PDA

View Full Version : Season 52: and now for something completely different...

chrimess
02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
... this week's theme is dedicated to METALLICA.

Make a new video of nearly any METALLICA song, original or covered by them.

I understand this is a little off the beaten path and I am sure you are all going to make sure we can carry the seasons safely into Year 2.
There is a surprisingly great book "Metallica for Ukulele" and individual electronic tabs can be downloaded from Sheetmusicdirect for a fair price. Also, the ususal suspects like ukulele-tabs.com have a good selection to get you started.

Here are the rules:
No Multi-tracking or overdubs on Official Entires, please.
Anything is fine for Bonus Entries.
The Ukulele must be featured front and center. Duets + Bands of course are awesome.

Please do not post prior to February 10, 2013, and only bonus videos will be accepted after 2359 Hawaii time on February 17, 2013.

For the prizes(by random drawing), I will award:
1. My home-built angry banjo uke which is a bit of a project but totally playable. (am travelling for work, so pictures will be added)
2. A 15USD Amazon gift certificate
3. A 10USD Amazon gift certificate

Keep the seasons alive- and, needless to say, "Keep it real"!

Mandalyn
02-08-2013, 08:12 PM
When I was a sophomore in high school, we did Metallica as our competition show for marching band. It was one of my favorite shows! Looking forward to watching this season. :D

we tigers
02-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Excellent challenge! \m/ (~|~) \m/

strumsilly
02-09-2013, 05:54 AM
haha, playing metallica on acoustic uke like building house with swiss army knife.

ksiegel
02-09-2013, 06:18 AM
After this was posted, I looked up the Wikipedia entry on Metallica, because I honestly don't know squat about them.

Now I know here I'd heard one (count 'em, one!) of their songs - Weird Al did a version of "Enter Sandman" as part one of his polka medleys.

And I have heard the song, without knowing it, on the radio.

Not my cup of tea - or even almond milk. I'm glad I have an injured digit, and can't take part, or I'd be forcing myself to listen to recordings or watch YouTube videos, just to find a sing to do.

At least it isn't a Led Zeppelin week.

I look forward to watching the entries - the incredible talent pool here on UU is enough to get me excited about anything but the aforementioned ear-drum piercers.

So, in advance, Thank You Christian for helping me to broaden my horizons. (And where, sir, is your Season 51 entry???)

-Kurt

chrimess
02-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Hi Kurt,
sorry about the injured finger....
I am sorry I am stuck at work in Mexico CIty, so, short of robbing a Mariachi band, I do not have access to a stringed intrument, Me And A Couple Of Angels
would have been my choice.

After this was posted, I looked up the Wikipedia entry on Metallica, because I honestly don't know squat about them.

Now I know here I'd heard one (count 'em, one!) of their songs - Weird Al did a version of "Enter Sandman" as part one of his polka medleys.

And I have heard the song, without knowing it, on the radio.

Not my cup of tea - or even almond milk. I'm glad I have an injured digit, and can't take part, or I'd be forcing myself to listen to recordings or watch YouTube videos, just to find a sing to do.

At least it isn't a Led Zeppelin week.

I look forward to watching the entries - the incredible talent pool here on UU is enough to get me excited about anything but the aforementioned ear-drum piercers.

So, in advance, Thank You Christian for helping me to broaden my horizons. (And where, sir, is your Season 51 entry???)

-Kurt

TCK
02-09-2013, 06:47 AM
RAD! It's time to wake the neighbors up again-
Do the songs off of Garage Days count? Some of them are the covers. Truly GREAT covers

OldePhart
02-09-2013, 06:56 AM
This should be cool, though I don't know if I'll have time to do a video again this week. Real life, in the form of a major project coming up on release, is really intruding on my time these days.

Now I can breathe a huge sigh of relief, though - I was afraid Christian might use the idea I have planned for next week. Now I can relax because I don't have to come up with an alternate theme, and I can start looking for a prize suitable to the theme. :)

Kurt - I hated Metallica (and pretty much all metal) up until a few years ago - then I really listened - mostly because I was interested in checking out the work of Rob Trujillo on bass because he plays relatively simple lines that still bring more than they should to the mix. Anyway, when I really listened and got past the screamed vocals I realized just what amazingly talented musicians those guys are. They're way more than just another metal band. I still don't care much for most metal, Metallica is the exception because they're real musicians and, even though they're playing metal, they bring more than just power chords, tattoos, and screaming to the table.

Most metal bands, even the big names, are just sloppy - sloppy timing, sloppy tuning, and dead easy instrumental riffs that sound impressive only if you're twelve years old and don't know how simple they really are. Metallica is tight, out of many dozens of concert videos I've watched I don't think I've seen a single "off" performance from them, and beyond perfect timing they also throw in far more complex instrumental parts than other bands in the genre. They've also got the best heavily overdriven tone of about any metal band out there - it takes great equipment and great technique to play that heavily overdriven and wind up with tone that doesn't sound like ten-thousand fingernails on a blackboard.

Not saying you have to like them, of course, but dismissing them as just more noise without having actually listened to them, as I did for many years, is probably your loss. :)

John

chrimess
02-09-2013, 07:14 AM
well, of course, they do, Last Carress is my favourite memory of songs from the times of middle school.

