What's Your Favorite 8-String set?

FiL

Reaction score
I've been using Aquilas on my Lainikai O-8E for years, but with all the sting choices out there, I thought it would be nice to try something else. So I took a look around, but it seems that string choices for 8-stringers are fairly limited.

So far, I've found:

Aquila
Worth (both Clear and Brown)
GHS
Living Water
SouthCoast (for D tuning, unfortunately)

Any others out there? Anyone have a favorite? What are other O-8 players using?

And as an aside, anyone have a reasonable source for high-C strings? I always break that one, so all my spare sets are now missing that string.

- FiL

Kamaka make an 8 string set. I like Kamaka strings a lot. None of the new space-age materials have enough girth or tension for my taste. Give me old-fashioned nylon.

Hello FiL,

Actually we have two 8-string sets. The all plain set is indeed for D tuning, at least on a 17" scale. We've always felt plain strings are either too dead or too loose for good performance @ 17" for a linear C tuning.

We didn't ignore C tuning, however. There's another set with wound strings that handles that set-up exceptionally well.

Hello FiL,

Actually we have two 8-string sets. The all plain set is indeed for D tuning, at least on a 17" scale. We've always felt plain strings are either too dead or too loose for good performance @ 17" for a linear C tuning.

We didn't ignore C tuning, however. There's another set with wound strings that handles that set-up exceptionally well.

WOOPS!

I see why you would think we didn't have such a set!

With the new website, I decided to double check, and sure enough, the tension and tuning chart for the wound set is wrong. That set - the 8U-WB is for C tuning @ 17" - I'll get the site error cleaned up soon.

Sorry!

Worth Clears. They came with my 8 string Kamaka, I liked the sound so kept them on.

IMO . . . the tone, feel and resonance of the Southcoast wounds are perfect for my needs. They're easy to play and are balanced quite well.

I personally like the Kamaka 8 string sets on my Kamaka 8 stringer. Have not tried any other sets.

Top Bottom