Pono parlor guitars

hey_day

Reaction score
John just posted a few pono parlor guitars starting pretty low or with buy now option. Think i might take a gamble.

It might be a nice instrument. I cant really judge, its just not really a parlor guitar.

The X bracing is the giveaway. Parlor guitars should have numerous similarities to ukulele's including lightweight fan bracing. Not X bracing.

Also a traditional parlor guitar is like a traditional ukulele in that its 12frets to the body, and bridge is in the centre of the lower bout.

Anthony

Last edited:
Just to give you a general idea on how the Pono Single "O" guitar sounds like, here's Corey from HMS playing one:

On a side note, this Thread probably needs to be in the "Guitar" Forum.

Last edited:
Okay...you guys can stop this madness right now! I stopped buying guitars when I started buying ukes, I do not need to be afflicted with GAS and UAS at the same time!

John

That nylon string hybrid looks intriguing! I heard about the parlors but I didn't know Pono made nylon string guitars too!

A modern steel string parlor guitar will always have X bracing - otherwise the guitar will fly apart from the string tension. I believe the majority of parlor guitars on the market today are steel string - Larrivee, Martin 0, Santa Cruz, Collings, Bedell, etc.

Modern nylon string parlors though should have fan bracing - otherwise the low tension nylon strings won't have enough power to drive the guitar top.

It might be a nice instrument. I cant really judge, its just not really a parlor guitar.

The X bracing is the giveaway. Parlor guitars should have numerous similarities to ukulele's including lightweight fan bracing. Not X bracing.

Also a traditional parlor guitar is like a traditional ukulele in that its 12frets to the body, and bridge is in the centre of the lower bout.

Anthony

A modern steel string parlor guitar will always have X bracing - otherwise the guitar will fly apart from the string tension. I believe the majority of parlor guitars on the market today are steel string - Larrivee, Martin 0, Santa Cruz, Collings, Bedell, etc.

Modern nylon string parlors though should have fan bracing - otherwise the low tension nylon strings won't have enough power to drive the guitar top.

It's true that most parlor guitars such as Santa Cruz, Collins etc...are with steel strings...

The only modern parlor that has nylon are the new line of Luis Feu de Mesquita LFDM ....he just build a few that are parlor with nylon strings......and from what he told me, they sound very good and loud!!!

But I'm quite intrigued by these Pono parlor...I didn't know that they we're building parlor guitars!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/lady-standby-by-lotus-notes ....let's get funky......

Top Bottom