Do the songs off of Garage Days count? Some of them are the covers. Truly GREAT covers

barefootgypsy
02-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Right - I've never heard any Metallica tracks - it always seemed to me that the heavy metal bands were very much a male thing; the bits I heard seemed to be just a lot of noise - sorry - so please will someone point me towards a track that will enlighten and educate me in this realm? I do like rock music, after all, and am prepared to change my mind! Because I rather fear that this week may be one I'll have to sit out, it looks as if it might be a challenge too far for the likes of me!

chrimess
02-09-2013, 07:27 AM
well, thanks for being open minded, Nothing Else Matters, would be the obvious choice, as much as it is not a typical Met song.

Right - I've never heard any Metallica tracks - it always seemed to me that the heavy metal bands were very much a male thing; the bits I heard seemed to be just a lot of noise - sorry - so please will someone point me towards a track that will enlighten and educate me in this realm? I do like rock music, after all, and am prepared to change my mind! Because I rather fear that this week may be one I'll have to sit out, it looks as if it might be a challenge too far for the likes of me!

barefootgypsy
02-09-2013, 07:33 AM
well, thanks for being open minded, Nothing Else Matters, would be the obvious choice, as much as it is not a typical Met song.Thanks Christian - as it happens I'm just listening to that one - yes, it's good! Never stop learning......:)

ChaosToo
02-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Nothing Else Matters would be a cracker - especially for the finger-picking experts!

Can't wait to see some of the entrants on here, as 'metal' is my preferred music (although I tend to call it 'rock' and think it all sounded better in the 70s....).

Not sure I'd be good enough to make an entry myself - but you never know.......

ksiegel
02-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Most metal bands, even the big names, are just sloppy - sloppy timing, sloppy tuning, and dead easy instrumental riffs that sound impressive only if you're twelve years old and don't know how simple they really are.

That's it right there, John. When Ive tried to listen to metal/thrash, I've been disappointed. So when I've heard the bands, it has been when they happen to be on the radio.

Not saying you have to like them, of course, but dismissing them as just more noise without having actually listened to them, as I did for many years, is probably your loss. :)

John

They just aren't where I've been listening. It was like LZ - I tried - I really did - listened all through Junior High, High School, and college, as much as I could take, but it just didn't work out.

I've had enough hearing loss over the years I can't go to rock concerts anymore. I had to skip a Heart show a couple weeks ago because I can't take the volume.

GaryC1968
02-09-2013, 08:54 AM
I don't know if I'll have a chance to butcher another Metallica song for this season, but this was my entry for Season 26. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSSL5BAJqW8

OldePhart
02-09-2013, 09:06 AM
I've had enough hearing loss over the years I can't go to rock concerts anymore. I had to skip a Heart show a couple weeks ago because I can't take the volume.

I can relate to that - too much time on the firing range. Ear protection can only do so much. I still go to the occasional concert but I carry earplugs - yeah, I'm that old dude with the foam in his ears! LOL

John

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-09-2013, 09:58 AM
I already have a favorite ukulele Metallica song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyLddcTOClk

...now to find another one!

chrimess
02-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Amazing you'd remember that, Ralph.

~dave~~wave~
02-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Garage Days is the only Metallica CD I ever bought.
Fair warning, Cousin David, my solo fuzztone ukulele bass version of Last Caress is already in the can.

I recorded it based on the the thread title alone before I read the rules or any posts.
I considered a soft acoustic version, but chickened out.

well, of course, they do, Last Caress is my favourite memory of songs from the times of middle school.

It's pretty embarrassing that I was a 30-something "adult" with a job and a mortgage when I was listening to it. :o

I've always managed to stay in touch with my inner adolescent brat.
Dead baby jokes, anyone?

Thanks for a fun week, Chris.

ukuleledaddy
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Well done Christian. I was thinking it would have been a bit ballsy to do an all Led Zeppelin (or all KISS!) season, but you sir have stones of heavy metal. I do hope to have time to enter this week. Toucan Sam & The Fruitloops do a version of Last Caress. This should be a fun season to watch at the very least!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Amazing you'd remember that, Ralph.

Unforgettable---in the best way---thanks again.

pabrizzer
02-10-2013, 12:35 AM
My entry. Cover of Turn the Page which Metallica did a cover of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKKYiUK1yE

Ukeval
02-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Can someone send me by mail the tablature book of "Metallica goes to classical" ???
Thanks ;-)
(or if not available, "Metalliclassical" will be ok too...)
;-)))

xommen
02-10-2013, 02:32 AM
My Entry, a Metallica song that I really like Mama Said.

http://youtu.be/XeKOvOdks3g

decaturcomp
02-10-2013, 03:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOPdhxTOnHM&list=UUa57R-HT-UlbHxQ0i2hy7yw&index=2

chrimess
02-10-2013, 03:43 AM
Ha,Ha, c'est mignon! There is actually a band called Apocalyptica that arranges Met for 4 celli.
Can someone send me by mail the tablature book of "Metallica goes to classical" ???
Thanks ;-)
(or if not available, "Metalliclassical" will be ok too...)
;-)))

TCK
02-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Garage Days is the only Metallica CD I ever bought.
Fair warning, Cousin David, my solo fuzztone ukulele bass version of Last Caress is already in the can.

I recorded it based on the the thread title alone before I read the rules or any posts.
I considered a soft acoustic version, but chickened out.

