Any converts from tuba to bass?

DaleR

Reaction score
Hey, I have played tuba since grade school and did some light upright bass in college. I think bass lines all the time. Did any of you out there start on tuba and then convert/ double on bass? I did not know how fun electric bass was until I got my U Bass, and now I love playing stuff on it.

Never played tuba but played bass clarinet in high school. I love playing the U Bass.

I'm guessing that is a road less traveled.
Sounds like fun though.

Well, bass lines are bass lines! I actually caught myself last weekend humming bass lines quietly to myself around the home. Very relaxing actually!

I played baritone sax in high school. I'm playing a Pono concert ukulele now, so guess I'm working my way to the opposite end of the tonal range. Also, it feels nice not having a 20 pound hunk of metal strapped to my neck that sounds like an in-tune lawnmower :)

It has taken me almost 4 decades to realize the advantage of a smaller instrument. I remember learning how to dot the i in Script Ohio back in school. My knees and back remind me of it almost daily these days. I have had way to many years on the field, with a contrabass horn on my left shoulder. :eek:ld:

I played the tuba in Jr. high and a year in high school. Also played a bass for 50t years and recently bought an Acacia Ubass. It's been an advantage playing the deeper toned instruments early in my playing career and find myself playing the bass runs on the uke as a fill in when playing with others. Probably why I like a linear 4th string more than rentrant.

I hearya there! I played banjo since I was a kid, picked up mandolin a couple of years ago, but find the sound of the U Bass calling to me. Reentrant is fun, but is quite different than mando when it comes to scales.

I played Euphonium (aka baritone horn, aka tenor tuba) through high school and college. Enjoyed playing very much, but the only real use for a euphonium is in a brass band. Picked up uke to have something a little more widely applicable.

Me, as a kid, playing bari with The Kilts from Racine...
kiltmea.jpg

and today, with Westshoremen Alumni from Harrisburg...
shore12 (3).jpg

I'd like a bass guitar or bass uke, but I'm not sure I can get one in my price range that sounds as good as my pono MC. But I must admit that Mike at Uke Republic gave me a helluvadeal on a MC and gig bag..... Maybe one day I'll find a good bass as well

Top Bottom