Which pickup for a Fluke?

pickup options for Fluke

• Total voters

Louis0815

Reaction score
My mindset is getting ready to ordering a Fluke from FMM directly - but the big question is: which pickup should I order?
Any recommendations/comments regarding the differences and dis-/advantages are welcome.

Ok, so the Bband is way more expensive, but it's got a tuner on board. If you're traveling with the Fluke, that might matter to you in that it's one less thing to pack.

Fortunately money doesn't matter right now, I can really go for the "best" solution. That Fluke (should I really buy it) will become pretty expensive anyway (Fluke + some extras + overseas shipping + customs) and thus I want the best possible value for my money.

The integrated tuner in the BB is indeed nice - but on the other hand I could as well attach one of my Planet Waves mini tuners....

BTW: If someone thinks that both options are kinda crap and I should go for something else feel free to tell.

Last edited:
Love those Flukes! I recently special ordered a Tie Dye Flea with a Rosewood fretboard and Lucy's colored tuners for my 50th birthday. I now have all three models, a Tenor Koa Fluke, the Concert Tie Dye Flea and a Soprano FireFly.

As far as a pickup goes, I have no experience with BBand electronics but I use K&K pickups in all of my guitars and I absolutely love them. I use the basic passive model and, if necessary, an outboard preamp. The K&K passive is still a very "hot" pickup and usually doesn't need a preamp.

Scooter

Thx for the comments so far, let me throw in some for "other":

Any thoughts on LR Baggs Five.O (Homepage)?
Or Mi-Si Acoustic Trio Uke which uses a Baggs pickup as well (Homepage)?

Apart from the need to fit it myself, of course...
The standard Fluke bridge looks as if it had a removable saddle (unlike my Flea with a fully molded bridge/saddle), so this should not be a problem.

From reviews, and ukes I've played (including one the other day with a Baggs transducer) I think the Baggs pickups are stellar.

I use a Microvox acoustic instrument pickup on my Flea. Just attaches by small self adhesive velcro pad, so easily swapped between instruments. If (when?) I get a Fluke that's what I will use.

I'm sure it's no big deal but you have to drill through plastic instead of wood for the jack.

I'm sure it's no big deal but you have to drill through plastic instead of wood for the jack.
Yeah you do. Pretty easy.

But with that flat base you lose the standing up functionality if you put it on base. As such, mine is on the side.

As such, mine is on the side.
Which is exactly where FMM would mount it: lower right corner of the body (for right-handed instruments).

I think mercatinodellukulele.it has Flukes and Fleas with pickups. They're Aquila's uke store, so reputable... If you want avoid customs and get it in the EU.
Excellent idea, thx for pointing me there....
The Tenor (natural w/BBand and Gigbag) comes at 368 EUR (~490 USD), the concert at 338 EUR (~450 USD) + free shipping.
Calculating that a direct import would come at a conversion rate USD:EUR of approx 1:1 (due to 3% customs and 19% tax) this looks like quite a bargain: buying from FMM the tenor would cost ~475 USD, the concert ~455 USD (incl. shipping)
:drool:
music

Which is exactly where FMM would mount it: lower right corner of the body (for right-handed instruments).

Excellent idea, thx for pointing me there....
The Tenor (natural w/BBand and Gigbag) comes at 368 EUR (~490 USD), the concert at 338 EUR (~450 USD) + free shipping.
Calculating that a direct import would come at a conversion rate USD:EUR of approx 1:1 (due to 3% customs and 19% tax) this looks like quite a bargain: buying from FMM the tenor would cost ~475 USD, the concert ~455 USD (incl. shipping)
:drool:
music

I knouuuu. They've got some good deals if they have the color or design you want. :)

smiley_emoticons_blog-messias.gif

icancontrolmyuas icancontrolmyuas icancontrolmyuas icancontrolmyuas icancontrolmyuas icancontrolmyuas.....

Would you have any experiemce with Aquila's return policy (should be EU standard, but couldn't find anything on their website so far)?

I've never had to return anything from them, so I don't know. I got my sk38, some cases, humidifiers, strings, and a misi pickup from them. They're friendly through email though.

The K&K is perfectly fine, but if you don't mind the extra cash, go for the B-Band. I borrowed a solidbody Fluke and absolutely loved the pickup. On par with the MiSi, in my opinion.

After the family voted against the Fluke (reminded them too much of a balalaika) I just ordered an ukelyptus Flea with BBand from Mercatino dell' Ukulele
smiley_emoticons_biggrin.gif

Would have gone for a natural one, but it's not available - and amongst Mango (orange), Lava (greyish black) and Ukelyptus (green) the choice was easy looking at my avatar.... (and finally I will have something for my red and green Aurora strings)

I've never had to return anything from them, so I don't know. They're friendly through email though.
Indeed, they are. Here's their reply:
Mercatino dell Ukulele said:
This is our policy and it is normally accepted from Italian and European law.
If you want to send it back just because you don't like it but there is not a defect or a defect of description by us you need advise us, you can ship it back, but you get back only the money of the instrument, not the money of the shipping (over 200 euros we have free shipping anyway).
If there is a defect we give you all the money back also the money of the shipping.
There are 3 months of time for this.
Guarantee also is for 3 months, except for damage provoked from you.
Please excuse me my poor English

update:
For some reason they sent me the Fluke; after I emailed them about the error, the Flea was shipped the same day and arrived the next morning - that's what I call a quick reaction...

Last edited:
I finally recorded a quick sample of the BBand vs. acoustic:

Recording "equipment": pickup cable was plugged directly in line-in of my soundcard, the acoustic part was recorded simultaneously with my smartphone - no special effects, no magic. Just plain strumming ;)

PS: Played on a concert Flea with re-entrant Living Water Strings

Last edited:
Top Bottom