So we're going to Hawaii this year, and I'm leaving with a Kanilea

LutzSpearo

Reaction score
The wife and I decided that this year's vacation will be to Hawaii. We are planning on going to Oahu, where I lived for a few years, and also to Kauai. We are super stoked! And an extra special aspect for me.. I want to leave with a Kanilea ukulele.

I haven't decided on a concert or tenor yet, but I love the sound and looks of a Kanilea, so that is decided. I do have a couple questions though, maybe some of you can give me some input. I'm budgeting around $1500 (plus or minus, probably plus lol) for this thing, so I intend for it to last as long as ukes last (a lifetime if properly taken care of?) I also intend for this to be my baby, my main uke, if not one and only uke, for a long long time. I'm not a collector, I like to get one quality item that I love, and keep it.

1. How does a gloss finish hold up over time? I think their gloss finish is awesome and really makes the koa pop, but I would imagine it might show strum marks or get worn/dull areas over time, I don't know.

2. How do things like bindings, inlays etc. hold up over time? I would think the simpler the uke, the less likely things will go wrong with it down the road, but I don't know. Can these things wiggle loose or pop out of place?

3. Should I buy directly from Kanilea or go through someone like HMS? I would hope Kanilea does a fine set-up since these ukes are pricey. I do know HMS does a great job with great service. Would there likely be a cost savings buying it direct?

The other questions I have so far are things I need to determine for myself (any options or barebones). I want to keep it simple, but with some sick koa, curly with contrasting light and dark shades. Maybe a simple binding and MOP rosette... kind of like this one
http://www.theukulelesite.com/kanilea-k-pac-premium-koa-concert-package.html
This one I linked may be too fancy for me though, I like the thinner rosette I've seen on some others, if any. Anyway I still need to decide how much to trick it, likely less than more. I just know I want the koa to be phenomenal, like I said.

Anyway, I got ideas spinning, any and all advice is welcome! Is there anything else important I should consider? Thanks!!

You probably have enough time to order exactly what you want directly from Joe at Kanile'a then pick it up when you get there.

I would talk to both Kanile'a and HMS and check for availability. If you're gonna do a custom order as you mentioned (rosette and binding), I would contact Kanile'a directly and make the necessary arrangements before leaving for the islands. I also favor the gloss and strum marks have never been a problem (for me). The gloss finish IMO just brings out more of the wood. The instruments are well made and shouldn't encounter problems over time.

...I also favor the gloss and strum marks have never been a problem (for me). The gloss finish IMO just brings out more of the wood. The instruments are well made and shouldn't encounter problems over time.
I agree...I love the gloss finish on Kanile'a ukes. No problems at all at the uke looks stunning!!!!

If you find a uke you like at HMS, I would buy it there--their customer service is great and totally worth it if you end up having problems. Kanilea might be good with customer service too, but nobody is as good as HMS

Gloss brings out the curl so if you have stunning koa, gloss is the way to go

HMS will do their fine tuning set up for you and I think it is a big plus if you are paying the same price..it's an extra the factory cannot offer you....Good Luck...

I have had mine since Oct 2009, and it looks as good as the day I bought it. Gloss finish is pristine, not a scratch or mark on it. I don't have binding or rosette on mine, but the koa is so dramatic it doen't need any more detail. I got mine at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, since I found myself on Oahu on a Sunday, and the music stores were closed. They had a good 6 or 7 Kanile'a for me to try out.

–Lori

When will you be on Oahu? If during the middle of July, please plan on attending the Ukulele Festival at Kapiolani Park,

43rd Annual Ukulele Festival
Sunday, July 21, 2013
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Kapiolani Park, Waikiki, Oahu

If you're going to be there, I have some info that will permit you to become a performer (with a bout 100 other players around 'our' age) and that means getting a Performer's Gold Medallion for your efforts, and bragging rights to go with it:)

Captain Roy from Houston, TX, another UUer, invited me to join him so I became a 'performer' with him and got my own Performer's Medallion!! along with several other UUers.

Anyway, PM me and I'll give you the low down:)

keep uke'in',

1. How does a gloss finish hold up over time? I think their gloss finish is awesome and really makes the koa pop, but I would imagine it might show strum marks or get worn/dull areas over time, I don't know.

2. How do things like bindings, inlays etc. hold up over time? I would think the simpler the uke, the less likely things will go wrong with it down the road, but I don't know. Can these things wiggle loose or pop out of place?

3. Should I buy directly from Kanilea or go through someone like HMS? I would hope Kanilea does a fine set-up since these ukes are pricey. I do know HMS does a great job with great service. Would there likely be a cost savings buying it direct?

1. Gloss and satin finishes are a matter of personal preference and one is not better than the other. However, a well-executed gloss finish will not dull with playing. On the other hand, a satin finish may become glossy over time in places where your hand touches.

