Helping a friend find a uke

Skinny Money McGee

Reaction score
Greetings UU'rs
I have a friend who wants to get a Tenor uke. He is a fairly accomplished guitar player and is a stickler on quality instruments and owns several. So the uke will most likely be one of the production K brands or potentially a custom. I have warned him about the length of time a custom could take to build. I don't think "bling" is too important to him, sound and playability is. Although, at this point, I'm not sure what kind of sound he's looking for. Don't think he knows either since he's new to ukes.

He is about 6'4 and has large hands, big fingers. He likes the nut width of my Kanilea which is 1.5". I've heard many people talk about Pono's having beefier necks, but have no idea on the nut width. Although I'm not sure he would go for an Asian made uke.

I know Rick Turner's Compass Rose ukes are aimed at guitar players which would be an option. Don't know the specs or his back log.

At this point nut width is important. What uke brands have 1.5"+ nut widths? (Tenors) Any suggestions would be great

Last edited:
Mya Moe will make any of their ukes with a 1.5" nut, if you ask.

I would recommend a William King tenor for passionate guitar players like me.

Skinny, Mya Moe will put a 1.5 inch nut on any ukulele ordered, no additional charge, if requested ( it's mentioned on their website, too, in small print). I'm thinking about getting one on my upcoming soprano, and Gordon said no issues even on that size uke. Cheers!

Choice 1 recommendation: Kamaka HF-3L I have larger than average mits...and the added room is a pleasure to play...and the uniqueness is really great.

Choice 2 recommendation: KoAloha KTM-00...also a great ukulele, but at a lessor price point...

Choice 3 recommendation: Eye candy --> Kanilea anything, but since you said he was more into the sound...I recommend the first two...but Kanilea are very rich sounding I think landing somewhere between a KTM-00 and a HF-3L, but I have heard Bright sounding ones and warm sounding ones...so it really depends.

Pono would be really good at half the cost for a Mahogany Tenor Deluxe...Then it would be to test drive a R. Turner or a Collings...or a custom if he can wait...

Last edited:
I have a friend who wants to get a Tenor uke. He is a fairly accomplished guitar player and is a stickler on quality instruments and owns several. So the uke will most likely be one of the production K brands or potentially a custom.
Honestly? Before jumping in with a K brand or a custom, I'd say get something like a Mainland or a Pono. Let him decide if he likes it enough to invest in something more expensive.

Skinny, Mya Moe will put a 1.5 inch nut on any ukulele ordered, no additional charge, if requested ( it's mentioned on their website, too, in small print). I'm thinking about getting one on my upcoming soprano, and Gordon said no issues even on that size uke. Cheers!

Good to know MM will cut out a 1.5" fretboard. Thanks for the Mention. I'm guessing their lead time is at least a few months? I can call and find out.

Choice 1 recommendation: Kamaka HF-3L I have larger than average mits...and the added room is a pleasure to play...and the uniqueness is really great.

Choice 2 recommendation: KoAloha KTM-00...also a great ukulele, but at a lessor price point...

Choice 3 recommendation: Eye candy --> Kanilea anything, but since you said he was more into the sound...I recommend the first two...but Kanilea are very rich sounding I think landing somewhere between a KTM-00 and a HF-3L, but I have heard Bright sounding ones and warm sounding ones...so it really depends.

Pono would be really good at half the cost for a Mahogany Tenor Deluxe...Then it would be to test drive a R. Turner or a Collings...or a custom if he can wait...
Thanks for the suggestions. He really likes my Kanilea since it has the wider fretboard. How wide is your HF-3L at the nut? I went on Collings website and it looks like all of their models are 1 3/8ths.

Honestly? Before jumping in with a K brand or a custom, I'd say get something like a Mainland or a Pono. Let him decide if he likes it enough to invest in something more expensive.

I hear ya, but he will not buy cheap anything even if it's to see if he likes it. Nice position to be in I guess !! He's got a bunch of Martin guitars sitting in a closet right now, one of which he plays regularly.

I believe they are similar...not that different for me playing...between the three tenors...just the HF-3L has wider spacing between the frets. Even though my Concert has a tenor neck...the tenors seem to be more roomy to me all the way around with the Kamaka Longneck being the most roomy. I will measure when i get a free moment...

Top Bottom