Hahaha- I knew someone would do that one the minute the question was answered- glad it was you. I do have a ballad version of it I do...but given my job, best not to throw it on Youtube. OK- the Misfits covers are yours, and I want to see "Green Hell" as well. I have another one in mind :)

Edited after working up my tune and watching Alan's video. Decaturcomp- I love you man.

~dave~~wave~
02-10-2013, 06:33 AM
^^^^
Well, here goes, then.
Mercifully short.

http://youtu.be/Jn4k0Rfe63o

Tootler
02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOPdhxTOnHM&list=UUa57R-HT-UlbHxQ0i2hy7yw&index=2

Good choice. I had forgotten Metallica had covered this one.

It's best in a packed room with everyone in the room joining in the chorus at the top if their voices. Done that a few times. Gives you a real buzz.

OldePhart
02-10-2013, 10:05 AM
I already have a favorite ukulele Metallica song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyLddcTOClk

...now to find another one!

Holy Carp - I missed that the first time around - that was great Christian!

John

PatriciaPDX
02-10-2013, 10:07 AM
My daughter was really excited about this season's theme and said she wanted to pick the song for me to do, and she picked "King Nothing." I am not at all familiar with Metallica's music, but I was willing to give it a go, so here we are (with an appearance of my dog, Bailey, in the background, and a couple of well-timed barks):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viG19y_dhKc

ukuleledaveey
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Happy 1st Birthday to the seasons and thank you Chritian for conceiving this wonderful baby, i have made many friends through the seasons and discovered many new artists and songs, thank you all for your encouragement and support I love you all :)
I love Metallica well i did when i was a young un but i dont have the skills to play there music so i have also done the thin lizzy classic and in tribute to Christian I finally did a recording in my car before the snow started falling :) long live the Seasons.

http://youtu.be/MWOWh6Yb4X8

TCK
02-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Christian- first, thank you for this. I chickened out at first, but truly this has been the greatest year of my life. I have made lots of great friends, learned lots of great songs, and I am kind of emotional that year one has come and gone-looking forward to year two.
Another tribute to Phil Lynott rather than Metallica, because great minds think alike. Daveey and Alan- wish we were playing this one together.
It is with great pleasure I offer mine up as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITiWVYqWVVA&feature=youtu.be
Bloody brilliant- bunch of ukes covering the band that made cover bands, jukeboxes, and playing CDS in public illegal. Not sure if that was intentional, but it is inspired.

pabrizzer
02-10-2013, 02:01 PM
....hic...it's just as .. well ..hic.. I enjoy a lit(hic)tle.. whiskey.......hic........"burp" ....

chrimess
02-10-2013, 02:09 PM
That's right, you guys are awesome, have not seen this much uisge since I have been to my sister in law's house and her husband is Irish.

....hic...it's just as .. well ..hic.. I enjoy a lit(hic)tle.. whisky.......hic........"burp" ....

strumsilly
02-10-2013, 02:41 PM
My entry. Cover of Turn the Page which Metallica did a cover of

darn,. that's the one I've been practicing. you did a great job with it.

pabrizzer
02-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Do it anyway - we've had plenty of whiskey.
It was the first one I found that I thought I could manage.

TCK
02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
We can never have enough Whiskey....
Do it anyway - we've had plenty of whisky.
God love him- jar raised to all my mates doing the same song over and over :)
That's right, you guys are awesome, have not seen this much uisge since I have been to my sister in law's house and her husband is Irish.

ukuleledaddy
02-10-2013, 05:16 PM
We can never have enough Whiskey....

What he said

Joko
02-10-2013, 07:44 PM
ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod.... I am a metalhead from waay back. Remembering back to 1985 and the smoking section at Los Gatos High School, where the biggest debate of the day was "Is Metallica better than Led Zeppelin?" It was a conflict of old versus new, and new won.

What to choose... what to choose...

Joko
02-10-2013, 08:10 PM
darn,. that's the one I've been practicing. you did a great job with it.

Turn The Page is one of my favorites; apparently Metallica feels the same way. Maybe if someone else posts a bonus video of that song, maybe that'll make it easier for you to follow suit..

http://youtu.be/cgZdcllSfQQ

TCK
02-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Los Gatos? I was raised in Los Altos, as was my Dad. Spent every day and night at all the kid hot spots in the area- How old are ya Joko? We may have bumped into each other late night back in the day. Smoking section was my first year of HS, law passed and we were pissed.
ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod.... I am a metalhead from waay back. Remembering back to 1985 and the smoking section at Los Gatos High School, where the biggest debate of the day was "Is Metallica better than Led Zeppelin?" It was a conflict of old versus new, and new won.

Joko
02-10-2013, 10:33 PM
How old are ya Joko? We may have bumped into each other late night back in the day..

LGHS Class of 1988. 100th year of my high school... Then went on to a college of wherein I was of the 1st graduating class, but that's beside the point.

strumsilly
02-11-2013, 04:32 AM
Do it anyway - we've had plenty of whiskey.
me too. man those guys can really shred it.

http://youtu.be/Kgrx-nImVxY

barefootgypsy
02-11-2013, 05:38 AM
You may yet get more whisky....sorry. Well I'm not sorry really. I like it. The song, that is. When I've done some work....... have to do some sometime.....

peewee
02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Hi All,

Here's another cop-out entry of a song that Metallica covered (http://youtu.be/Ox2uPWrSNGM): Cretin Hop. I tried to make it folky for the noise-averse...It may be my favorite Ramones (http://youtu.be/7ymeuOz0hZU) song, I apologize to any cretins that may take offense.

http://youtu.be/C-VqrI6CS2I

PatriciaPDX
02-11-2013, 10:49 AM

I like this so much; your performances are always good at evoking a mood; well done!

barefootgypsy
02-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Good song, lovely uke treatment! I enjoyed it, well done!