2. Bindings and inlays are glued on and very rarely come loose. I've seen it happen on antique instruments that have been left in attics, but very, very rarely on modern instruments that are properly cared for. If you like these features, I wouldn't worry at all about longevity.

3. I can't speak for Kanilea, but many manufacturers prefer you work thorugh a dealer. It also works well for you, as you have an advocate that can work with the factory should you have any sort of problem.

I've bought three ukes by mail through HWS and have always been pleased. However, a couple of months ago we vacationed on Kauai, and I stopped into Scotty's Music in Kalaheo (south part of the island). He had a couple of gorgeous premium Kanilea Tenor Koas with the three Honu inlays. His prices are better than HMS.....so I took one home! It's the best uke in my collectiion.

Check him out. Friendly shop and nice staff. Telll him Paul from Seattle sent you! have fun!

I went to the Big Island and Kauai late last year and bought a Kanile'a from Scotty's at Kalaheo. I got a great deal (K1 Premium Tenor for $ 1099). That said, if I had been going to Oahu and Kauai instead, I'd have bought it from HMS. You owe it to yourself to at least pay them a visit.

I've bought three ukes by mail through HWS and have always been pleased. However, a couple of months ago we vacationed on Kauai, and I stopped into Scotty's Music in Kalaheo (south part of the island). He had a couple of gorgeous premium Kanilea Tenor Koas with the three Honu inlays. His prices are better than HMS.....so I took one home! It's the best uke in my collectiion.

Check him out. Friendly shop and nice staff. Telll him Paul from Seattle sent you! have fun!

Scotty dug one of those out to try & persuade me to buy one. Utterly gorgeous instrument, and Mrs Kahuna said to buy it if I wanted it, but the tuners were so tight I'd have needed pliers to tune it. Put me off at the time.

Thank you everyone for chiming in! We are going in September, so I can't make the festival in July (and I doubt anyone would want to hear me play yet anyway). But it does give me time to place an order directly with Kanilea if that's the route I choose to take. In the meantime, I think I have decided on the only extra detail I would like to compliment the koa is this: the "K" logo inlaid into the headstock to be made from mother of pearl. Like another poster said, if the koa is stunning it doesn't need much else added to it. Plus, the minimized extras will help me keep closer to budget.

I am pretty sure I have decided on a concert, but will play some tenors this weekend at a shop and see. I've been playing a concert daily for over a month and the size feels very comfortable for me. I'm thinking the fretboard on the tenor might be a little too spaced out for my hands, but we'll see this weekend.

I have sent an email to Andrew at HMS explaining what I've basically explained here, and asked if he could arrange for something like this. I don't know if they take custom orders or if I have to go through Kanilea directly, but I would love to work with HMS just because I like their style and service. We'll see what he says.

Thanks again everyone for your input!!! I'll keep you posted!

I think the only maintenance needed is from playing. Over time ... A long time.. You might need a refret. Also, you'll want to replace the knarley plastic bridge pins with wooden ones. The wood on my fretboard has settled a bit (over 3 years) and a few of the fret ends need to be filed down. It didn't come like that. I figured I'd make an event of it and get some Waverly tuners put on at the same time, this summer.

The gloss finish only needs to be wiped down with a microfiber cloth to look like it's never been played. The only two things you'll want to immediately change are the bridge pins, and the action might come default-high just at the saddle. Because it's easier to lower than raise.

Congratulations, Lutz! The trip and the uke sound amazing. You are going to have a beautiful instrument.

One thing to keep in mind: you will pay HI sales tax if you buy it there on Oahu as opposed to mail order.

Hmmm, if you're going to Hawaii wouldn't it make more sense to leave with an empty suitcase and return with a Kanilea? :) Sorry, couldn't resist, possibly because I'm green with envy...

John

Thanks for the replies everyone. The more I look at the uke I linked in my original post, the more I like it. ( http://www.theukulelesite.com/kanilea-k-pac-premium-koa-concert-package.html ) The one thing that I'm not comfortable with is the color of the rosewood in bridge and fretboard, they don't seem match. I would honestly order this one if it weren't for that. The fretboard almost looks like its ebony, while the bridge is a much lighter color. But the koa is really beautiful, and I like the rosette the more I watch the video. Plus, I spoke with Aaron at HMS about ordering a custom through him and if Kanilea makes the headstock logo with mother of pearl, he said they don't make those mother of pearl "K" inlays on these models. So if I were to order a custom one, this one they have is everything I would want, the only hang up for me is the fretboard and bridge color thing. I could order a custom like this, but wood is wood... they may be able to match the fretboard and bridge better, but the koa may not be as stunning.

I can't believe I'm complaining about this, that uke is beautiful and I'm lucky the boss is saying "don't wait until we go to Hawaii, just get it now if you like it".

Have a wonderful vacation! And enjoy your special new uke when you find it. We're heading to the Big Island next month. I'd love to come home with a Compass Rose or a Moore Bettah although I don't think that's gonna happen ;)

Top Bottom