Too long tuner blues

Mrbell321

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am in the process of upgrading/restoring my grandfathers banjolele. I bought some ping 2699 tuners because I like gears and inexpensive things. The problem, which I did not forsee is that the tuning pegs are too long. I haven't installed them yet, but a side-by-side view tells me that the strings won't break over the nut at all for the outer two strings.
So, I can:
  1. buy new tuners(but which ones will be short enough?)
  2. use lots of windings to push the string down will it hold
    Or
  3. drill a new hole and maybe cut the top of the post to a reasonable height(no more chrome plating)

Advice?

Buy new tuners. I have no idea what will fit but the other options will be a constant reminder that you didn't do it right.

Good point... I've got too many "well, I should've..."s in my life already :)

So, I didn't measure it, but I'd guess that the headstock is no more than 1/2" thick and it's angled(as opposed to recessed, a la Fender guitars. I don't know what is normal for banjoleles). The current pegs stick out about 1/4", so I'd like 3/4" posts, but I think the Pings are closer to 1".

Stewmac has good dimensions for tuners on the website. Their Grover Uke tuners should work for your headstock thickness

I had a ukulele with the long posts and I noticed there was little to no string break at the nut, but the uke sounded so good.
I also did not like the look. I replaced the long shaft Grovers with a short shaft Grover.
I really do like the look much better, but I can't really say the sound is any better.
There now is some string break at the nut. The uke's headstock is almost straight which compounded the long shaft issue.
You might try the tuners you have, since banjos are loud anyway, the string break may not be a big issue.

Shim?

I had the same problem, and considered the same options. I ended up getting the shorter ones from Stew-Mac. I could have, but didn't, shim the tuners from the back with 1/8" paneling pieces.

The new tuners work fine.

I would buy more appropriate tuners.
I had a guitar luthier replace tuners on an ukulele with ones that he said would work. Got it back and I have to string it with about eight windings to get the down-bearing on the strings. They are great tuners and they work just fine this way, but it's a huge pain to string. And the tuners were high end machines (read expensive) so I don't want to add screw holes and spend more money replacing them.

Last edited:
string stays.if

If value isn't a concern you can also install string stays like a strat.
I've only done it to one uke and that was because I had both in my parts bin.

That being said if you have to order something and wait, I'd go with new tuners

So I was going to order new tuners, and in preparation, I wanted to pull the old ones off to see what size holes they had. I have no problem drilling... but I discovered that the existing post hole is only about 3mm. The pegs on the top side are closer to 6mm and round, but they narrow immediately to pass thru the wood to about 2mm square. The tension comes from squeezing the wood between the plastic thumb piece on the back and a washer under the peg on the front. It doesn't appear any of the aftermarket tuners are anything close to this.

Like I said, I don't mind drilling, I have a press and some nice forstner bits. I just though this was unusual.

The plastic is completely falling apart and one can't be tightened to hold any tension at all. The screw goes in tighter, but it just refuses to stay put.

take them apart and clean them. For the plastic try superglue and baking soda, make a little slurry and fill the holes. You can then drill them back out. You could also try to fill them with the slurry and then just put them back on the posts. (little messy and problematic). I've filled and re-drilled them. In some(most) cases the peg shafts are square. if this is the case drill them out and make them fit tight.
If it doesn't work you where going to toss them out anyway.

The original holes are tapered and that is normal. When you get new tuners look at the instructions if they have them or get a drill guide or calipers out get the size.

Hmmm... Interesting idea... Is there any way to clean the plastic too? They are not pretty...
The peg shafts are square all the way through the headstock. Since the shafts are square, what does the taper accomplish? If the shaft was round and fit tight in the tapered hole, I would understand, but I don't get this.

Don't know of a magic cleaning product. Start mild and work your way up. That old plastic is brittle and I wouldn't fuss with it to much. i'd just try to get them back on and call it character. The super glue and backing soda will dry rock hard. Its a good fix for that and nut slots.

Top Bottom