Pueo
02-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Well I already recorded one song that would technically fit for this season, but I have an idea for another song. So I guess this could be a bonus track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ZHFP2T528&feature=share&list=UUKTPjv36ugsOkryo5mwpsAQ

pabrizzer
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi All,

Here's another cop-out entry of a song that Metallica covered (http://youtu.be/Ox2uPWrSNGM): Cretin Hop. I tried to make it folky for the noise-averse...It may be my favorite Ramones (http://youtu.be/7ymeuOz0hZU) song, I apologize to any cretins that may take offense.

Ouch! I'm taking that "another cop-out entry" to heart(:)) so - OK if it is at all possible, and to rise to the challenge we have been given, I will try and do a REAL Metallica song! Um... IF I can.
My son did say he may be able to suggest some so I will consult with him.

OldePhart
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Okay...seeing as how this is the big anniversary I'm going to make some time to record something for this week - y'all may have to suffer through my rendition of Turn the Page...

Or...maybe I'll get real brave and folkify one of Metallica's own songs - I think folkifying them is the only way to make it work on a solo uke.

John

Joko
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I should dig up the article I wrote about how early speed metal was poetry of the Cold War. If you examine the content and themes of the mid-80's metal, you'll find continuous themes of death from above, nuclear war, etc.. At one point in my life, I was exposed to the poetry written by soldiers in the trenches of WWI, and I was astonished to see how similar their poetry was to the lyrics of bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc.. In any case, I went into an in depth analysis of comparing the early 80's to trench warfare. We were all waiting for "the big one"... an inevadible rendezvous with death... at least us young people were.

In any case, I'll save my sociological comparisons of different kinds of art for another day.

My cat was sleeping on the windowsill to my left as I recorded this. She fell off right as I was getting to the hard part of the instrumental break... Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/szt9ubbErbM

ukuleledaddy
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM

First of all, you have no idea what joy I get from seeing you made up as Peter Criss every time you post.
Secondly, LOS GATOS HIGH?! My nephew currently goes there and I spent a year there as a substitute (2001) and worked as a bartender at CB Hannigans for a couple of years. Perhaps I server you a beverage?
Lastly, rock on!

Joko
02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
LOS GATOS HIGH?! My nephew currently goes there and I spent a year there as a substitute (2001) and worked as a bartender at CB Hannigans for a couple of years. Perhaps I server you a beverage?
Lastly, rock on!

Let's see..in 2001 I was living in Oakland, and although I did visit the parents in the Santa Cruz Mountains on occasion in those days, I don't think I ever got to Cb Hannigans (1992, different story, was there every weekend).

barefootgypsy
02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi Christian - will you be putting up a playlist with a link in the first post, as many have done lately? It helps to keep track..... :)

chrimess
02-12-2013, 04:38 AM
Hi there,
yes, please bear with him, still travelling for work and have limited YT access.

Hi Christian - will you be putting up a playlist with a link in the first post, as many have done lately? It helps to keep track..... :)

FiL
02-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Okay...seeing as how this is the big anniversary...

If this is only the 52nd week, wouldn't NEXT week be the anniversary?

- FiL

OldePhart
02-12-2013, 08:41 AM
If this is only the 52nd week, wouldn't NEXT week be the anniversary?

- FiL

Well...I guess technically so...but since I'm hosting the season next week and won't get to participate this one is the anniversary for me :)

John

caroljean
02-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Hey guys!!! I've missed you all so much. So. Most of the guys I dated used to listen to this stuff in the car, all the time. So here we go. I'm doing "Wherever I May Roam." The lyrics got stuck in my head, but there was no way my uke or my voice was going to be able to handle driving power chords, so, whatever, I changed the chords a bit. My computer was falling apart, so even though I played louder and my voice opened up in other takes, this is the one you get. :-)

http://youtu.be/YmKDe3k2MIE

barefootgypsy
02-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Hey guys!!! I've missed you all so much. So. Most of the guys I dated used to listen to this stuff in the car, all the time. So here we go. I'm doing "Wherever I May Roam." The lyrics got stuck in my head, but there was no way my uke or my voice was going to be able to handle driving power chords, so, whatever, I changed the chords a bit. My computer was falling apart, so even though I played louder and my voice opened up in other takes, this is the one you get. :-)
Great to see the Girls in on Metallica - so far I haven't had the courage! I like your style, made me smile!

chrimess
02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
HaHa, John, now way to deny the responsibility, you will have the honors of the actual anniversary!

Well...I guess technically so...but since I'm hosting the season next week and won't get to participate this one is the anniversary for me :)

John

mikef
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
From Tom Paxton to Metallica... what are you like :)
Well here's my entry for this week. I wanted to go back to the classic Metallica days of the first few albums (i.e. back to my youth!) and try and give a good solid thrashy track a uke make-over... so here's "Creeping Death" from "Ride The Lightening"... hope you like it!!

http://youtu.be/8KJI0wN_dJ4

decaturcomp
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
My darling daughter, Chantal, has the first line of this song tattooed on her forearm along with a mic so that it shows when she's singing with her band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsU6DOO3LOw

i claim to be the first person to play this song wearing a jerry garcia band t shirt.

