4-course Renaissance Guitar?

Paul December

Reaction score
Would someone please clarify some things about this instrument for me please?
From what I gather, the Renaissance 4-Course Guitar is about the size of a Baritone uke, and and paired strings. I've read that it is (usually) tuned G,C,E,A like a uke, but not reentrant.
Are the strings unison or octave apart?
Finally, I'm enjoying playing Early Music on my uke; would I be able to play the same transcriptions on this guitar :confused:

Last edited:
I believe they're all unison, but I'll have to check further.

EDIT:
Okay, so some bass courses were octave. At least the highest pitched course was unison. Still looking...

MORE INFO:
Taking the approach that these are unplayable unless strings are available, I checked the La Bella website.
They say that their four course set consists of a low octave pair, two unison pairs, and a single high string.

You learn something new every day.

http://www.labella.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/LaBellaEarlyInstrumentsCatalog.pdf

Last edited:
Perhaps, UkeVal will chime in. I feel like he's probably our resident expert.

I wonder about just going for a baritone.
This is just a guess, but I would imagine that the main reason that Renaissance guitars had double courses was that the gut strings they would have used produced substantially less volume than modern strings.

I wonder about just going for a baritone.
This is just a guess, but I would imagine that the main reason that Renaissance guitars had double courses was that the gut strings they would have used produced substantially less volume than modern strings.

That is a good point.
...If true, I would guess a $1k baritone might be better made than a low end Ren . Guitar.

Hello,
Renaissance guitar is probably a liittle bit bigger than ukes (mine is 55 cm string length)
Top is single then 2 and 3 double, unisson, and 4th is double, octave. you can either put the bass string outside (thumb side) to have like the low g on the uke, or put the treble 4th outside (and have an high g effect).
Most the renaissace guitar repertoire can be played on a low g uke, somes pieces works also with high g, but better with low g.
If you look at my "luthval" YT channel, I have some renaissance guitar video (as well as I did some pieces on the uke too as recently "La Monica")

Reviving this old thread with an update - I just got a Kala XL tenor, and not only is the body larger, but the scale length is also as well. According to the measurements I've found online, it is the same length as a Renaissance guitar. I'm really liking it, but be aware that it does not sound like a uke at all.

Hello,
The wonderful renaissance guitar repertoire fits perfectly on any low-G uke.
If you can't afford a real renaissance guitar from a luthier, the best alternative would be a 5-string tenor, with both high and low G. Even better, an 8-stringer with a single first string may do the trick.
Regarding the La Bella string set specially designed for renaissance guitar, I played it extensively and two things come to mind : first, they are really reasonably priced and of good quality. Second : they are unfortunately on the thick side and may be playable only if you tune them one whole step below nominal pitch. Not a problem as long as you are playing solo but if having your guitar tuned exactly as it should be is a big concern for you, make sure that your renaissance guitar can withstand the extra-high tension without damage.
Last but not least, listen to the great Massimo Lonardi on YT : some of the pieces he performs are really low-pitched, I guess with a 1st string down to E. It's nonetheless beautiful.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom