 24
  • shiny-S-B.jpg
    shiny-S-B.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 16
  • baritone-S-B.jpg
    baritone-S-B.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 16
Congrats....I looked at them too. Seems like most folks seal up fine finish cracks with superglue....better be neat though. Can be sanded and buffed....if you know the right way. Good problem for Luthiers Forum

Congrats....I looked at them too. Seems like most folks seal up fine finish cracks with superglue....better be neat though. Can be sanded and buffed....if you know the right way. Good problem for Luthiers Forum

Good point. Maybe I'll grab just that headstock photo and ask for advice there. :)

Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about that headstock ding. Most people aren't going to see it anyway and if they do it's just character. :)

John

Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about that headstock ding. Most people aren't going to see it anyway and if they do it's just character. :)

John

I think it's still going to have character. ;)

What the picture doesn't really show is that it's threatening to lose a pretty big chunk of finish. I just want to stabilize that so it doesn't crack off a bigger piece. My 11 year old took guitar lessons in the summer and even my Stella still seems a bit big for him. I thought he might enjoy trying the bari and he's not the most, shall we say, gentle, on instruments at times.

He's getting better, but the guitars have gotten a few extra bits of character when he's played them.

edit: his guitar teacher thought he did quite well, but would have done better with nylon rather than steel - heck, the steel still hurts my fingers sometimes.

Top Bottom