TCK
02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
All this talk of youth...
My favorite band as a kid was not Metallica, but they covered six of their songs.
Here is number two. Probably not going to stop there.
Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World, By Metallica, by the Ramones...
No Garcia band shirt, but I bet this is the first time this has been played on a 70 year old Martin ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWybYGV5eaA&feature=youtu.be

caroljean
02-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Great to see the Girls in on Metallica - so far I haven't had the courage! I like your style, made me smile!

Thanks! I hope you can find something. It is a really tough week. But we need more girls!

peewee
02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi here's a bonus Me-Ramones-tallica song: Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue.
I've tried to find a Metallica song to learn, but the pull of the Ramones is too strong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLntnAyaCpM

Also I think I've figured out why the Ramones played so loud: it was to drown out the creaking of their leather jackets.

TCK
02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
PeeWee- I love you man. Seasons of the Ukulele Bro-mance carries on,
here's number four of covers of songs Metallica covered that were written by the Ramones.
Commando-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJvS5QaxCjU&feature=youtu.be
I just wish my leather jacket still fit...

pabrizzer
02-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Gee I hope this is not a song that Metallica covered.
I'm pretty sure this is my cover of a REAL Metallica song.
THE UNFORGIVEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffkZwAH5RO0

thesillydave
02-13-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure this my cover of a REAL Metallica song.
THE UNFORGIVEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffkZwAH5RO0
you're a better man than i gunga din! i've looked high and low to try and come up with a song to do..
this actually sounds good! nice job papa...though it seems you're missing a hat!
cheers!

pabrizzer
02-13-2013, 07:51 PM
you're a better man than i gunga din! i've looked high and low to try and come up with a song to do..
this actually sounds good! nice job papa...though it seems you're missing a hat!
cheers!
Or a lampshade?:)
Thanks SD - keep lookin' there'll be a song for you somewhere in their stuff.

barefootgypsy
02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm pretty sure this my cover of a REAL Metallica song.
THE UNFORGIVEN
Wow, powerful song that I've not heard (ok I've not heard ANY Metallica) that was great and so beautifully done! I'm blown away there!

pabrizzer
02-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Wow, powerful song that I've not heard (ok I've not heard ANY Metallica) that was great and so beautifully done! I'm blown away there!
Thanks.
I look forward to your Metallica entry. Something from a jar?

wee_ginga_yin
02-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Indeed it is time for something completely different.
I am old and confused and I sort of got the Sandman's mixed up... sorry about that.:old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyxuWhVVUEw

ukuleledaddy
02-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Well darn. After having half a fingernail on my left hand torn off and putting my right hand through a wall, it looks like no ukulele for me this week. I was working on All Day And All Of The Night by The Kinks which Metallica performed with Ray Davies at the 25th anniversary concert for the rock and roll hall of fame. Anyone else care to give it a go?

peewee
02-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Okay, so in the spirit of the week, and in deference to Christian, here is an actual Metallica song. I tried The Memory Remains, Bleeding Me, Jump In The Fire, then I finally found one I could do. Damn these Metallica songs have a lot of words. This one has an F bomb or two that I was unable to avoid for some reason on this take. It's all part of the Metallica anti-aloha.

WHIPLASH! (http://youtu.be/cPh_9sRJycI)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw55MBTuWtE
http://youtu.be/pw55MBTuWtE

greyghost
02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Alright, here's another cover that nobody's done yet. This one's for the Blue Oyster Cult fans (who apparently include Metallica!): Astronomy, as rendered on a Makala dolphin. It's a quick single take, so be kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvLDaUpKeGk

pabrizzer
02-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Okay, so in the spirit of the week, and in deference to Christian, here is an actual Metallica song. I tried The Memory Remains, Bleeding Me, Jump In The Fire, then I finally found one I could do. Damn these Metallica songs have a lot of words. This one has an F bomb or two that I was unable to avoid for some reason on this take. It's all part of the Metallica anti-aloha.

"...We're gathered here to maim and kill 'cause this is what we do...."
Now THAT'S Metallica!
Good one!

pabrizzer
02-14-2013, 09:43 AM
I am old and confused and I sort of got the Sandman's mixed up... sorry about that.:old:

Hey..It's simple....If it puts you to sleep it AIN'T Metallica!

(Unless it's that old "Sleeper Hold" they used to do on the wrestling.)

thesillydave
02-14-2013, 07:55 PM
well,.... i finally found a song to do.. it's a "Real" Metallica song...best i could come up with...whew!

http://youtu.be/jo1XG9OOa0U

after 52 weeks,(minus the 2 that i hosted) total of 73 entries, it's been a really fun and silly year!
thank you everyone who have put up with my silliness and allowed me to be a part of this!
rave on seasonistas!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks for a great Season, Christian---this challenge rules!

Took a day to find a song. Took another day to learn the song on guitar from a youtube tutuorial. Took a couple days to adapt the song to the uke. Been practicing the song on my uke for two days now, and can still barely play it. No clue how it'll sound this weekend. This is fun. Wish me thrash luck.

chrimess
02-15-2013, 08:04 AM
sorry to be so sparse on comments, have been without YT all week, back to USA now and I will be practicing my own contribution tonight, pretty pathetic to enter my own seasons, then, mmh?
Can't wait to hear yours, Ralf!

