More questions on strum technique & Fingernails

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
I attend a group whose teacher wants me to use the index finger to strum - other fingers to come later. His advice is to have the index finger curved, pointing back under the palm. I watched the 1st strum technique video on UU, and that confirms 'point to yourself, point to the ground' with relaxed finger.

If I do that, I end up strumming with the side, where the nail edge catches on the strings, and sometimes if I curl the finger a lot, I catch the cuticle at the base of my nail. Ouch - It hurts! If I curl it under less, I'm playing on the tip of my nail. Only way I can play with the pad of my finger is to keep the finger straight. I don't have long nails, doesn't peep over the top even. I suppose my nails are unusual in that they aren't covered at the sides until about 1/2 way down (thumbs are better).

Clearly I'm missing something important here. Can anyone set me straight?

Last edited:
Hi...I don't think you're missing anything...it takes time to perfect a strum. I know when my nails are too long, they hang on the strings when I finger pick, and even when i strum. I constatnly have to keep trimming them or i have problems...after time, You'll develop the right technique and nail length...I'm learning that it's important for me to keep them as short as i can...

When I first started, like you, my nails felt like they were in the way when I strummed, although I keep them quite short. I was most comfortable strumming with the pad of my index finger and kept the finger rather straight like you describe. Eventually I started using my nails more and even other fingers, but that came later.

There's a lot going on when you first start, so just keep experimenting until you find a strumming technique that works for you. Don't be surprised if it takes some time, and don't be concerned that it's "wrong"--the "right" way is the way that works best for you.

Depends on what you want to achieve. Ukulele playing doesn't have to be that hard and you can just do your own thing.

I do. I have my own style.

If your trying to learn to play Islander style then certain techniques are required and it takes time.

I cant play Islander style to save myself.

Anthony

Good technique takes time. If you strum with the side of your finger, you will end up with some awfully sore fingers after playing a while. YOu will eventually get it. My students are struggling with the same thing. Good technique takes time and practice......no shortcuts for most of us.

Anthony,
What do you mean by "Islander style"?
Thanks,
Rosemarie

Good technique takes time. If you strum with the side of your finger, you will end up with some awfully sore fingers after playing a while. YOu will eventually get it. My students are struggling with the same thing. Good technique takes time and practice......no shortcuts for most of us.

Rats. I'd have thought basic strumming would be the easiest part of this. I should know better by now. Still, that's why I do want to try to achieve what the teacher says. I've come to realise over the years that correct basic technique leads to achieving a higher standard, thus more enjoyment & satisfaction. So putting in the effort to get this right will be worth it in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that playing the uke should be fun (and that's also what teacher insists) and I can develop my own style & way of doing things. "You have to learn what the rules are before you can break them" - don't know where I heard that, but it is so right.

Anthony,
What do you mean by "Islander style"?
Thanks,
Rosemarie

Hawaiian style?

There are ukulele's specific techniques such as the triplet strum(?) that people here like in order to differentiate themselves from the styles used to play a guitar. To me a ukulele is MY accompanying instrument to my singing and whether or not it sounds like a traditional ukulele is irrelevant to me.

Anthony

I had trouble with my cuticle being virtually ripped off but its growing back now. I also have a slight callous around the skin of my forefinger nail from when I first started, now when I strum down I hit the strings with the pink part of my nail and the pad of my finger when I go up, only catching the sides of my fingers every now and then. As others have said it feels really awkward at first but eventually you'll get there and find a way that works.

Top Bottom