Dots on side of fret board? How many?

audioruss

Reaction score
I am having some dots added to the side of my fretboard to help with finger positioning. I have a Mele Tenor and the fretboard has 1dot in third fret, two one the 5th fret, 1 on the seventh, 2on the tenth, and one on the twelve and fourteenth.

I play guitar and the double dots on the 10th fret confused me at first but now I am used to it. I guess my question is should I duplicate the side dots to match the finger board? Is it common to have 2 dots on the 10th and one on the twelve?

What pattern do you use?

Russ

Just my opinion, but if this is your personal instrument and you are going to use the side dots as a reference when you play, then I would use whatever pattern or whatever was going to be most useful to me. Go with what you are used to?

How 'bout Roman numerals? III, V, VII, X, XII. ;)

I prefer 2 on the 12th...I rely on the dots on the side and don't look at the fretboard

One each on #s 3,5,7,10,12, and 15.
Maybe two at 12.

I think the most common pattern I see is one dot each for 3(optional),5,7,10 and two on 12. I really only use the side dots, and don't even see the front dots when I'm playing.
–Lori

I always place them one on each of 3,5,7 10 and two on 12, then one again on 15 and 17.

I get a fair number of clients that are surprised at seeing them included up there, but thankful as it helps for those folks that go past the 12th fret. And it doesn't take anything more than a couple of minutes extra to install.

I've got a mate that's a bit of a larrikin and when getting tips from an local repairman and luthier about fret markers and their positioning, said "That pattern is too complicated. I'm just going to put them every second fret".

Look on seasoned professionals face.....priceless.:D

I'd go for no more than 5,7 and two on 12

I don't have traditional fret markers on my fretboard. I find the dot on 10 to be pretty helpful. I can't tell you how many times I have played the 11th fret when I wanted 10 or 12.

Top Bottom