Questions about a troublesome Ohana tenor

TexasKid

Reaction score
After taking my first tentative steps into the realm of the ukulele with a concert-sized Lanikai LU-21C, I decided that since I was having so much fun, it was time to get a solid wood instrument. I ordered a mahogany tenor Ohana (TK-35) from a reputable online dealer and received it a couple of days ago. It looks fantastic and feels good (the tenor is a good size for me), but unfortunately does not sound so great.

The first thing I noticed is that it won’t stay in tune. I can tune it, play for a couple of minutes, check tuning again and it is already out of tune on every string (Aquilas). I know that new strings will stretch as they settle in, but this seems excessive. I have also noticed that it seems to take significantly more finger pressure to play chords than on my LU-21C. I realize that there is more string tension on a tenor instrument than a concert, but the difference is remarkable, so much so that it is genuinely difficult to play. Furthermore, the chords, when played, tend to produce the wrong notes. For example, when playing a “C” chord, my tuner consistently shows a “G#” (even right after tuning). This doesn’t happen on my old uke. Finally, the overall sound (likely because of all of the preceding issues) is “muddier” than the concert uke. It’s hard to explain, but there just seems to be a lack of note separation and clarity of tone (if that makes any sense?). Can anyone offer any advice? I want to love this new ukulele, but I find that I am much more inclined to just pick up my old laminated uke because it works as it should and sounds so much better. Thanks in advance for any input!

Welcome to UU.

First, I would contact the seller but odds are the strings are just settling in. Some fluorocarbon strings might help you get the sound you desire. Personally I like Worth medium brown strings on my mahogany uke.

Contact the seller.

Contact the seller.

:agree: If by "reputable online dealer" you mean a big outfit like MusiciansFriend.com, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. then I'm not at all surprised and the uke needs a good setup. These outfits and most ebay retailers just ship whatever came in the factory box. I would return it and buy from one of the uke specific dealers that hang out here.

If you actually purchased it from one of the uke specific dealers that hang out here then I would contact them directly. The best of us have an off day from time to time - the difference between "real uke vendors" and the big outfits is that the real uke vendors care, will be embarrased if one managed to slip past them, and will do what it takes to make the situation right!

John

Problem solved!

Well, I found the problem, and I'm embarassed to say that it was me. I wish I could say that I'm surprised. Apparently I had mis-tuned the E-string without realizing it. I may still have to keep tuning regularly until the strings settle-in, but it sounds as it should now.

Incidentally, I purchased it from Ukulele World in Seabrook, Texas and Roy was great to deal with. I'm sure that if there had been an actual problem with the uke, he would have made it right. Thanks for everyone's input!

Well, I found the problem, and I'm embarassed to say that it was me. I wish I could say that I'm surprised. Apparently I had mis-tuned the E-string without realizing it. I may still have to keep tuning regularly until the strings settle-in, but it sounds as it should now.

Incidentally, I purchased it from Ukulele World in Seabrook, Texas and Roy was great to deal with. I'm sure that if there had been an actual problem with the uke, he would have made it right. Thanks for everyone's input!

As John (Olde Phart) said, we all have Off Days. Glad that you found the problem.

And yes, Roy would have made it right.

There's a reason that Mimmo at Aquila is sending the first batch of the new Red strings to him for resale. (g)

-Kurt​

Top Bottom