Gretsch Claraphone Banjo Uke inquiry

D

dhoenisch

Hello all. I am still in a search for a banjo uke, and while I would prefer an antique, I keep getting outbid on even the crappiest of ukes. Anyhow, I noticed Gretsch has a concert sized banjo uke. While I think I would rather have a soprano, I do like the look of the Gretsch. Also, I want a banjo with a resonator so my fat gut doesn't soak up all the sound, so this looks like it fits the bill, and even looks somewhat vintage.

Anyhow, I didn't see much about them on this site. Does anyone own one, and if so, can you please share your experiences?

Or... if anyone has an old beat up soprano banjo uke they would like to sell, I'm sort of in the market.

Dan

Sorry can't really help with your quest, but would be interested to learn about this BU. It caught my eye recently while looking for a BU, but apparently Fender (who distribute these in the UK) have supply issues and they are out of stock everywhere until June.

I've got one in my shop right now. When we first got it in I wasn't that impressed. Then I put a set of D'Addario Nyltech strings on it, and set it up, including tightening the head on the banjo. Now it sounds AMAZING! I had a Beansprout Concert Banjo, and the Gretsch I think gives it a run for the money.

I have a Gretsch Clarophone banjo mandolin with a 13.25" scale. It has 16 J hooks on a 10.25" skin head. Around the side are the bugle side of a grommet between each of the hooks. Currently it is an open back. With the holes in the side, a reflector on the back which had the grillwork opening to the front would be just extra weight. To put a back the same diameter of the pot would reflect the sound which is lost when it presses against clothing (or bare skin). It joins two banjo mandolins with full 13.5" reflectors with bow tie or butterfly designs on the chrome grills. One is GG CC EE AA. the other just GCEA. They are next to two 6" Ferry soprano ukuleles with skin heads and f holes on the back. The back is domed from having been turned on a lathe. One is mahogany and the other maple. The newest additions are Eddie Finn concert EF-BU1F concert with maple reflector and neck and body. It is a flat head 8" with antique brass plated hardware. It has a Lifetime Warranty and a Remo fibreskin head. It is spectacular! It's little brother is a sopranoEF-UB1 open back which has had a back plate put on that allows 3/16" of space between the plate and the back of the pot. The idea came from the EF-BU2 I just sold that had the same reflector on it. The buyer liked the sound without the additional size and weight of the larger reflector and metal grill face. The last one on the rack is a soprano Hollywood which was sold by Scherson Company in Los Angeles. It has a rolled head rather than just flat. The Gretsch also has a rolled head. Oh..I forgot the Giannini banjo cavaquinho with the grill work at the upper front rather than at the back. It also has a passive pick up so it can be amped. It is without a doubt the most beautiful of any of them. Do I need to keep them all? No, some of them need rehomed. Anyone interested let me know and I shall round them up for a photo shoot.

Last edited:
The newest additions are Eddie Finn concert EF-BU1F concert with maple reflector and neck and body. It is a flat head 8" with antique brass plated hardware. It has a Lifetime Warranty and a Remo fibreskin head. It is spectacular!

[thread drift] My opinion of it as well. What strings do you have on yours? That's quite a collection there! [/thread drift off]

Good luck with the search dhoenisch. I haven't seen the new Gretsch models but sure like the looks of the vintage ones with the port grommets. Have you tried playing any of the vintage soprano banjo ukes? On the Slingerland I have, the soprano fretboard is very narrow. You might prefer the concert scale.

Thanks all. At a banjo group last night, a guy handed me a $1,200 tenor banjo uke, and I kind of liked that size, but would like something a little smaller, so maybe a concert is a better size. My favorite uke size is soprano, but soprano banjo ukes do seem to almost be too small (played a Lanikai soprano quite recently), so maybe the Gretsch might fit the bill. I don't have enough money saved up to purchase it right now though. I kind of wish stores around me had more than just Lanikai. I like to try any instrument before I buy it, but in this case, I don't think it will happen.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Oh, and CraftedCow, I'm always up for some instrument pictures, so, by all means, post away!

Dan

played the soprano size last weekend. It was too quiet for my taste. I like em noisy. Maybe the setup?

I bought a Gretsch Claraphone last summer, was initially disappointed, but then changed the strings to Aquila Nylgut, and liked it more, but am not entirely pleased.

Bluegrass is a favorite genre, so it is not that I don't like the banjo sound or I'm unaccustomed to it. The Gretsch has good volume, but the pitch or intonation seems off as I go up the neck. The neck on this instrument feels thicker than my other concert size ukes, too. It is just a little harder to play than my other ukes. Maybe the nut needs some adjustment? I believe I have the bridge in the correct location.

This was my first internet purchase of a stringed instrument, so I'm unsure where to take it locally, in the Minneapolis area, to have someone look at the set up. I feel generally ignorant about set up; for me, things feel/sound right or they don't, and this one does not.

It seems to have a lot of potential.
I can try the D'Adarrio strings as suggested.

Any advice, would be appreciated.
thanks a bunch.

Top Bottom