Fingerstyle Ukulele by Fred Sokolow - Great Book!

PedalFreak

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for method books. I've got a book shelf full of Ukulele and Guitar Method Books, old ones and new ones. I've always been interested in bettering my technique, so I read as many method books from many different people, and schools of thought. You can never learn too much in music :)

Recently the store I work for did a very large Hal Leonard order so I ordered Fred Sokolow's Fingerstyle Ukulele Book.

Although I just got it today, looking through it at lunch I can tell there are going to be some cool things to work on and some things I'll be able to pick up from it.

If you're like me there will be a lot of stuff in this book that may be "easy" or that you already know, but some of Fred's explanations and lessons near the middle and end of the book are great! Highly suggested! Check it out if you are looking for a great fingerstyle book.

Coincidence. I just received my copy in the mail today as well. I look forward to checking it out at home. Immediately, though, I found something I dislike. Each song I've looked at says "accompanyment" and has chords shown above the notes, but not represented in the tabs. So to actually play the song you need two players (or a loop pedal, or to record one part and play along with it). To me, that's not "fingerstyle," which I think should be playing chords and melody together.

Having said that, it looks like the chords can be played in place of single notes in most cases. For example, the first note of the first song (page seven) shows to play an open fourth string. Above the music notes it shows to play a G chord, which has an open fourth string. The ninth measure on page eight indicates third string, second fret. The chord above it is a G7, which has the third string fretted on the second fret. So I think I can just throw in chords where they feel right and it'll sound nice.

However, I definitely think the Mark Nelson book is much better so far.

Shawn

Coincidence. I just received my copy in the mail today as well. I look forward to checking it out at home. Immediately, though, I found something I dislike. Each song I've looked at says "accompanyment" and has chords shown above the notes, but not represented in the tabs. So to actually play the song you need two players (or a loop pedal, or to record one part and play along with it). To me, that's not "fingerstyle," which I think should be playing chords and melody together.

Having said that, it looks like the chords can be played in place of single notes in most cases. For example, the first note of the first song (page seven) shows to play an open fourth string. Above the music notes it shows to play a G chord, which has an open fourth string. The ninth measure on page eight indicates third string, second fret. The chord above it is a G7, which has the third string fretted on the second fret. So I think I can just throw in chords where they feel right and it'll sound nice.

However, I definitely think the Mark Nelson book is much better so far.

Shawn

I agree with a lot of what you said. I like in Fred's book he teaches chords up the neck, instead of just showing you one position for a song. But after showing you all the fingerings of a chord helps you to see where else you can play a song, this is great for beginners/intermediate players.

I also really like the Mark Nelson book, more of a true fingerstyle book. But like I said before, that's why I like all these different books, you can learn something from all of them :)

I also really like the Mark Nelson book, more of a true fingerstyle book. But like I said before, that's why I like all these different books, you can learn something from all of them :)
Yep, I have that Mark Nelson book. Very nice, indeed. I especially like his arrangement of Bach's Minuet in G. :cool:

Petey

Top Bottom