Maritn's new IZ ukes

I criticized this uke when I first saw it because of the lack of bridge pins. But I'm rethinking that; I was too harsh. I think it's a nice thing for Martin to do, and if I already didn't have this

attachment.php

..I might even go for it.

I may buy one too! hehe

Petey

It's a commemorative model in honor of Iz. Martin generally only does faithful reproductions of artist's instruments when they have access to the original to study and copy. Iz's Martin was cremated with him.

I've pretty much decided to get me one of these (played one of the prototypes a couple of weeks ago). My dealer says $1200 is the magic number (I can pick it up at the factory so no tax or shipping) and I have a like-new Martin D-15M I can sell to get me most of the way there...

Scooter

Elderly has the IZ model on order for late April arrival.
It is listed for sale at $1499. I wonder if it is much different from there non-commemorative model tenors, aside from the label, binding, rosette, tuners, and inlay? Hmm OK that is fair amount different.

Last edited:
I think it looks real nice from the pictures. Nice headstock not having the mickey mouse ears sticking out. Those pegheds look excellent, and I don't mind the tie bridge at all. They ought to make all their Tenor's and Concerts this way.

That looks nice. It's interesting to relate it to a previous thread and discover that Martin CAN, in fact, put non-geared tuners on a non-soprano ukulele!

Last edited:
I played one a few weeks ago at the factory. This uke has it all: looks, craftsmanship, sound and playability.

That looks nice. It's interesting to relate it to a previous thread and discover that Martin CAN, in fact, but non-geared tuners on a non-soprano ukulele!

Good point, Chris.

Aaron, I must have missed it before, but I just saw your Facebook page for the store--amazing! The photos. The songbooks. The strings. The uke wall. Amazing!@

Thanks! We are actually going to be a dealer for 2 or 3 more Ukulele brands coming up soon. Very excited about it! I'll wait til we sign all the paperwork and it's all official before I say what we'll be stocking. But it'll be great for the Midwest I'm thinking to have these brands represented :D

We also have a full line of Breedlove ukes on the way. Their Standard model, All Koa Master Class and a Kim Breedlove Signature model!

That looks nice. It's interesting to relate it to a previous thread and discover that Martin CAN, in fact, put non-geared tuners on a non-soprano ukulele!

Elderly Instruments can also make this adjustment for you on any Martin ukulele they carry. I'm in the process of ordering a regular Tenor with either Pegheds or black friction tuners replacing the geared tuners.

Judging from the pictures, I'm almost positive the IZ uke doesn't have any back binding (only top binding). To me that makes the instrument look incomplete, but that's probably only because I've been a guitar player for much longer. I noticed that some of Martin's other new instruments for 2013 also only have top binding (17 series).

Thanks! We are actually going to be a dealer for 2 or 3 more Ukulele brands coming up soon. Very excited about it! I'll wait til we sign all the paperwork and it's all official before I say what we'll be stocking. But it'll be great for the Midwest I'm thinking to have these brands represented :D

We also have a full line of Breedlove ukes on the way. Their Standard model, All Koa Master Class and a Kim Breedlove Signature model!

Pretty amazing, again! I don;t see that you have many upper end Martins in stock, but are getting the upper end Iz. I ordered two new Martin sopranos in 2012 from a guiatr store in Kentucky because I could find none locally, and had I known you could have ordered them for me, I would have called you. I will in the future. If I'm ever in Rockford, I'll stop by for sure. I love looking at guitars, too. and it was you that turned me on to Gordon Marks, Aaron, if I recall right. lol Thanks for that (did you ever find that rare Gordon Marks instruction book?)

Pretty amazing, again! I don;t see that you have many upper end Martins in stock, but are getting the upper end Iz. I ordered two new Martin sopranos in 2012 from a guiatr store in Kentucky because I could find none locally, and had I known you could have ordered them for me, I would have called you. I will in the future. If I'm ever in Rockford, I'll stop by for sure. I love looking at guitars, too. and it was you that turned me on to Gordon Marks, Aaron, if I recall right. lol Thanks for that (did you ever find that rare Gordon Marks instruction book?)

Yeah, we're the largest Martin dealer in Northern Illinois. Stop by if you're in the area. We have a little group that gets together once a month and play uke together, starting in the spring. We'll be stocking more Martin ukes soon, including some custom Martin ukes ;)

Nope, haven't found the book yet.

Top Bottom