Different tunings for the baritone uke

DaleR

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with different tunings? A uke friend suggested using banjo tuning, which lowers the E to a D. It was cool, but I went back to the standard tuning. A couple of hours ago, I dropped my bari down to EADG, strings have settled, and it really sounds cool! There is a little buzz on the A (G) string, but not bad. Standard bass lines sound with this tuning.

My favourite "alternative" tuning on Baritone so far is GCEA, dropped one octave lower than regular ukulele range (with low G).
It sounds bassier than a regular baritone, but not so low that it's a bass guitar.

Here's a recording I once did with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCyLRHl0wEY

The strings are Guadalupe low-GCEA strings for baritone (bought from Mainland ukulele shop)

and right back to standard DGBE! Was a fun experiment though....definitely puts the Kamoa bass in perspective.

After reading Dirk's Bulletin #4, I bought a set of Southcoast ML-RW's to experiment with Bb tuning. I like it a lot and if I want to play in C tuning, I just put a capo on the 2nd fret.

Anyone with a bari. should read the Bulletin #4 on his site. He explains how the different tunings affect the resonance of the instrument.

I have been playing around with fifths tuning on a bari (got set from Southcoast) and am having a good time. I tried mandolin before and got sick of little metal strings eating into my fingers, but as a nylon string set on a ukulele, with a little more space for my fingers, it is easier than my initial experience with the mandolin, and is stretching my musical borders a little. Not all that hard, sounds different (a little darker sounding) and a lot of fun.

That sounds interesting. What are the exact notes you use?

how high can you go?

I just got my first baritone (Kala SMHB) and wondering how far you can tune up regular linear G strings (the Aguilas that came are still on it) without damaging the instrument or the strings. Any thoughts...Can I torque these puppies to Bb?
Mike

I doubt it very much. The stress on the bridge may pull it off and the resonance of the instrument would be nullified. If you want to play linear Bb buy a set of Southcoast ML-RW. I suggest you go to the Southcoast website and read his bulletin #4 about baritone tuning and proper stringsets.
http://www.southcoastukes.com/004.htm

Thanks, Patrick. I have read the Southcoast stuff you refer to and will try their strings soon.

CGDA, same as tenor banjo, mandola or cello. I started out with the Southcoast set, which is in Bb (Bb, F, C, G). I had intonation problems with the Bb string (usually not a problem, I like Southcoast strings) and then ended up playing with different strings to get it up two semi-tones to CGDA. At first I was just transposing mandolin chords, (which works fine) but then I tried searching for chords for tenor banjo and mandola and found a bunch. I have been compiling a list of easier chords in pen, and I may eventually pdf the thing. I like it better than mandolin (same chord shapes, but those sharp little mandolin strings and fitting my fingers into those little slots was driving me crazy), although your fingers have to stretch a bit more.
That sounds interesting. What are the exact notes you use?

Thank you Aaron Keim.

Last edited:
Sorry, I posted my message in the wrong thread. It was meant for the BARITONE HATERS thread. :cool:

Petey

Last edited:
CGDA, same as tenor banjo, mandola or cello. I started out with the Southcoast set, which is in Bb (Bb, F, C, G). I had intonation problems with the Bb string (usually not a problem, I like Southcoast strings) and then ended up playing with different strings to get it up two semi-tones to CGDA. At first I was just transposing mandolin chords, (which works fine) but then I tried searching for chords for tenor banjo and mandola and found a bunch. I have been compiling a list of easier chords in pen, and I may eventually pdf the thing. I like it better than mandolin (same chord shapes, but those sharp little mandolin strings and fitting my fingers into those little slots was driving me crazy), although your fingers have to stretch a bit more.
I had a similar experience. CGDA on a baritone is my favorite tuning.

Thank you Aaron Keim.

Well, I can tell you one thing: this is making me want to start a Mya Moe baritone build. Now, before the prices go up. I want that first one in the video: that look like Mahogany to y'all?

CGDA, same as tenor banjo, mandola or cello. I like it better than mandolin (same chord shapes, but those sharp little mandolin strings and fitting my fingers into those little slots was driving me crazy), although your fingers have to stretch a bit more.

Very cool! I have the same problem with mandolin...it just does not feel right. I tried an experiment, which was discussed in another thread. I put some light classical guitar strings on my bari, making it the same tuning at the bottom four strings of the guitar OR just like the Kamoa bass. This really does bridge the gap between the contrabass sounds of the U Bass and the rest of the ukulele family. It has a very addictive tone and all the standard bass lines can be played, just up the 8va which gives it more volume acoustically.

I think I may be on to something here...:shaka:

Last edited:
Open tuning for baritone uke

I have been playing with an open G tuning that is GBDG. It works great. Anyone else using this tuning?

Baritone open tuning

Try Open E which I am tuning as EG#BE. I have come up with some great chord structures for this tuning.

Top Bottom