Buskers/Busking

nighthunte29

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Surprised there isn't a thread about busking yet! This is my ideal profession I think, busker/traveller!

Are there any buskers on the forum?

It would be great to share tips and advice, stories, experiences, just about everything busk related! Video footage, photo's... everything!
Go crazy guys, even if you saw one in the street yesterday and he was amazing!

Maluhia!

Sam

I'm a busker. I go busking each weekend as I hold down a full time day job. I'm not sure that HAVING to busk would make it better than busking because I want to.

I'm usually amplified through a Roland AC-33. Sometimes I go busking unamplified with my Rally banjo ukulele.

Anthony

I'm principally a singer/songwriter who accompanies myself on ukulele. That's how I started out. My ukulele playing has developed strongly though and I often play some instrumental pieces to give my voice a rest.

I don't have any video of myself busking. Here's a home recording of one of my original songs,

Anthony

This is great! Nice and mellow :D
Songwriting/Leaving it for others to sing is where I want to be, I notice you cover a lot of songs do you ever do cover songs whilst busking?

Anthony, your songs and covers and great. Could you tell me what kind of foot percussion are you using? Thanks.

Busking's a good way to practice for larger gigs. You learn how to quickly adapt to a constantly changing audience. Don't forget to chat with those that stop by. Also, seed your case! Ric

MotuHawaiiParty.jpg

Mini3Busking.jpg

BuskingSeedCase.jpg

This is great! Nice and mellow :D
Songwriting/Leaving it for others to sing is where I want to be, I notice you cover a lot of songs do you ever do cover songs whilst busking?

I definitely do covers too while busking. I have 50 to 60 songs that I do but only a dozen are originals. Some of my covers like Leaving on a Jet Plane and Down on the Corner are big favourites but my original songs do quite well when busking too.

Anthony

Anthony, your songs and covers and great. Could you tell me what kind of foot percussion are you using? Thanks.

Thanks. I have a foot STOMPER. Its a hollow box with a peizo pickup in it. I use it when busking too but not plugged in. If you tap it the right way you can get some volume out of it but not as loud as it would if plugged in. I've only got 2 channels on the AC-33 which I use for vocals and ukulele and percussive sounds can really draw on the power of a battery powered amp anyway.

Anthony

I haven't done any busking yet, but would like to; not sure I've reached an acceptable skill level yet. But yes, and I live in a great place to do busking, so I will one of these days! :)

Thanks. I have a foot STOMPER. Its a hollow box with a peizo pickup in it. I use it when busking too but not plugged in. If you tap it the right way you can get some volume out of it but not as loud as it would if plugged in. I've only got 2 channels on the AC-33 which I use for vocals and ukulele and percussive sounds can really draw on the power of a battery powered amp anyway.

Anthony

Anthony, I use the third channel on my AC-33 for situations like that. I got a second battery pack from Roland (about $40 bucks USD) to deal with high battery draw situations. By the way, the third channel is on the back of the AC-33 and has it's own volume control. It's the AUX IN that has both 1/8" and RCA stereo inputs. You may need an adaptor to use your stomper:

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_423449_back1.jpg

Thanks, I've thought about doing that but the auxiliary input requires line level and the stomper is outputting a microphone level signal so I would need another preamp. Its doable but honestly I get enough out of the stomper acoustically for busking if I place it correctly and I don't have to worry about the power draw.

Anthony

Yeah, we busk. Not quite as much as we used to as we now tend to play evenings in pubs and clubs.

Busking though is totally different experience and huge fun.

A member of the forum (Uncle Elvis) started off as a busker on Bermuda. He started playing outside of a bar close to where the cruise ships docked. He started about 3 years ago, and has devoped quite a following here on the UU by going to UWC. He may be hosting a major show on Bermuda very soon. Also, he is coming out with an album containing original music written by him.

Top Bottom