Is It Worth It?

electrauke

Reaction score
My local music shop that I get my lessons from has a dusty Johnson Soprano ukulele that is missing a bridge. I offered to buy it from him because I want to fix it up. He said he would sell it to me for $25. I think I might be able to get it down to $20. Is it worth it?

My local music shop that I get my lessons from has a dusty Johnson Soprano ukulele that is missing a bridge. I offered to buy it from him because I want to fix it up. He said he would sell it to me for $25. I think I might be able to get it down to $20. Is it worth it?

My experience with Johnson says no. But if you have the $20 to spare, it could be a good project.

hey Andre, as a project for project's sake, sure it's worth it. You may learn a number of lessons re the technical sides of set-up that will pay for itself many times over. Plus, you'll have a new uke as well as the satisfaction that comes from such an undertaking. :)

The Johnson will be worth less than the cost of the glue you use to fix it. But, you might find the experience valuable.

Had one. Bad intonation and couldn't get it right after many hours of setup work. Sold it and never looked back.

I think when you get done all you'd have to show for your $20, and the time, expense, and effort to make and position a bridge, is the experience of making and positioning a bridge...

BTW, I don't think I'd be likely to buy anything else from that shop either! ($25 for a Johnson with the bridge not just off but missing is nothing short of robbery, in my opinion.)

John

Don't do it. I paid Amazon a whopping $32 for a Johnson ukulele just after Christmas. It was cute, but terrible. The only good thing about it was that it was cheap enough that I bought it on a whim and it gave me the chance to realize I really do love ukulele and want to learn to play. That thing went back to Amazon just as soon as a better starter uke arrived for me from HMS.

Top Bottom