Thoughts on this vintage Martin

davidrboy

Reaction score
Who has something to say about this little Martin? Approximate age? Model? Thoughts?

I am curious about it...

Would appreciate any and all comments.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 96
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 103
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 94
can we see the tuners

Looks like a classic Martin S0. It's in great shape---and it's probably older than me. (I'm forty.)

If you're ever out of town and you need a Portlander to uke-sit for you, let me know. I'd be happy to take of that uke while you're away. ;)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...in-soprano-quot-0-quot&highlight=style+martin

agree, Style O (I think the tuners would help date it from 1950-60 to before.

Here's a recent thread about the style of uke you have op.

Yeah, it's a Style 0. I'd put it in the 60's from the white tuners and the headstock logo :)

In September there is a new book coming out "The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar". All about Martin ukes, looking forward to that.

Do you like it? Are you happy/comfortable with the price? If so - go for it.

I am comfortable with both I think, but the timing is less than ideal. Sure would help if someone bought my Honu tenor off the marketplace....

First - the disclaimer - I'm no expert on vintage ukes by anybody's stretch of the imagination!

That said, I think I'd examine the headstock pretty closely - if those cracks around the G tuner are just in the finish then it's no big deal, but a couple of them seem to radiate from under the tuner washer - I'd want to make sure that they weren't structural.

Other than that, nice looking uke!

can we see the tuners

I agree about seeing the tuners if possible. From the hint of a tuner that can be seen, I am guessing they are Klusen. If they are than I would guess the age to be late 1940's......maybe early 1950's.

It's in great condition and only the nicks and scratches on the headstock..how much is it....style O... could not see the tuners to date it...
if the price is right...grab it man...it lloks like it has the shark fin tuners and a uke I have...I would play it too...my only vintage martin that is so so in sound...

Last edited:
Yeah, it has the shark fin style tuners. Will post pictures tomorrow.
What a ballpark number, going by the pictures.
I really appreciate the feed back folks.

I know the uke, I saw the ad too. I think the price is about right. I would guess it to be late 40s if the tuners are Klusen. Certainly no later than the 50s. If you like the way it sounds, buy it. If I didn't have an 0, I would have already bought it. Go!

Oh, indeed. Definitely going to play it. But I want to have an informed idea on price. I play concerts and tenors, and always told myself my first (probably only) sop would be a vintage beauty. So I don't know what fair might be, but would like to be prepared with a ballpark when I check it out tomorrow.
Thanks folks.

Pdx, I knew you must have seen it. Was waiting for you to chime in. Figured with your new tenor you might let this one pass by.

m6.jpgm5.jpg

Here is a picture of the tuners. I haven't bought it yet, but am seriously considering it. Still curious about what folks think it might be be worth - ballpark wise. I like it but would like to know what is a fair price if I like how it sounds.
Thanks.

Top Bottom