Ukulele Not-So-Good Dream

PatriciaPDX

Reaction score
Ha, first time a ukulele was a part of a dream I had! Last night I dreamed I had driven a very long way to attend a ukulele club-type event, and we were all standing out on the lawn beforehand, talking. There were a few UU people in the group I was standing with, I remember Jon and Berni in particular. I had bought a new uke and was talking about it, and then I opened the case and it was empty! I couldn't believe I'd forgotten to bring it; someone said I had time to go home and get it, but I said I didn't think I could make it there and back in 15 minutes. I didn't know what to do, and in a few minutes someone brought me what looked like a child's guitar, but it was a uke. "We found it in the back of a closet; you can play this!" the person said. "But it's missing the C string," I complained. I was reassured that no one would notice and then we all went inside. Everyone started to play and I just sort of held this pseudo-uke and was feeling awful about leaving my nice new uke at home. And then I woke up! I told my daughter about it this morning, and she said, "Must be the ukulele equivalent of the dream of being somewhere without any clothes on." Maybe so!

Last edited:
Ha, first time a ukulele was a part of a dream I had! Last night I dreamed I had driven a very long way to attend a ukulele club-type event, and we were all standing out on the lawn beforehand, talking. There were a few UU people in the group I was standing with, I remember Jon and Berni in particular. I had bought a new uke and was talking about it, and then I opened the case and it was empty!
I once brought an empty case to our uke club meeting, DUH!!

Dreams can be broken down into four parts: 1) Place 2) People 3) Actions 4)Emotions

1) A familiar place? Unknown place? Travelling to a place? A hybrid place reminding one of several places? What does this place mean to me? What emotion does this place evoke?

2) Is one alone? Are there people around? Do I know them or are they strangers? What do these people mean to me? What emotions do they evoke?

3) Actions/Events: what happened? what am I doing? Running? etc..

4) Emotions felt in dream... fear, embarrassment, anger, etc..

It's interesting that you included all of the four dream parts in your story. All you need to do is analyze the dream based on those four points and you'll figure it out. Most dreams reflect our current worries. Also, dreams are often peppered with insignificant things from the day before as well... I saw a vase of flowers and in my dream... and I dreamt of flowers, but not necessarily in a vase.

As for your uke dream, the theme is definitely "going out of one's way to make a major effort but one forgets the most important thing. You drive to this faraway uke event... but you can't believe you forgot the uke. Also, the fact that none of the other uke players seemed to mind you would be using a uke without the essential C string -- a fact that annoyed you, and you go back once again to the point of feeling bad that you had forgotten to bring the uke. Replace the uke with other things in your life and you'll figure it out.

Just a few fun comments... I used to like to analyze dreams. hehe

Petey

"Must be the ukulele equivalent of the dream of being somewhere without any clothes on." Maybe so!

At least you still had your G string !

A buddy of mine drove an hour and a half to a jam on the Eastern Shore of Virginia with an empty mandolin case.

Bill

At least you still had your G string !

I can't believe you went there...and beat me to it. LOL

I very rarely remember dreaming at all. I do remember about a week ago I was having a whole series of crazy bizarre dreams where I was in a bunch of different situations and just could not get warm. Then I woke up and realized that I'd forgotten to turn the heater on and my wife had stolen all the blankets...

John

Then I woke up and realized that I'd forgotten to turn the heater on and my wife had stolen all the blankets...
How about the common dream where you can't find or get to the bathroom for some reason or another? And when you suddenly wake up... hehe

I've had the radio on quietly in the morning and I'm hearing it my dream and the dream is reacting to what I'm hearing! Amazing lucid dreaming with external audio running the show! hehe

Petey

Last edited:
As a kid, I used to have wild reoccurring dreams of flying my bed around. I would hate waking up from them, having so much fun. Would try and force myself to go back to sleep and take off again, but it never worked.

Back in uni, my psyche teacher said dream analysis was hooey. Dreams are just entertainment or possibly problem solving through entertainment and nothing more. Try playing lots of violent video games before bed and see what happens to your dreams. ;)

Now that the skeptic hat is off, I once had a dream that my husband left my Koaloha out in conditions that cracked it. I didn't yet have a Koaloha and he is known to be the typical husband, but has never touched my ukes. I had to shake off the anger at him when I woke up. :)

I did once bring an empty clarinet case to a concert though. Good times. I'll totally let you play my toy uke with the missing string if you forget yours though. :)

i once dreamed that i ate the world's largest marshmallow

i woke up and couldn't find my pillow

I did once bring an empty clarinet case to a concert though. Good times. I'll totally let you play my toy uke with the missing string if you forget yours though. :)

OMG, Plainsong, I did the same thing! I had to RACE home to get it and barely made it, and then realized I had left my reed case home! Had to borrow an untrimmed out of the box reed! Blegh!

$T2eC16hHJGoE9nuQhn5vBQwlFqzKr!~~60_57.jpg$T2eC16JHJHwE9n8igvMfBQwlFqP6(w~~60_57.jpg$T2eC16FHJGkE9no8fyJzBQwlGBVi+g~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqZHJE0FCssiU5GJBQwlFnm32w~~60_57.jpg
Steve, all you need is a banjo uke and that joke and I can book you three weeks on the Orpheum Circuit.
lol thom, u slay me.

vintage banjo uke should be here in about 24 hours. already on my signature below lol

ps thom and petey, added ebay photos here pretty unique. 1.5 inch nut...i couldnt do 1 inch true banjo nut. now back to dreams lol

Last edited:
My main instrument is piano. So far, I haven't forgotten it.
My second instrument used to be tuba. So far, I haven't forgotten it.
My third instrument is accordion. So far, quite a few people may have wished that I'd forgotten it.
My fourth instrument is guitar, if I can remember where I keep it.
My fifth instrument is ukulele, which I had truly forgotten about, until two years ago, when I picked it up again after 25 years...
The line between dreams and reality is blurred, though.
I have a gig tonight. Hope I remember which instrument to play.

Just don't play uke in bass clef.

My main instrument is piano. So far, I haven't forgotten it.
My second instrument used to be tuba. So far, I haven't forgotten it.
My third instrument is accordion. So far, quite a few people may have wished that I'd forgotten it.
My fourth instrument is guitar, if I can remember where I keep it.
My fifth instrument is ukulele, which I had truly forgotten about, until two years ago, when I picked it up again after 25 years...
The line between dreams and reality is blurred, though.
I have a gig tonight. Hope I remember which instrument to play.

As a kid, I used to have wild reoccurring dreams of flying my bed around. I would hate waking up from them, having so much fun. Would try and force myself to go back to sleep and take off again, but it never worked.

I experience this when I was young. I wondered if this was what they meant by "Astral Travel". When I grew older, and started drinking it just didn't happen again.

And the radio thing is great. I do the same thing. I wake up with the radio but sometimes I just incorporate what's on the radio into my dreams.

Anthony

Top Bottom