steal string semi hollowbody prototype progress

rickmorgan2003

Reaction score
Hi All,
making progress on a steel string active pickup electric uke prototype. Inspired by the old gibson 336 thinlines it has a walnut body and neck, hand carved figured maple neck and will have figured sycamore fingerboard. Will come equipped with hand wound custom humbuckers I designed just for these instruments. I use all non rainforest and sustainable woods in my ukes. IMAG0397.jpg

The fingerboard you see there is not what will go on it, I use that for reference since it was a throwaway. I still have some finish work to do as well as hardware and electrics installation.
Assume all production kinks are worked out I plan on making a limited run of 10 of these in time for the Lake Anne Uke festival in Reston VA this summer. Here is a pick of a finished lefty les paul inspired one from last year to give you an idea for what it will look like done.
IMAG0800.jpg

Any feed back appreciated- no pun intended:)

Rick, you are making me feel bad. You are already on your second semihollow, and I have yet to get past the drawing board on mine..... life tends to get in my way.

I am copping out and putting Dimarzio pickups. The blades won't be ideal, but they should be fine for my taste.

Are you using the same bridge(s) or fabricating something different?

I have someone working on a tune o matic style but I don't think it will be done in time so I am going with a ABM single string bridge copy. The ABMs are way too expensive for what they are. I love the knobs I sourced from a turner and glass maker though. He made these to match the ocean feel and sycamore fingerboard. The production ones will have slightly smaller versions: 3/4" wide by 1/2"

Interesting, what's the scale length?

John

Yes they are. I used those for my first build but have wound my own for the new ones. I liked the almuse but they were a little to hot for what i was going for. They use individual neo mags on each pole but mine will be more like traditional humbuckers with a alnico 5 bar mag. Think mini PAFs

Last edited:
Top Bottom