Thanks for a great Season, Christian---this challenge rules!

Took a day to find a song. Took another day to learn the song on guitar from a youtube tutuorial. Took a couple days to adapt the song to the uke. Been practicing the song on my uke for two days now, and can still barely play it. No clue how it'll sound this weekend. This is fun. Wish me thrash luck.

peewee
02-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Wait, we're supposed to practice??

wee_ginga_yin
02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Hey..It's simple....If it puts you to sleep it AIN'T Metallica!

(Unless it's that old "Sleeper Hold" they used to do on the wrestling.)

Taking the words of Enter Sandman and using the chords for Mr Sandman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFd8en1d78) was a bit corny I suppose.

Although In 1996, German power metal band Blind Guardian released a single with a cover version of
"Mr. Sandman.", (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyU3JfW5Cgs) While the song starts in a similar mood to the original where they imitate the Andrews Sisters,
it becomes increasingly aggressive, as the verses progress.

chrimess
02-15-2013, 10:00 AM
well put, the spirit of the seasons is one of spontaneity!

On the other hand, here is an excerpt from an interview with Satch:
" Steve Vai, Metallica's Kirk Hammett, Exodus' Rick Hunolt, Testament's Alex Skolnick, Primus' Larry Lalonde, and Charlie Hunter — all on the cutting edge of a new movement while still in high school — took lessons from Satriani during that time.

"When the young Kirk Hammett was walking in the door," recalls Satriani, "I thought, 'This is the future.' It was very exciting for me to see that in these young players."

"

myrnaukelele
02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I've been working on Enter Sandman and found this amazing vid- just had to share:

http://youtu.be/y24Awr4_yEI
I'm afraid my version will not be anywhere near as good.
this kid needs an electric uke- she's phenomenal!

TCK
02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
What he said- Quote of the week!

chrimess
02-15-2013, 06:22 PM
I promise I won't put my name ino the hat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_M6UkUeIuo&sns=em

OldePhart
02-15-2013, 06:51 PM
I promise I won't put my name ino the hat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_M6UkUeIuo&sns=em

:bowdown:

Okay...I'm impressed. Very impressed. I'm also bummed 'cause it seems like I'm the only one that can't manage to get a Metallica song in the can. Finally gave up on Wherever I May Roam when I realized that I've been working on it all week, not making anything recognizable as progress, and am out of time. I finally threw down a cover of a cover (uploading to YouTube now) and, while it's pretty rough because I only had about an hour to chart and record it, it's way better than any of my efforts at Wherever I May Roam.

John

thesillydave
02-15-2013, 08:57 PM
okay, so...one just wasn't enough...i join the others doing a metallica cover of a cover, off their garage inc. album, of queens 'stone cold crazy'

http://youtu.be/BLmq8lZZjaI

happy seasons everyone!

xommen
02-16-2013, 04:42 AM
I also did a cover of a song Metallica covered live at least twice, this is Don't Judas me which is originally by Nazareth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYo9m4F0GJs

OldePhart
02-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Okay here's my cover of a cover; kind of butchered because I had to rush it after spending so much time trying to get a real Metallica song in the can. Metallica covered Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone" on a radio program years ago. If you've heard the clip, they kind of butchered it, so I felt it was a fitting choice for myself to cover... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5zQtAkIw9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5zQtAkIw9Y
John

OldePhart
02-16-2013, 06:07 AM
Taking the words of Enter Sandman and using the chords for Mr Sandman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFd8en1d78) was a bit corny I suppose.

Actually, I thought it was pretty clever. I guess there is a fine line between corny and clever. :)

John

thesillydave
02-16-2013, 07:29 AM

here's another version of enter sandman...by Richard Cheese..thought you might like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScVfwoKIWds

bbbannister
02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
OK bad boys and girls, get ready to...

FADE TO BLACK.

http://youtu.be/e01YF6c70Dg

BB

barefootgypsy
02-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Nothing Else Matters wasn't really up my street, but I hope someone does it before the week is up -

I started fiddling around with chords on Whiskey in the Jar (instead of just strumming straight chords) just today, and came up with this. I feel as if it's a bit of a breakthrough actually, after a kind soul on this forum gave me some pointers on noodling around with chords... so although it's not brilliant I'm actually quite pleased with this. :D

Short instrumental....

http://youtu.be/7Umpteh7lSY

myrnaukelele
02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
here's another version of enter sandman...
And yet another...for something completely different :cool:

http://youtu.be/iC65ufGUvKM

myrnaukelele
02-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Nothing Else Matters wasn't really up my street, but I hope someone does it before the week is up -

I started fiddling around with chords on Whiskey in the Jar (instead of just strumming straight chords) just today, and came up with this. I feel as if it's a bit of a breakthrough actually, after a kind soul on this forum gave me some pointers on noodling around with chords... so although it's not brilliant I'm actually quite pleased with this. :D

Short instrumental....

