Starting a new Tenor

DewGuitars

Reaction score
Just thought I'd show some wood for my next project - a tenor ukulele.
This is Black Acacia from Tasmania.

Attachments

• NewUke Top & Back.jpg
    NewUke Top & Back.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 120
That is really pretty..

There are tons of different types of Acacia, probably at least a few that grow in California. I think there must be at least 30- 50 different types in Australia, New Zealand, and the S.Pacific Islands alone.

Looks really good !!!. I just had a look at your webpage - are you still making your "Smiley-Ukes"?

Thanks! It was just some leftover scrap I had laying around. ;-)

Well, as a matter of fact, I am still making the Smiley-Uke. I recently did a redesign of it as a tenor, and gave it a slightly different look. You will be hearing more about that soon, I should think.

Last edited:
Thanks David.

If anyone's interested, here are some pics of the Smiley-Uke.

Attachments

• Back4Final.jpg
    Back4Final.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Back1Final.jpg
    Back1Final.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Front1Final.jpg
    Front1Final.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 37
Pete,

Exactly my concern. Fortunately, the neck block will get to stabilize most of it. I have plans to stabilize it as best I can with CA glue as well. This won't ever be for sale anyway as it's intended to be my personal "beater" as they say.

There's a knot just north of the pattern on the top set (left) with a slight crack. So I have to keep the pattern well below that, even though it would be glued to the block and hidden by the fretboard.

I think I'm going to go with Madrose for the fretboard and bindings on this one, although it isn't set in stone. I've thought about tortoise shell bindings, but not sure about that.

Once saw a koa jumbo guitar at Collings guitar factory in for warranty - cracks either side of the tail block...

Ouch! I have a remedy for that. I never have the tail block sticking out past the depth of the linings. You just don't need a stress riser there, and it impedes tone, especially on the top.

Top Bottom