The advantage of the concert and tenor sizes over the soprano

DaleR

Reaction score
Hello UUers!

Could you please give your opinion on the advantages of the concert and tenor sizes over the soprano uke. I have done some research, but having the additional tension on the strings, unless they are indeed of a lighter weight, seems a disadvantage to me. I also prefer the lighter sound of the soprano, so again, that is not an advantage for me. HELP!

The biggest advantage to me is the size, a concert or tenor scale gives you more room on the fingerboard. You can also use the low G tuning on these instruments much more effectively on a soprano, which gives you some extended range in scale when picking plus offers a different, and to me, a sometimes better tonality for a given song. I also like the higher tension on a concert, as on a soprano with fluorocarbon strings, I tend to push some of the chords out of tune.

One thing I've come to understand about ukuleles and the culture surrounding them is that there's rarely any objective "better," "best," "good," or "bad." If you like something, then it's "right." If you like tenors better than sopranos, then tenors are "better."

If you like playing a soprano, it's not too cramped for your fingers, and you like the soprano you have, then you're in fantastic shape. If you think a soprano is too small for your hands, try something bigger.

It seems that most famous uke players play tenors. I personally prefer concerts, because I don't have enough room on a soprano fretboard and a tenor makes me have to stretch my fret hand too much. So, for me, a concert is perfect.

So, back to, like, your opinion man. :D

Speaking from (limited) experience, I'd say you HAVE to go and play some ukes of different sizes before parting with your cash!

The tone of my concert is great, but I do love the playability of my soprano. I couldn't chose between them, but if I had to, I'd say I actually prefer the soprano size, even though I struggle to fit all my fingers into the frets......

It won't stop me getting a tenor though - because collecting them is just as addictive as playing them!

Sorry - I'm not helping much, am I? :eek:

I chatted with Mike at Uke Republic and have come up with the same conclusions as my research had shown. I am just fine with the soprano size. My baritone is for additional session keys. My UBass Rocks!:eek:

No advantage as far as I am concerned.

I 'suppose' for absolute beginners the common line of 'more space' may (just may) ring true, but I'm not totally convinced myself.

I started on soprano, and played a couple religiously for a year. Then bought a concert. Sure I liked it, but it didnt stand out to me over the soprano.

I'm 6 foot 4, have very large hands. My favourite sizes are tenor and soprano, but based on tone. So go figure. They provide enough contrast to me such that I've sold my concerts and unless something amazing fell my way, I can't see why I would buy another.

Anyone claiming an advantage is only giving personal opinion.

The advantage is more frets. I play songs that go up to the 17th fret. Can't do that on a soprano.

Sometimes "more space" can be a bad thing. Some pieces that require a large fret span can be easily played on a soprano, with moderate effort on concert, and virtually impossible on tenor.

I started on a tenor, and I now have at least one of each size, but my favorite now is concert size.

I have only recently started playing concert and soprano size but I think each size offers something different. The tenors have a lot of room on the fingerboard, the sustain is better, the tone is more mellow, and most obvious they have more frets. You can fingerpick on a soprano, but playing while my guitar gently weeps is going to be difficult. Not to mention like the others have said, you get different tunings and you get low G. I didn't care for low G at first but now that I have a dedicated uke for each tuning, I like it low.. You can also get GCEA strings for your bari and see if it grows on you.

I agree with those that say you pretty much need 1 (or 2) of each size, in each tuning, in every tone wood...

After reading the thread title again, I just wanted to add, I don't think there is an advantage one has over the other.

It's like ice cream, sometimes you want chocolate (tenor), sometimes you want strawberry (soprano), and sometimes you want them mixed together (concert).
Thank goodness for Baskin Robbins! (Ukerepublic, HMS, Gryphon, etc..)

After reading the thread title again, I just wanted to add, I don't think there is an advantage one has over the other.

It's like ice cream, sometimes you want chocolate (tenor), sometimes you want strawberry (soprano), and sometimes you want them mixed together (concert).
Thank goodness for Baskin Robbins! (Ukerepublic, HMS, Gryphon, etc..)

Kind of my view. And my choice of tenor and soprano. Not yet found a good balanced reason why I need concert, but I'm not against concerts per se.

It's pretty simple, actually, if you prefer the lighter sound of a soprano body, and like the feel of the fretboard and so on, there is no advantage for you in the other size ukes - which is a plus for you as you can concentrate your UAS on just one size... LOL

John

Sort of one size fits all, which I have already broken I'm afraid! Thanks peeps!:cheers:

One thing I've come to understand about ukuleles and the culture surrounding them is that there's rarely any objective "better," "best," "good," or "bad." If you like something, then it's "right." If you like tenors better than sopranos, then tenors are "better."

If you like playing a soprano, it's not too cramped for your fingers, and you like the soprano you have, then you're in fantastic shape. If you think a soprano is too small for your hands, try something bigger.

It seems that most famous uke players play tenors. I personally prefer concerts, because I don't have enough room on a soprano fretboard and a tenor makes me have to stretch my fret hand too much. So, for me, a concert is perfect.

So, back to, like, your opinion man. :D

Good explanation, IMO. I like things about each size so now I have 3 and a baritione on the way. There are days when I choose one over the other, but my tenor gets played the most. I just had to try the other sizes. I almost sold my pineapple awhile back, but I'm glad I kept it. Sometimes I get frustrated because I can't play all my ukes as often as I imagine that I should though. Just saying that multi uke ownership can cause some of us angst :(. I went through this same scenario with my horns. I guess I'll never learn....

And...I just bought one of Tiki King's hand painted Tiki Flukes, so I will know the feel of a concert very soon!

Top Bottom