Temperature/Humidty affecting ukuleles?

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Hi Builders, I was in another forum and people were discussing hanging ukes vs. keeping in cases and some said they kept in the case to avoid atmospheric issues (humidity). I am curious if any of you have found any specific ranges to temperature or humidity or a combination where a uke was definitely impacted?

Would a satin uke be affected the same as a gloss uke (does the gloss protect the instrument from the elements (obviously no finish on the inside so the inside would be impacted similarly on both Satin and Gloss instruments?

I'm not sure if I am asking a questions that really has a definitive answer because there are so many variables such as how long it's been in the environment, how often it's been in large temperature/humidity swings, etc. but was curious as to what you have experienced with ukes that you believe were definitely affected by these changes.

Just trying to educate myself a bit more on this topic. Thanks guys for any feedback and your hundreds of years of combined experience.

Cheers!

Hi Builders, I was in another forum and people were discussing hanging ukes vs. keeping in cases and some said they kept in the case to avoid atmospheric issues (humidity). I am curious if any of you have found any specific ranges to temperature or humidity or a combination where a uke was definitely impacted?

Would a satin uke be affected the same as a gloss uke (does the gloss protect the instrument from the elements (obviously no finish on the inside so the inside would be impacted similarly on both Satin and Gloss instruments?

I'm not sure if I am asking a questions that really has a definitive answer because there are so many variables such as how long it's been in the environment, how often it's been in large temperature/humidity swings, etc. but was curious as to what you have experienced with ukes that you believe were definitely affected by these changes.

Just trying to educate myself a bit more on this topic. Thanks guys for any feedback and your hundreds of years of combined experience.

Cheers!

Aloha Blue from Hawaii..

the RH out here crazy..i live on in the coolest (temp wise) part of Oahu..
I hear between 40% to 70% RH is okay..

RH from 35% to 80% here>> as the day gets warmer RH goes down but first thing in the morning up to 80% sometimes..but average RH about 58%

how is the ukefest going? any new builders showing up? Gyosh says there is a cool women builder in San Jose..check her out..

Last edited:
Keep the humidity levels between 40-50 on the hygrometer in or out of the cases and your ukes will be fine. Get a good meter, not one of the cheap things that come in a case. The words stain and gloss are just describing the end result, not what kind of finish it is. If the wood wants to move, it will move regardless of the kind of finish.

All good questions Jay.

What keeping an instrument in its case does is buffer sudden and extreme swings in RH. Like when a hot dry westerly comes out of the centre of Australia and RH drops to single digits in a couple of hours. Many places in the world will have some sort of weather pattern or environment that may produce similar conditions. In most instances it's the very dry conditions that are detrimental to the structural integrity of an instrument. The wood will shrink across the grain to a point that causes too much tension and something has to give. Usually a crack down the soundboard or back is the result.

If you are talking gloss or satin in a finish like lacquer or polyester or even french polish, then neither is any more or less protection in the context you are asking. They are however much more protection than any oil based finish. As well lacquer and Polyester will often have Ultra Violet screeners incorporated into them, so offer far more protection to woods that are sensitive to that spectrum. Virtually all woods will change in color over time when exposed to UV. Some go lighter, others darker.

I know that many builders never put finish on the inside of their instruments, but it seems far more Australians do than is common in the rest of the world. I certainly do. It offers an extra buffer against those same conditions you are asking about. Perhaps it's because we live in a country of extremes.

Hey Allen - when you put finish on the inside of the back, do you brush it exactly to where the glue on the kerfing will be? I thought of putting shellac on the inside but short of filling the completed body through the soundhole I couldn't envision getting both a good coverage and keeping it out of the glue joint. So being pedantic on the border to anal, I just gave a fug about it.

Sven

Building in the Spanish Style, the top and sides are easy. Already built so you just apply it everywhere except the back gluing surfaces.

It's the back plate that is a little more work. I apply it to everything first. Let dry and then in the fitting process I scribe around the outside perimeter of the back and then scrape the finish off so it's clean where glue will be applied. You get pretty good and quick at it after a few instruments.

ready_to_assemble.jpg

Allen, that is some really cool wood. What wood is the back made from?

Fanx Allen, I'll put another beer in the fridge next to the others that are yours already. When are you coming by?

Ah you made it back, now you are unpacking all your boxes? I run about 45-55% all year round. In N.Cal the coldest it gets inside my house is about 60F and hottest about 75F, any hotter than AC is on in the summer and in winder the heater comes on as I keep the house about 68F-72F all year inside average. Never gets over 90F where I live for more than a few days.

I have 4 builders coming to the "Uke Jam by the Bay", but it's really a jam not a uke festival but should be a blast for those wanting to play all day. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone from UU. I was hoping my new "Secret Eagle" would be finshed by Rick Turner who could bring it to the event but I don't know if it will be done in time, never know.

I'll be in Kauai in April at the Marriott so I'm going to bring my KoAloha thin body tenor. I'm going to take my uke up in a helicopter and play somewhere "OVER" the rainbow. I just have to find that rainbow!

Aloha Blue from Hawaii..

the RH out here crazy..i live on in the coolest (temp wise) part of Oahu..
I hear between 40% to 70% RH is okay..

RH from 35% to 80% here>> as the day gets warmer RH goes down but first thing in the morning up to 80% sometimes..but average RH about 58%

how is the ukefest going? any new builders showing up? Gyosh says there is a cool women builder in San Jose..check her out..

Top Bottom