Nicely done Lesley!

wee_ginga_yin
02-16-2013, 01:15 PM
@SillyDave: I really like this too wap stylee from an Australian acapella group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xHTQgjS5JQ

myrnaukelele
02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Christian - Thanks for starting the Seasons- it's been a fun year!
Metallica Week has been a challenge for me and this version of Enter Sandman is rather awful...but I gave it my best shot.:cool:

http://youtu.be/l2OT3oovfvs

Liamfsus7
02-16-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking about entering for the first time, but I'm still kinda new to uke. Is there a certain standard expected?
Thanks

OldePhart
02-16-2013, 02:19 PM

Short instrumental....

That was quite nice - certainly better than anything I can do instrumentally!

Christian - Thanks for starting the Seasons- it's been a fun year!
Metallica Week has been a challenge for me and this version of Enter Sandman is rather awful...but I gave it my best shot.:cool:

Way better than anything I was able to manage!

I'm thinking about entering for the first time, but I'm still kinda new to uke. Is there a certain standard expected?
Thanks

About the only standards involved are that you can make some noise with an ukulele and like to have fun! Seriously, we've got folks all the way from pros down to...well...me, and we're all having a blast! :)

John

Liamfsus7
02-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Heh, good to know. I've got a good idea for a mash up of two songs Metallica have covered :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Thrash metal. Power ballad. Mutually exclusive? Naaaahh...

http://youtu.be/Y6tGKf_AlCo

pabrizzer
02-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Thrash metal. Power ballad. Mutually exclusive? Naaaahh...

Just such a great production!
It had all the things that make Metallica such a great band - and just on a ukulele - and a little bit of guitar?

Metallica 'songs' are generally quite long. Did anyone else notice that?

wolfchs
02-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Tough challenge for me, but I love watching everyone else's videos. I did appreciate some Metallica growing up, but really didn't plan on learning how to play 'em until now, so thanks Christian for this week's challenge and for starting this thing called the "seasons of the ukulele". One year ago, I received my first ukulele for Valentine's and a year later, I now have A LOT! and learned so much here. Thank you!:o
So here we go...

http://youtu.be/tFb5w9pivhk

mattydee
02-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Here we go.

http://youtu.be/HiWTyh-70Ok

alemarco
02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
This week was a definite challenge for me, but after I worked on this all week I had to post. Here's my take on "Unforgiven" by Metallica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPy0CxlSvAg&feature=youtu.be

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Tough challenge for me, but I love watching everyone else's videos. I did appreciate some Metallica growing up, but really didn't plan on learning how to play 'em until now, so thanks Christian for this week's challenge and for starting this thing called the "seasons of the ukulele". One year ago, I received my first ukulele for Valentine's and a year later, I now have A LOT! and learned so much here. Thank you!:o
So here we go...
Nice job! Well done. Seriously.

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 11:08 AM
That was quite nice - certainly better than anything I can do instrumentally!

JohnThank you John, that's not true at all, but a very kind comment all the same! Appreciated.

barefootgypsy
02-17-2013, 11:16 AM
@ Myrna - just thanks for watching, and for your kind comment. I wish I could put the songs over like you do! I love your videos - all the girls do so well - so do all the boys! And now I'm going to go and climb back in my teapot. I've watched quite a lot of the entries this week, as many as I could, but sadly not all. Well done everybody. Metallica is so up-lifting I'm off to slit my wrists. Just joking, don't worry!

myrnaukelele
02-17-2013, 05:51 PM
@ Myrna - just thanks for watching, and for your kind comment. I wish I could put the songs over like you do! I love your videos - all the girls do so well - so do all the boys! And now I'm going to go and climb back in my teapot. I've watched quite a lot of the entries this week, as many as I could, but sadly not all. Well done everybody. Metallica is so up-lifting I'm off to slit my wrists. Just joking, don't worry!
Thanks Lesley- if I ever get to the UK it would be fun to stop in for a spot of tea and a ukulele jam :o

chrimess
02-18-2013, 04:53 AM
Thanks, guys, for all your contributions, both season 52 and thereby the first year is now officially in the Jar.
I will get busy setting up the playlist and enjoying all the wonderful vids.
Also, the prize drawing is going to be no later than the end of the week.

Liamfsus7
02-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Short instrumental....

http://youtu.be/7Umpteh7lSY

You should be pleased with it! I really enjoyed it, the Thin Lizzy version is one of my mums favourite songs haha :)

Im very intrigued as to how you fiddled with the chords?
Id like pointers too! :D

chrimess
02-21-2013, 02:14 PM
To all,
I have immensely enjoyed all the Metallica related videos and would like to thank you for playing along and rising to the challenge this week.
Here is the playlist for the season http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq1ahlbDXKU_dtiSJCjm997tTPLgErlO9

Critique to follow by the end of the week.

greyghost
02-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Any particular reason why mine isn't in the playlist? I followed the rules, I thought...

chrimess
02-22-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi there,
my apologies go out to you, I missed this one since you had just the link rather than the video tags with preview window in your post.
It is added now.

