Ukulele Sound Hole Hook Strap from Kiwaya

DaleR

Reaction score
Hey,

Anyone else using one of these? I use one on my U Bass and also now on my new bari. Frees up the left hand and is not so obvious. Good for standing and playing too to add a little support. I got mine from Uke Republic (Mike you are the best!).

I use one from Ukestar on Etsy (not sure if she's still there). The strap buttons on those misi pickup'd Ukes is way too big for a standard strap, and strap makers say "huh?" When you ask about it. The Ukestar is the same idea as the Kiwaya one, only the hook has a tightly woven fabric on it, to be kind to the sound hole. Yeah, they're great. :)

Just checked online and got this:

ukestar's Profile
About

The ukestar shop is closed.
Female
Born on March 16
Joined March 16, 2009

I use one from Ukestar on Etsy (not sure if she's still there). The strap buttons on those misi pickup'd Ukes is way too big for a standard strap, and strap makers say "huh?" When you ask about it. The Ukestar is the same idea as the Kiwaya one, only the hook has a tightly woven fabric on it, to be kind to the sound hole. Yeah, they're great. :)
I offer a Uke Leash Guitar Style strap with a larger amp/button hole option. Also I have the same available for the Uke Leash Strap Button Adapter. So far, I seem to be the only one making straps that can accommodate the the larger amp pins. See links in signature.

–Lori

I have the same pattern as the one reviewed here. It's tough on Etsy these days with the company turning a blind eye to huge resellers as they squeeze out everyone else, and now Regretsy isn't around to call Etsy on their BS...

But you see it's a similar idea to the Kiwaya one.

Congress igiteer

I bought a Kiwaya KTC-1 a month ago and got a strap at the same time. I don't use it too often since I usually play whilst sitting, but I like it and it works well. Kiwayas are very light and I worry a little bit like it might fall off, but it never does.

I offer a Uke Leash Guitar Style strap with a larger amp/button hole option. Also I have the same available for the Uke Leash Strap Button Adapter. So far, I seem to be the only one making straps that can accommodate the the larger amp pins. See links in signature.

For anyone thinking about doing business with "Uke Leash Lori," she is excellent to deal with. I bought a Uke Leash shortly after I got my first ukulele, and then later bought an adapter to convert it to a full strap. Both transactions were painless, and the Uke Leash is a great product.

Yeah she designed and sells a great product, and is awesome to buy from, but I'm looking for more strap character, and those adapters are only for her straps, very understandably.

I have been The Crafted Cow for 35 years. Ten full years was custom leather crafting and a full time shoe repair business. Twenty-six of it has been leatherwork and upholstering anything that will hold still long enough to cover it. For those who need a larger hole for a larger button, get a piece of thin wall tubing with the inside diameter the size of the neck of the button. The neck is the part between the instrument and the flange. Grind the outer edge of one end of the tubing until it is sharp. You have just made your own hole punch, so put it over the hole which is too small, and with a block of wood under the strap, hit the other end of the tubing with something until it cuts a larger hole. You can enlarge the slit about 1/8 of an inch at a time until it goes over the flange. It is easier to make two or three short cuts than to try to do something about one cut which is too big.

For those with a conventional oO uke shape, check out MOBIUS STRAP on Flea Market Music Bulletin Board. It requires no button, and it hold the ukulele secure so you can let go with both hands. It supports the weight of the body, and does not attach to the neck.

Any strap that touches the sound board could affect the tone of your uke. A hook also might put too much pressure on the thinnest part of your ukulele. If you're amplified, it probably won't affect the sound.

–Lori

I guess it just depends what you want to do with the strap. I just want to free up my left hand and like the Kiwaya because it is less obvious, and looks cool too I think.

Well you're not putting all your weight on that hook in the sound hole. I fail to see how minute pressure changes the frequency response. I really don't think it does. And it certainly won't damage the uke unless you're just leaning on the thing and who does that?

Any strap that touches the sound board could affect the tone of your uke. A hook also might put too much pressure on the thinnest part of your ukulele. If you're amplified, it probably won't affect the sound.

–Lori

I didn't find the Mobius to change the tone at all on my 'ukulele. Pretty much everything about it was brilliant.

Has anyone tried the straps made by Souldier? I see that HMS carries the plain webbing ones, but I want something more fun and on their site they have all sorts of vintage fabric and other fun choices.

Has anyone tried the straps made by Souldier? I see that HMS carries the plain webbing ones, but I want something more fun and on their site they have all sorts of vintage fabric and other fun choices.

I have one of the souldier straps, which I ordered directly from the company. Fully customizable for color and fabrics. I really wanted to like the strap. It is well made and looks cool. Unfortunately, I couldn't tolerate the preasure it put on my neck. I ended up taking it apart and sewing it back together in a sling style. It is much more comfortable and works well. Based on my experience, I would strongly recommend this strap as an affordable, comfortable and effective strap.
http://www.amazon.com/Neotech-8001912-Simple-Sling-Black/dp/B0079KQEOK

Well you're not putting all your weight on that hook in the sound hole. I fail to see how minute pressure changes the frequency response. I really don't think it does. And it certainly won't damage the uke unless you're just leaning on the thing and who does that?
The sound hole bears the weight of the uke. I wouldn't recommend it for a solid top.

The sound hole bears the weight of the uke. I wouldn't recommend it for a solid top.

Agreed. As a support - fine, but you need to be totally in touch with what the hook is doing and dont rely on it for much more.

I personally won't use them, don't like the idea of the pressure on such a thin piece of wood.

Plus, when gigging, I like hands free between songs so go with full strap. Large strap buttons can be accommodated - Kala solid acacia one is enormous - I just punched out larger hole on strap end

I personally won't use them, don't like the idea of the pressure on such a thin piece of wood.
Same here. You can't go hands free or it will tumble. It also doesn't support the neck angle at all.

If you want the best in neck support and being able to take your hands off the uke without it falling, a "real" strap is your best option. Installing a strap button is no big deal, or most shops will do it for you pretty cheap.

I always play sitting down, so a strap has never really been an issue for me. I mostly play tenors and can balance one on my leg.

Top Bottom