Banjolele tone ring

Bland Mango Patterson

Reaction score
I bought a bu tone ring and what turned up in the mail was a miniature bronze hula hoop. Any body have a description or pic of what's beneath vellum of an early Gibson ub 2 ?

I think UB-2 had a small brass ring.

I don't know if you are building a new one or fixing up an old, but...

FYI- There is no universal banjo uke part. If you ordered something online without thinking about diameter and height of the tone ring, it may not fit. banjo uke rims come in a myriad of sizes from 6-10 inches. Also, adding a tone ring to an existing instrument (if it fits on the rim) may throw the geometry off by pushing the head up into the path of where the strings are supposed to go down towards the neck.

Also, most rims are machined to fit the tone ring on the top so that the ring doesn't float around. You may be able to get it to stay on a flat segment of rim, or you may not.

Are you stretching a skin head or using a pre made one? Some heads don't have a deep enough crown to fit over the brass ring and reach all the way down under the tension hoop. fyi.

My Slingerland Maybelle had a bronze hoop similar to the one you describe. This was a very common type of tonering in early banjos.

Rights. I just notice the way it looks in old photos, it kind of rounds out the edges. The ring I have put in (what seems to be gold tone BUC copy) and what exists in my oakridge ( deluxe?) is visible and kind of flattens out between the ring and the edge, as opposed to that rounded look? I play some banjo too and know the tone ring in some of them ( please lord wont you buy me white lady) is a lot more complicated. Thanks for the answers and, arron, do you put a ring into yours? I certainly aim to buy one of your beautiful baby's one day. The hardest thing for me is to purchase a instrument I haven't played. Let me know you ever coming through Oz!

I don't put tone rings in the BU, just the big banjos. Our BU are so loud and tone full that I never wanted a tone ring added. Plus, I don't like the George Formby school of BU sound, which tends to be harsh, bright and metallic. I am happier with the woody tone we get.

Top Bottom