Rob MacKillop Here

RobMacKillop

Reaction score
Hi folks. Rob MacKillop here. If the mods don't mind, could we use this thread if members have any questions they wish to ask me about my Mel Bay publications, or other questions related to my uke playing?

I'd be happy to help out if I can. My books are listed here http://www.melbay.com/Author/Default.aspx?AuthorId=37986

Looking forward to getting to know you. If this post is regarded as spam, then just close it down. It's not my intention to do that.

Best wishes,

Rob

Hi Rob,

No, I wouldn't consider your post spam. I see you have a YouTube channel and a FaceBook page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobMacKillop

Uke players around here might appreciate things like a video tutorial of a couple of your arrangements... in that way, you can show you also want to contribute beyond selling publications. I personally have bought a number of Mel Bay pubs for the uke and that's fine with me.

Petey

Hello! I'm an American in Thailand. So glad you wrote in, Mr. MacKillop. It gives me the chance to tell you how much I love your Gaspar Sanz book. (I've just put your Celtic uke book on order). Your videos are a big help.

As for guitar: The Scottish Guitar book has such hauntingly beautiful pieces. I would like also to order th Sonatas of the Scottish Enlightenment, but I see there is no CD. Will you be offering one in future?

Please keep playing and publishing. Your music is deeply moving. Thank you so much!

Hey Rob,

I'm a fan of yours in the San Francisco Bay area. Glad that you bring so much tradition and erudition to the uke world. Thank you, and looking forwards to reading you here.

I have found that your books, those of Tony Mizen and Mark Nelson have helped my playing in other genres such as jazz and rock.

Great looking books. Offering to help folks use them classy. Welcome

Hi Rob, just got your 20 Easy-Fingerstyle-Studies-Ukulele-Book. It really is a joy to follow and play.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Rob, you are the man, you have done a lot for the uke community, particularly like the banjo instructor- what would you say is your most 'advanced' pieces book?

Hi Rob and welcome. Nigerian princes looking for help with their money is spam. Those books look very interesting and are fairly priced. Thanks for joining us

Hi Rob - how would you rank or order your books in difficulty/skill level?

Hi, Rob, and welcome to UU! :)

I have four of your books. My favorite is the Sanz.

Thanks for your contributions to the world of uke literature. I have no idea what sales figures are like or even mean in that industry, but hopefully books like yours have shown publishers like Mel Bay that uke books can be a profitable niche for them. :cool:

Welcome to UU!!!

I am really enjoying your banjo book but I can't work out how your ukulele is tuned. I'm not in tune with the CD on my uke or on my banjolele which is tuned up. Not that I can really play along, as such. Just curious.

Hi Rob, welcome to UU! I have three of your books, just got the Celtic book. I'm still learning and love the books! Glad to have you join us and want you to know how much I've enjoyed and appreciated your work.

Well, it really is gratifying to read all those positive comments. I'll try to help where I can.

A few people asked about levels of difficulty. With every book I do I try to cover pieces for all levels. I do expect people who use my books to have some ukulele experience, such as strumming a few chords. So, they are not for complete beginners. And they are not tutor books, so I don't discuss how to hold the instrument, tuning it, etc. At the other end of the scale there are technically difficult moves in high positions.

There are two technical books - 20 Easy Fingerstyle Studies and 20 Progressive Fingerstyle Studies. These were created not to just increase your technical ability but to equally improve your musicianship, reading ability (including tab), awareness of odd time accents and developed harmonies. Some times these pieces have simple right hand arpeggios so that the attention can be given to the left hand, or vice versa. I also include some fun pieces - blues, even a 12-tone serial piece where you have to make up your own rhythms.

The Sanz book is popular, and I enjoyed doing it. It does contain a couple of hard pieces, such as the famous Canarios, which is difficult on the soprano uke, but a bit easier on the concert or tenor.

Tuning of the banjo-uke - I think I might be a tone lower. The banjo-uke does not sound great, in my opinion, for fingerstyle unless it is tuned a bit lower. I guess I didn't envisage people playing along. My mistake. But you can at least hear the tunes, which, by the way, are great fun to play - among my favourites.

Impossible to rank my books in order of difficulty, as they all cover different levels.

I have no intention of recording a CD for the Scottish Enlightenment book - a guitar book. Maybe some day, as there are some really nice pieces in there.

The latest book is the Bach duets for gCEA tuning on the top part, and DGBE tuning on the bottom part. There are two solo pieces in it, but I often play the top part of the other pieces on my own, and enjoy doing so. I'm really chuffed with this book, and the recording, I think, could stand alone.

Any more questions, just ask.

Hey Rob,
Have you left the BanjoHangout??

Top Bottom