My Uke and Envy

UkEdman90

Reaction score
Man just sitting here at my computer playn my baby "Sierra" lookn out at Rancho Cucamonga peak is all to relaxing. Unfortunately im imagining that sunset on the north shore of Oahu! only been there once and the BUMS WERE HAPPY! its a whole different world that Hawaii! I WANT TO OWN A HOUSE THERE EXTREMELY BAD! but as the title states I envy thoze that live there! all i hear from over here is that "you would hate it, you will get Island fever!" WTF! im a pretty easy going guy! my favorite thing 2 do is chill at home or drive 2 the beach and fish! SO HOW WOULD I HATE HAWAII? Man i envy thoze who live there and get to play the uke any night of the week with that sunset! i truly envy you no matter your financial status! Furthermore anyone wana let me live with them? haha

keep the Hawaiian love going yall!

-Don

:nana:

I know what you mean. Being a step away from homeless on Kaua'i for the summer with a tent, a suitcase, and a cheap uke was still more satisfying than being stuck at home where it's winter 6 months out of the year and most people are slaves to monotony and excess. :(

I know what you mean. Being a step away from homeless on Kaua'i for the summer with a tent, a suitcase, and a cheap uke was still more satisfying than being stuck at home where it's winter 6 months out of the year and most people are slaves to monotony and excess. :(

I KNOW! totally sux! totally sux! :mad:

You know for the year I lived on St Croix USVI (long before the Uke came into my life) I would see people move down there then after a couple months move off the island and all the while complain there was nothing to do.

A guy dies and is standing in front of the pearly gates and is told he has a choice between Heaven and Hell, he gets to spend a week in each before choosing.
He goes to Hell and it was a nonstop party topless women everywhere happy hour free drinks all day and night, Sun shining on sandy beaches and so on and on....
Off to Heaven he goes and its nothing but old folks sitting around drinking coffee and reading the paper, bummed he goes back in front of the pearly gates and chooses Hell...

When he gets there NOone will talk to him cuz he is not from there, everyone hates him cuz he's not a local, all the women are dressed head to toe and will have noting to do with him cuz the missionarys came, Wind blowing & Rain pouring down and he has to work 20 hours & 7 days a week just to afford the place....

He walks up to the Devil and starts to complain Blah blah blah...
The Devil looks at him and said "What did you expect... last time you were here you were on Vacation!!!"

A guy dies and is standing in front of the pearly gates and is told he has a choice between Heaven and Hell, he gets to spend a week in each before choosing.
He goes to Hell and it was a nonstop party topless women everywhere happy hour free drinks all day and night, Sun shining on sandy beaches and so on and on....
Off to Heaven he goes and its nothing but old folks sitting around drinking coffee and reading the paper, bummed he goes back in front of the pearly gates and chooses Hell...

When he gets there NOone will talk to him cuz he is not from there, everyone hates him cuz he's not a local, all the women are dressed head to toe and will have noting to do with him cuz the missionarys came, Wind blowing & Rain pouring down and he has to work 20 hours & 7 days a week just to afford the place....

He walks up to the Devil and starts to complain Blah blah blah...
The Devil looks at him and said "What did you expect... last time you were here you were on Vacation!!!"

Ha! That is great! I go to Hawaii usually twice a year...generally a couple of days in Honolulu and a week in Poipu, Kauai. I used to really wish I could live there but I've always wondered about island fever. Still, there is no place in the world I love more than Poipu. Can't wait to go back in May. There is a frozen mai tai at Keoki's waiting on me!

Moving somewhere nice is only really worth it if you have something to do when you get there. I can see why many people blow it by moving to Hawai'i after going there on vacation, only to find out that the job market is just as bad as anywhere else, and that being a beach bum gets old fast. Getting a taste of living there certainly helps first.

Still, most of my friends in Hawai'i wouldn't consider living anywhere else; they just like to discourage tourists by saying it sucks. ;)

OK I feel obliged to post on this thread. Obviously I'm a haole and that in itself can be quite difficult in Hawai'i (Never really experienced it myself). I moved to O'ahu in 1997 with military and hated it at first (fiance back home) then I got dumped and started dateing a Hawaiian from Maui. That changed my view. I got out of the Marines and moved home and 6 months later gave up my career and moved to Maui. Absolutely loved it. 6 months later the Hawaiian girlfriend dumped me (dad didn't like haoles) and I almost moved back. Took a vacation home (Ga) for Christmas and got off the plane wearing slippers, board shorts, and a Maui Built long sleeve Tee. Realized Georgia wasn't for me (hadn't even picked up a uke yet). Low and behold I bought another ticket back and stayed until 9/11 when I got recalled and realized how sick my mother was. Moved back to Georgia and have been misreable ever sense. I will say that by moving back to Georgia I got my college degree and am working on my masters but as soon as my wife graduates we are either moving to Puerto Rico or Hawai'i. Island living isn't for everyone, but for me it is necessary.

Top Bottom