New uke day, Hawaiian Instrument Designs

808boy

Reaction score
Here is a H.I.D. Koa Soprano built by Michael Rock of Mele fame. I think it was built in the early 80s before he took on the Mele name.
Looking for more info if anyone knows anything.
Nice addition to my Mele Ohana and it pre-dates all my other Meles.
Any info will be appreciated. First one I've ever seen.
Mahalo,.........BO..........

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 103
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Here is a H.I.D. Koa Soprano built by Michael Rock of Mele fame. I think it was built in the early 80s before he took on the Mele name.
Looking for more info if anyone knows anything.
Nice addition to my Mele Ohana and it pre-dates all my other Meles.
Any info will be appreciated. First one I've ever seen.
Mahalo,.........BO..........

Hey Bo,

Saw the pics on FB.

Nice!

gee Bo, beautiful uke mate. looks like a great buy if it sounds half as good as it looks. Nice to see you back on the boards brother.

Aloha Bruddah Bo,
Congratulations, this is the jewel in any mele collectors collection.....it is rare, and I never seen another one like it anywhere..Happy Strummings...

gee Bo, beautiful uke mate. looks like a great buy if it sounds half as good as it looks. Nice to see you back on the boards brother.

Mahalo my Bruddah from Down Undah. It does indeed sound good, typical Hawaiian Koa Soprano voice. String change is on the agenda along with a thorough detailing......

Aloha Bruddah Bo,
Congratulations, this is the jewel in any mele collectors collection.....it is rare, and I never seen another one like it anywhere..Happy Strummings...

Mahalo Bruddah Stan. Still like to get more info on it. Will take it to Mele to see what's up. Maybe I can see Michael and he can shed some light on it........

Mahalo Bruddah Stan. Still like to get more info on it. Will take it to Mele to see what's up. Maybe I can see Michael and he can shed some light on it........
Aloha Bruddah Bo,
While I think this one is special because of better materials used and it is made personaly buy Micheal Rock, it will be alot better that the factory ones produced now...like a G string now
made by Derek himself.....hey brah you scored.....I am sure it will sound as good as your Maui Music....

Ho Brah, you stay buyin all kines, ahh? Nice one . . .

Beautiful instrument!!

If you don't mind a question from a newbie.....your new beauty has 14 frets to the body and 18 total - typical of a concert....no? What makes this a soprano....length of the scale?....size of the body?...overall length of the instrument?

Thanks!

nice ukulele, enjoy!

Beautiful instrument!!

If you don't mind a question from a newbie.....your new beauty has 14 frets to the body and 18 total - typical of a concert....no? What makes this a soprano....length of the scale?....size of the body?...overall length of the instrument?

Thanks!

Bruddah Dave,
Newbie or not, you've got a good eye. After I looked at it again, it must be a Super Soprano: 15" Scale, 14 frets to the body, body size is 9 1/2" long, upper bout is 5" wide, lower bout is 6 1/2" wide, body depth is 2 1/4".
Dang, I did'nt notice the actual configurations till you mentioned it. Again, bigtime Mahalo........

Wow Bo, that's a nice looking uke.
You trying to take on Stan for the most number of ukes?

Wow Bo, that's a nice looking uke.
You trying to take on Stan for the most number of ukes?

Aloha Lady Di,
Nah, Bruddah Stan got me beat 3 times over. Besides that, he's my confidant when deciding to make a purchase. I was thinking about this uke but wasn't too sure. Talked with Bruddah Stan and he said jump on it as he's never seen or heard of this one either. All he knew is what I told him about H.I.D. ukes.
Turned out to be even sweeter after Dave-O noted that it wasn't a true Soprano. Newbie was more observant than me. Mahalo Dave.......Super Soprano, woo hoo fo shua.....

Aloha Lady Di,
Nah, Bruddah Stan got me beat 3 times over. Besides that, he's my confidant when deciding to make a purchase. I was thinking about this uke but wasn't too sure. Talked with Bruddah Stan and he said jump on it as he's never seen or heard of this one either. All he knew is what I told him about H.I.D. ukes.
Turned out to be even sweeter after Dave-O noted that it wasn't a true Soprano. Newbie was more observant than me. Mahalo Dave.......Super Soprano, woo hoo fo shua.....

Dude....you're giving me way too much credit. I just wish I could play as well as I spot details of ukues!!!!....All in time!

Top Bottom