Any particular reason why mine isn't in the playlist? I followed the rules, I thought...

greyghost
02-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Thanks! I thought I had posted it the same way I've done previous ones, but it didn't work this time. I'll go back and edit the link. Thanks for a fun contest!

chrimess
02-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Pabrizzer-turn the page: Great dynamics. This suits your style immensely well.
Wim - mama said:I ran a marathon in Apeldoorn once. This song tells of the same loneliness and agony andyou expressed it so well.
Alan-whiskey in the jar-Superb solid classic rock- the irony is that Metallica are themselves classified as such. Great stuff.

chrimess
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Dave- last carress -Awesome punk rock attitude.
Daveey-more whiskey:Wonderfully folky, definitely different from all the bourbon versions this week.
Patricia -king. Nothing:This one came from out of nowhere and blew me away.

chrimess
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
TCK- whiskey, hicks...super smooth bourbon. Soulful.
Andy - turn the page- with utmost passion- congrats on the walnut Kanilea
Peewee- cretins hop:Pure joy- oh so clever- Napster rules

chrimess
02-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Damon- recycled whiskey:Very nice. The most ukulele flavor whiskey this week
Joko fade to black -Just the kind of interpretation I was after. Very ambitious and successful.
CJ wherever I may roam. Metallica goes Broadway.
-

chrimess
02-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Mike- creeping death :You took the Seasons by storm since you joined and this one is no exception
Alan uhmmmmmmm-And lot more energetic than the Prius
Peewee's glue-If this is the kind of music they play there, just put me in a pet cemetery

chrimess
02-22-2013, 05:14 PM
TCKSomeone get me a pissbomb-laws of Germany rule!
Brian- the unforgiving- super skillful
Rob- sandman- Nicely jazzy and psychedelic-works perfectly. -

chrimess
02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Peewee-whiplash-Third time's a charm- the essence of metal with a little bit of spinal tap
Dave's double:The trooper of the Seasons does it again- Arkansas just moved south by another 1000 miles, stone cold crazy by queen:200 videos on Yt makes you the king

chrimess
02-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Wim- judas-Great rhythm feel!
John- Tuesday may be gone- the Seasons have only just begun...
Bob- fade to black :o Great ukulele strum -see,Metallica is not such a bad fit for the uke.

chrimess
02-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Lesley's whiskey: really cool and straight from the hodown
Myrna's sandman:Another great psychedelic cover by the grand dame of the seasons
Welcome home, Ralf: Jon had called your beatles cover the best video of you the seasons- I think he stands corrected...

chrimess
02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Wolfchs: until it sleeps:Serious hit potential
Matt- nothing else matters:You keep getting more and more professional every week
Alemarco's unforgiven:Great to have some serious classical talent on the seasons
Greyghost- astronomy-How could I have missed this one -the stars are aligned

chrimess
02-25-2013, 12:34 PM
PRIZE DRAW FOR SEASON 52

The merciless randomizer has spoken and selected the following winners:
1. DAVEWAVE- My home-built angry banjo uke which is a bit of a project but totally playable.
2. MIKE F- A 15USD Amazon gift certificate
3. PEEWEE- A 10USD Amazon gift certificate

Everyone who entered and faced the METALLICA challenge is a winner, thanks so much, really, please PM me and I will get the prizes on the way.

~dave~~wave~
02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Wow, I'm floored, thanks so much.
A banjo uke is one of the few axes not it my arsenal, look forward to trying to do it some justice.
I'm semi-competent with minor adjustments and repairs, playable is wonderful, I enjoy a project.

Christian, I hope you'll do me the honor of taking a sharpie and inscribing your creation for me.

Give thanks for random prize awards, in the face all the talented players and singers who post here.
There may be some minor karma involved, since I just paid for a VIP membership (about time).
We're all winners on the Seasons! :D (but you can't win if you don't play, and think about supporting UU with a donation)

TCK
02-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Congrats to the winners and thanks for a fun season chrimess!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Congratulations, ~~~dave~wave~~~, MikeF, and peewee! Christian's randomizer has great taste in ukulele punk, ukulele reggae, and ukulele heavy metal. Woohoo!

Thanks, Christian, for challenging my fingers more than any other challenge. Fun.

And great work, everyone, adapting the heaviness of Metallica to the mellowness of your ukulele. Great stuff! Woohoo!

peewee
02-25-2013, 05:55 PM
No Way, Thanks Christian! Thanks Randomizer!
That was a tough week. Congrats to all who uked up a Metallica song, most with way more aplomb than I, and congrats to Dave Wave and MikeF too.

mattydee
02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Rock on, rockers!

mikef
02-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Gosh, thank you! My teenage self would be so proud I've won a prize in Metallica week!!! :rock:
A mighty well done Dave Wave & PeeWee too, and indeed everyone who entered... this was a tough but highly enjoyable week!

OldePhart
02-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Congrats winners - we need a video on that angry banjo uke! :)

John

barefootgypsy
02-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Congrats winners! Rock on, Seasonistas, Seasons rule, ok.........:)

myrnaukelele
02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Rock on, rockers!

:rock: :rock: :rock:
Congrats to the winners and thanks for a fun week Christian!

~dave~~wave~
03-28-2013, 06:10 AM
Here it is in all it's glory.
We know Christian as a man of many talents, but who knew he's a bit of a mad scientist?

The back is heavy dense wood, the top buzzes like Keith Richard's 1965 fuzz tone pedal, and not only is it loud, it has a pickup!

Thanks again to Christian, and to random prize awards that benefit the mediocre masses along side the talented few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-L7BedDZ0I

Hey Seasonistas, Week 52 was Metallica Week!
So Christian built a banjo uke with a sound that's loud and ANGRY!
A random number generator popped up my name, so he sent it to ME!
And now that it's here, all I can play is LOUIE LOUIE!

chrimess
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Awesome, awesome, Dave- again, this made my day, glad you like it- the wood is a teak salad bowl, by the way.