Capos for Baritone Ukuleles

bchanelmusic

Reaction score
So,

For christmas I got an acoustic-electric Lanakai Baritone Ukulele. I was planning on using it more often than my regular acoustic Soprano for open mics because the Baritone plugs in. My problem is that I've written a good amount of my songs on the Soprano and playing it in the new key of the Baritone requires me to sing them way higher or way lower than they were written. Also, I have not yet perfected my ukulele skills, so just moving over the same notes to the Baritone has proven rather difficult.

Thus, to solve my problem I was looking to purchase a capo for my Baritone, but was having a hard time finding one. Does anyone have any suggestions or testimonials about ones they've used. Include links if you can!!

I have a Shubb banjo capo which I think is the same one they use for the Uke. I have a Martin vintage baritone and the neck is too small for using the capo on the first three or so frets. I bought a G7 capo and it seems to work great. My fav is the Shubb for my other instruments.

Have you tried stringing up your bari to a higher key? I tried the linear C strings but felt they were too high and lacked the resonance I got from the G tuning. I put on a set of Southcoast ML-RW'S and tuned it to a Bb. Sounds really cool but would like to go back to a linear G if I could find the right strings with a wound 3&4. The Martin strings were faunky.

I have a Shubb banjo capo which I think is the same one they use for the Uke. I have a Martin vintage baritone and the neck is too small for using the capo on the first three or so frets. I bought a G7 capo and it seems to work great. My fav is the Shubb for my other instruments.

Hey Patrick,

Take my word for it - the Shubb banjo capo and ukulele capo are not the same. You're right - the banjo capo isn't a good fit. We waited for years hoping they would come out with a true Ukulele capo. They finally did (actually two uke models - both of them in flat or radiused) and it was worth the wait - they work great.

I've tried a few and generally any banjo or mandolin capo will work as long as the capo is wide enough. Work on tenor guitars, as well.

I have a Shubb in my breast pocket right now, awaiting the UPS delivery of my new Kala bari. It is a banjo capo, but I am going to see if it will work. I am really getting good at barring chords, so I may have just eliminated the need anyway. I will know in about an hour or so! Wish me luck!

Top Bottom