PDA

View Full Version : Why so many black cases?

garyg
02-06-2013, 09:21 AM
So it's a beautiful day in Georgia and I'm sick at home with round two of whatever cold is going around and I thought that I'd sit outside in the warm sun and play the uke. Every case that I have is black and in sunlight turns into an oven that certainly is bad for uke health. Which made me wonder why are so many cases black rather than lighter colors that reflect heat. Tradition (actually I have several old cardboard/skin cases that aren't black) or? Enquiring minds want to know. cheers, g2

UkueBass23
02-06-2013, 10:08 AM
They make the ukuleles look thinner. Better for ukulele self esteem.

garyg
02-06-2013, 11:01 AM
They make the ukuleles look thinner. Better for ukulele self esteem.

Good one, I can use a laugh today, sniffle, sniffle, honk, honk. <g>

Pukulele Pete
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Keeps them warm in the winter.

ShawnMilo
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
My guess: Probably because it goes with everything. Most ukes are probably predominantly various shades of brown. Any non-black case runs the risk of being seen as "the wrong color" for the buyer's particular instrument. Most cases I see for sale are black or gray, although I do have one tweed one I bought for a crazy lacewood/spruce Kala. You could always decorate/customize your cases.

Pukulele Pete
02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Most musical instrument cases have always been black , violin cases, flute cases,accordian cases,trumpet cases.

Mandalyn
02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I do not want a light colored case. My cases spend a lot of time on the floor and a light color would get dirty pretty quickly.

PeteyHoudini
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I only like black cases, but I always wear black clothes too! Color coordination in my case! ;-) hehe

Petey

Pukulele Pete
02-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I think it is because the black cases won't show scuff marks like a lighter color would.

mm stan
02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Ha Ha Black ones are hard to see...and most likey less noticed to get stolen....LOL

PeteyHoudini
02-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Ha Ha Black ones are hard to see...and most likey less noticed to get stolen....LOL
I like your way of thinking! hehe

Petey

coolkayaker1
02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Black cases with red velvet linings look like puddles of wanton lust.

bodhran
02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
According to some Hollywood films black violin sized cases were first made fashionable by the associates of one Mr Al Capone.

kissing
02-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Most amplifiers are black too

itsme
02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Most musical instrument cases have always been black , violin cases, flute cases,accordian cases,trumpet cases.
Very true. Plus there's the fact that the more black/similar looking cases you have, the less likely the spouse will be able to distinguish them and notice when one is new. :p

uke552
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Very true. Plus there's the fact that the more black/similar looking cases you have, the less likely the spouse will be able to distinguish them and notice when one is new. :p

Love this...and so true!

uke552
02-06-2013, 05:43 PM
This is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while...I have the soft gig bag version for my Flea but now offered in a hard case (no more black boring cases!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDDY-FINN-HARDSHELL-HIPPIE-UKULELE-CASE-SOPRANO-/180868492585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1c9a2d29

pakhan
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Amen Brother!

itsme
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Amen Brother!
Haha! Actually I'm a "sister" but whatever.

I had five guitars and four mandolins before the ukes started arriving. Most of them in black cases. So, one small black case, and another, and...

My husband is pretty patient with me and I've never tried to hide any acquisitions, but I'm wondering when he'll think I've crossed the line. (I'm at 8 ukes and a guitalele.)

Last time around it went something like this:

Me: You know, I haven't bought a new uke in a long time.

Him: You have too many damn ukes already.

Me: But I don't have a baritone.

Him: Okay.

Well, maybe not that quickly :p

TheCraftedCow
02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Hmmm?? Jake has a bright yellow case. Very few people could say,"I thought it was mine." Go to www.lehuaukulele.com to see some really well built padded bags. I need to order some moreso, if someone wants a certain colour, I'll ask John about it.
Most of mine are in British tan, blue, yellow or pink. The front pocket panels are very colorful even on the black bags. Fabric marking pens makes for some wild colours in the designs. I made one from some remnants of the sparkle vinyl seen on chairs in the 50s. It is red-white and blue. It is lined with thick saddle pad white fleece. There is more to the case world than just black. Eddy Finn has some "too wild for me" pretty patterned bags.

