Why so many black cases?

garyg

Reaction score
So it's a beautiful day in Georgia and I'm sick at home with round two of whatever cold is going around and I thought that I'd sit outside in the warm sun and play the uke. Every case that I have is black and in sunlight turns into an oven that certainly is bad for uke health. Which made me wonder why are so many cases black rather than lighter colors that reflect heat. Tradition (actually I have several old cardboard/skin cases that aren't black) or? Enquiring minds want to know. cheers, g2

They make the ukuleles look thinner. Better for ukulele self esteem.

Keeps them warm in the winter.

My guess: Probably because it goes with everything. Most ukes are probably predominantly various shades of brown. Any non-black case runs the risk of being seen as "the wrong color" for the buyer's particular instrument. Most cases I see for sale are black or gray, although I do have one tweed one I bought for a crazy lacewood/spruce Kala. You could always decorate/customize your cases.

Most musical instrument cases have always been black , violin cases, flute cases,accordian cases,trumpet cases.

I do not want a light colored case. My cases spend a lot of time on the floor and a light color would get dirty pretty quickly.

I only like black cases, but I always wear black clothes too! Color coordination in my case! ;-) hehe

Petey

I think it is because the black cases won't show scuff marks like a lighter color would.

Black cases with red velvet linings look like puddles of wanton lust.

Last edited:
According to some Hollywood films black violin sized cases were first made fashionable by the associates of one Mr Al Capone.

Very true. Plus there's the fact that the more black/similar looking cases you have, the less likely the spouse will be able to distinguish them and notice when one is new. :p

Love this...and so true!

Very true. Plus there's the fact that the more black/similar looking cases you have, the less likely the spouse will be able to distinguish them and notice when one is new. :p

Amen Brother!

Amen Brother!
Haha! Actually I'm a "sister" but whatever.

I had five guitars and four mandolins before the ukes started arriving. Most of them in black cases. So, one small black case, and another, and...

My husband is pretty patient with me and I've never tried to hide any acquisitions, but I'm wondering when he'll think I've crossed the line. (I'm at 8 ukes and a guitalele.)

Last time around it went something like this:

Me: You know, I haven't bought a new uke in a long time.

Him: You have too many damn ukes already.

Me: But I don't have a baritone.

Him: Okay.

Well, maybe not that quickly :p

Hmmm?? Jake has a bright yellow case. Very few people could say,"I thought it was mine." Go to www.lehuaukulele.com to see some really well built padded bags. I need to order some moreso, if someone wants a certain colour, I'll ask John about it.
Most of mine are in British tan, blue, yellow or pink. The front pocket panels are very colorful even on the black bags. Fabric marking pens makes for some wild colours in the designs. I made one from some remnants of the sparkle vinyl seen on chairs in the 50s. It is red-white and blue. It is lined with thick saddle pad white fleece. There is more to the case world than just black. Eddy Finn has some "too wild for me" pretty patterned bags.

Top Bottom