should one humidify weird or cheap ukes?

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been covered, but should one humidify every uke and his uncle, in one's collection?

Here are three examples of weird ukes of mine:

1) RISA maple stick soprano uke

2) Mainland Chili plastic soprano uke

3) Triumph TR400 triangular tenor uke

PeteyHoudini, da curious!

It gets very dry here in Chicago during the winter...
...one of our mahogany dining chairs formed a crack.
So if your uke is made of any kind of wood, probably a good idea to humidify it.

Kinda depends on what your aiming here. Is "cheap" synonymous to "disposable" by your standards? Do they carry some sentimental value despite the low cost of these instruments?

Laminate instruments are more resistant to changes in humidity, but that doesn't mean that they can't break.

If you want to take care of them despite their value, you still might want to humidify them. Otherwise, leave them as is.

My honey and I live in the desert mountains (moved here from the Caribbean). Our three "good" wood instruments live in humidified cases. Everything else is either in a gig bag or sitting out.

My Risas haven't suffered from the dry climate at all. One Eleuke needed some fret wires filed after a year or so here. Our lam and solid-top ukes have been fine.

Kinda depends on what your aiming here. Is "cheap" synonymous to "disposable" by your standards? Do they carry some sentimental value despite the low cost of these instruments?

Laminate instruments are more resistant to changes in humidity, but that doesn't mean that they can't break.

If you want to take care of them despite their value, you still might want to humidify them. Otherwise, leave them as is.
Thanks everyone for your advice. I didn't mean "cheap" as no value, rather inexpensive. I've done some serious uke housecleaning the last year, so I'm left with my favs. Ok, I will humidify them all, but I'm still not sure about a plastic uke like the Chili Whilly Chilly!

petey

Hi Petey:

I don't think it's necessary to humidify a plastic ukulele. It's not porous.

Wooden fingerboards can dry out and shrink; you end up with frets protruding from the neck, requiring attention. Nevertheless, I don't humidify anything laminated or plastic and haven't had any trouble.

I have not had a chair crack, but I agree with Mr. December. It's dry as a brick oven around here, and throwing anything wood--ukes, teeth, whatever--into a plastic box with a car wash sponge is recommended.

Why I posted the above video--I have no clue. My brain must be parched. I'm feeling peckish.

Petey, please don't steal Fizzy Lifting Drinks~! It's not worth it. Good day, sir!

Last edited:
The Other Petey says Humidify It!
Talk about playing the stringed equivalent of the 3-headed dog of Cyberus! LOL hehe

This pseudo "Petey" has the hair and look, enough to be mine or Professor Snape's Doppelgänger, but hasn't a fashion clue about pants... sorry, no faded blue jeans. That just doesn't work with Petey numero uno. hehe Black pants only and not jeans. Also, a mid-length black trench coat is a Petey trademark with a black military beret! I've been called "Che, el comandante" by my Spanish speaking coworkers." hehe

PedroHoudini

Last edited:
Top Bottom