Are Ko'olau and D'addario t-2 the same strings?

strumsilly

Reaction score
Just restrung my tenor Septre with some Ko'olau Alohi because my D'addario T-2 [titanium tenor] strings were missing a string, and they look like the same strings, same diameter? and purple hue. hmmm

Last edited:
I think I like em. thicker than the strings I had on, which sat too low in the nut, so these are the right diameter.

They are the T-2 nylon, but in different diameter. Ko'olau had D'addario making these years before D'addario marketed them as uke strings though. I think the Ko'olau gauging makes more sense but some people like the T-2. The Mahana is pro arte in different gauge and Golds are their original still made by another string company in Argentina. Ko'olau never set out to be a string maker, but they needed strings for their ukes and were not satisfied with what was available. In the end, they care about making good instruments. They know everyone will have their own opinion on what sounds best with them. They settled on what they liked best.

Just restrung my tenor Septre with some Ko'olau Alohi because my D'addario T-2 [titanium tenor] strings were missing a string, and they look like the same strings, same diameter? and purple hue. hmmm

Wow Strum, that's good observation

They are the T-2 nylon, but in different diameter. Ko'olau had D'addario making these years before D'addario marketed them as uke strings though. I think the Ko'olau gauging makes more sense but some people like the T-2. The Mahana is pro arte in different gauge and Golds are their original still made by another string company in Argentina. Ko'olau never set out to be a string maker, but they needed strings for their ukes and were not satisfied with what was available. In the end, they care about making good instruments. They know everyone will have their own opinion on what sounds best with them. They settled on what they liked best.

Just an additional comment on this. Most companies have their strings made by a String company. Gibson's strings are all made by D'Addario, Kamaka's are made by D'Addario. And a ton of other companies. The company, in this case Ko'olau give D'Addario the specs that they want their strings made to and D'Addario makes them up for them. Same with all of Gibson's strings.

I believe GHS and Martin are the other 2 big manufacturers that make strings for other people. Which cracks me up sometimes b/c some people will complain about GHS strings or some other brand, then rave about another string which is the same string but with a different name on it :)

Good info to know, Mahalo Andrew . . .

Hey thanks Andrew..now i got the real scoop..and lately i have been playing the T2's with a gold flatwound LowG and liking um..i will try the Alohi's next time

Just an additional comment on this. Most companies have their strings made by a String company. Gibson's strings are all made by D'Addario, Kamaka's are made by D'Addario. And a ton of other companies. The company, in this case Ko'olau give D'Addario the specs that they want their strings made to and D'Addario makes them up for them. Same with all of Gibson's strings.

I believe GHS and Martin are the other 2 big manufacturers that make strings for other people. Which cracks me up sometimes b/c some people will complain about GHS strings or some other brand, then rave about another string which is the same string but with a different name on it :)

Hey Pedal..

you got me confused..last month you told me the Kamaka strings made by aquilla right? i could be dreaming.i been sick Haha

Sorry Pedal i went back and you did say Di Addarrio

Last edited:
Ko'olau Alohis are made ten miles from me and I've been having them shipped to me from Hawaii?

hawkward.jpg

Top Bottom