Can't play! Too depressed..

Any chance you could get together with your neighbor to play? Probably won't cheer you up, but you are living my dream! Give me an apt. in Waikiki any day.

yeah try just getting out i know if i stay in my house to long i get really sad
so go for a bike ride or a walk or just stand with the ocean at your feet and sing and play find things that make you happy

good luck and i wish you the best of times cause being depressed sucks

Alex

Try teaching someone who's never played how to play the uke. Teach them a real simple song and the joy it gives them will come around to you too

-carp

Around here - you can rent practice space for about $10 an hour. So for $50, you get a soundproof room, a PA, mics, a drum kit, and often a mixer - for five hours. Sometimes, when I can't really cut loose at home, I pony up some cash, buy a pizza and go jam my face off in one of those places.

Best advice above - get the heck out of the house and get with people. Depression is like a rough neighborhood - don't go there alone after dark.

I'd say just give it some time.. sorry to hear about your health condition. The advice about walking, being around friends, family really helps. Get out of the apt, go to places that make you happy.:)

Nothing like your situation, but I had a few really bad days lately because of what? a crashed hard drive that took out a years worth of irreplacable digi pics, vids of family etc that I neglected to back up. I know it sounds corny, but I felt really bad for a few days, reflected upon myself and my lame procrastinating and other unfinished business made me feel worse.. bad enough that I didnt want nothing to do with ukes.. now for me, thats bad.

First day I was in a near panic trying to recover the pics, on the 2nd day it hit me like a brick. I was pissed/sad why stupid me didnt back it up? etc. went out to eat. 3rd day I went out with family and avoided home as much as possible, then started cleaning up the VERY messy room where I play the uke.. slept early. 4th day I accepted the loss, went to the dentist, he said the wife and I have no cavities, well thats good to know... continued cleaning up the room etc and as I saw the results of the room less of the 7+ years of accumilated junk, I could actually see the floor now.. I started to feel ALOT better. Now a week later I'm back playing the uke just as before, so my crisis has passed. I am now a man on a mission to steadily finish up the many unfinished business in my life. all started from a crashed hard drive..:rolleyes: :eek: sorry for rambling.

You're not alone! It is funny, but I am about to be a Dad for the first time and I am both happy and sad...I hate to say that, but it is true. My wife and I want a baby and have for a long time, but I am a worrier by nature. Bringing a kid into the world should be the best thing ever, and I know it will be, but the reality of it in the face of the lousy economy here in Michigan is hitting me hard lately. I know the little dude will be great, but the pressure on me to bring home the bacon and keep a roof over our heads is higher than ever. The cash is sort of short and on top of it I don't exactly love my job. Thing is, though, I can't quit that job anymore...at least there was the option of a career change before the little guy was in the oven. When you are two paychecks away from missing a mortgage payment, though…well, it weighs on you. It is times like that I also feel a little lukewarm on playing any music at all…I don’t know why that is. If I actually put my mind to it and sit down with my ukulele or my guitar I do enjoy it, but I can’t clear my head lately! Besides, I don’t want to get attached in case Ihave to sell them all.

I know that I have a lot to be thankful for, but I am always wondering if I am up to this?! Can I do it? I am prone to worry, stress, and the occasional withdrawn days...I just hope I can give my kiddo the world he deserves.

When troubled times get me down I think of Peter Tosh singing...

"Now nothing's impossible, I've found for when my chin is on the ground,
I pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.
Don't lose your confidence if you slip, be grateful for a pleasant trip,
And pick yourself up, dust off, start over again.
Work like a soul inspired until the battle of the day is won.
You may be sick and tired, but you be a man, my son."

Or Bob Marley with this one

"Dont worry about a thing,
cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin: dont worry about a thing,
cause every little thing gonna be all right!
Rise up this mornin,
Smiled with the risin sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin, this is my message to you-ou-ou :)"

When I feel down I play "3 Little Birds" And I will start to feel better....

Blessing to all in times like these....

Last edited:
When I feel down I play "3 Little Birds" And I will start to feel better....

Blessing to all in times like these....

That is a great song
let's hear you play it freedive
please, please, yes, rather.

Wawa,
Sorry that you are feeling a bit down. I work in the health field and know how ravishing a disease diabetes can be if not controlled. Like you stated, unlike cancer, it can be controlled. Along with all the things you can do for your health like diet and exercise, just as important is your attitude. What helps me keep my attitude is to do things I enjoy such as play my uke, talking about ukes, singing, fishing, being near the ocean, my artwork, etc. sometimes the most difficult step is that first one, like picking up the uke, or getting off the couch to go down to the beach but once you do, you'll feel a lot better. Discover your passions in life, then go for it!

Another thing that I do is focus on all the things I should be grateful for. It's so easy to focus on what we don't have, what we wish we had, how things could be better, but really, all this does is make us feel like crap. Everyday, I start my day by going through in my head all that I am grateful for and then allow myself to feel that gratitude. Allow this to nurture and heal your soul.

One last thing, surround yourself with others who are positive. I find that when I'm around others who complain or get down about everything, it brings me down. Choose your friends wisely. Find a group locally that has similar interests. You should be able to hookup with a UU get together.

Strum on my friend!

Yes, you have found a family here. Brought together by the best thing in life....music.

Top Bottom