Hippie Dribble
02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Black cases with red velvet linings look like puddles of wanton lust.

whoa brother, I needs me a cold shower :)

I'm an anti-black case kinda fella. I've got one green, one cream, and 2 in shades of brown. Got one black one but looking for a replacement...

808boy
02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Uke Crazy has a Wine colored case with kinda Orangey interior, beautiful. And black in different textures, alligator, crossed weaved in 2 sizes. Or how about the Tweed Case? Love the Uke Crazy cases for the price.................BO................

teruterubouzu
02-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Hmm, I wanted this bright yellow case from Kamoa (http://kamoaukuleles.com/products/kamoa-fiberglass-case), but not if people are going to think I'm a Jake acolyte and are then sorely disappointed when they hear my sorry strumming. The one I have right now is a basic black uke crazy case, but I'd like the fiberglass case for a little more protection from the elements when I wait for the bus.

nighthunte29
02-07-2013, 01:31 AM
I guess because traditionally they would be leather!
It's like asking why sound holes are round and in the middle, I heard that they would produce better sounds if they were off center to the strings, but traditionally, they are in the middle!

strumsilly
02-07-2013, 01:41 AM
I guess because traditionally they would be leather!
It's like asking why sound holes are round and in the middle, I heard that they would produce better sounds if they were off center to the strings, but traditionally, they are in the middle!I guess they were using mostly black cows

garyg
02-07-2013, 01:53 AM
This is one of the coolest things I have seen in a while...I have the soft gig bag version for my Flea but now offered in a hard case (no more black boring cases!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDDY-FINN-HARDSHELL-HIPPIE-UKULELE-CASE-SOPRANO-/180868492585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1c9a2d29

That is a cool case and you won't have trouble picking your uke out from your buddies!

ukeeku
02-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Because your stickers will look better on it, that is why they are black.

anthonyg
02-07-2013, 01:56 AM
An eBay seller called Taisamlu sells a range of ukulele cases on eBay in various colours, sizes and patterns. Perfectly decent cases although they only have 2 clasps. You wouldn't call them flight case quality but they are not bad at all.

Anthony

wickedwahine11
02-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Hmm, I wanted this bright yellow case from Kamoa (http://kamoaukuleles.com/products/kamoa-fiberglass-case), but not if people are going to think I'm a Jake acolyte and are then sorely disappointed when they hear my sorry strumming. The one I have right now is a basic black uke crazy case, but I'd like the fiberglass case for a little more protection from the elements when I wait for the bus.

I did not get it because of Jake, but I do have a yellow Kamoa case. I actually have three uke cases and none are black, the others are red and teal.

Freeda
02-07-2013, 03:59 AM
Because your stickers will look better on it, that is why they are black.

I was gonna say what does the color matter when all you can see is stickers?

RichM
02-07-2013, 04:14 AM

To save a couple bucks, consider the ABS/polycarbonate cases (900 series) from Crossrock. They have the sleek look of fiberglass at a much lower price, and come in a lot of different colors. My concert Crossrock cost $80 with free shipping from Amazon, and it's a good quality case, and looks awesome.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Anyone seen/ know where to get a tweed case with an arched top???

Black is absolutely the silliest, heat absorbent colour for an instrument case. Not sure why they are the standard.

mds725
02-07-2013, 06:31 AM

I bought a red Kamoa fiberglass case to use when I traveled to Hawaii with my Kamaka. I worried about looking like I thought I was Jake, or someone else who can actually play the ukulele, but what I really like about these cases is the combination of protection and backpack straps, which made it a lot easier to carry my ukulele while also toting around luggage. The only thing I don't like about the case I got is that the paint seems to chip off more easily than I'd like. I'm thinking of getting one of these cases for my baritone.

garyg
02-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Black is absolutely the silliest, heat absorbent colour for an instrument case. Not sure why they are the standard.

My thoughts exactly!

bbycrts
02-07-2013, 09:20 AM
My case is bright red.

One of these:

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/images/P/roy1122.jpg