String that uke like it's 1969!??!

ukudele

Reaction score
I recently bought a lil kamaka HF-1, Circa 1969-70's. I have a few other ukes and never really cared what kind of strings to use. I was wondering with all the string choices available, which would be best? On the kamaka website, they say use kamaka strings but.. idk? Just wondering which strings can make the lil guy scream whiney hawaiian to the fullest.

thanks a bunch....your help would be greatly appreciated

There's a number of strings available . . . and actually there is no best, seriously. Popular, yes, but not necessarily best and I, for one will not say one is better than the others. You can also do a search on strings to determine which ones members prefer. Favorites here are the first four (IMO). You'll hear this a lot, try different ones and if you like the tone, sound and feel of one, that's all that matters. Check with MGM, he carries most of em.
Worth !00% flurocarbon strings
Aquila synthetic material with gut characteristics
D'Addario Pro Arte series (J-92.J-71)
Ko'olau Golds special polyamid nylon
Freemont Blackline flurocarbon blacks
Hilo
Kala

Aquila synthetic material with gut characteristics
D'Addario Pro Arte series (J-92.J-71)

i have perosnally used these types of strings, because i have them on my ukes, and i think they are really good sounding, especially the aquilas. they really hold a good sound to them. but with your kamaka, either worths or Daddarios. IMO

Thanks for the help, I eneded up ordering D'Addario strings. They should kick ass. thinking about changing all the strings on em ukes. I have aquilas on me banjoele but thinking of getting some pro arte. just sounds sexier. Pro-o Arrrte', hehe.

I really depends on the match with the particular uke and the sound you are looking for. I just restrung my old Harmony concert with Aquilas, used to have worth, that thing is loud and really pops. I usually play tuned to D but this one I am tuned to C.....probably change my mind next month its kind of like that with ukes for me.

Top Bottom