Grain orientation questions

dannyb

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have several small pieces of curly walnut left from a tenor build. They are perfect for size for a soprano bottom. However they grain is running 90 degree from normal. The side would be perpendicular to the standard way which has all grain running long ways with the uke. I know this is unusual as I believe I have seen it only once on UU. I really do not have any opinions whether I like it or not. If I knew of other pictures to help me make up my mind that would be good. Maybe someone can point to some picures? So any suggestions, input, thoughts or replies will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Danny Bassett

Last edited:
Thanks Liam! I just realized that I was saying side. I actually mean top or bottom. In my case my plan is as the bottom. I held it the piece up to my mold and with the curls running length wise and being only 1 piece it looked pretty good. I will build it. I made the correction in the post, a little late. Oh, well.

We talk tops and backs, and it would probably NOT be a good idea to run the grain perpendicular to the line of the strings. Some guitars were made in the late 1800s with the grain diagonal to the line of the strings, and that's the way Flemish harpsichords are built, but...

I have seen a couple of guitars from the mid to late 1800s with the grain of the outer layer of...yes...plywood...running perpendicular to the plane of the top and back. One was an extraordinary Zimmerman copy of a Schertzer harp guitar, and it was an 11 string Russian-style guitar...seven strings on the fretted neck and four harp strings. It was shipped from Russia to a luthier friend, Roy McAlister, "packed" literally in a burlap sack. The back and sides were Brazilian rosewood veneer over...something or other...

We talk tops and backs, and it would probably NOT be a good idea to run the grain perpendicular to the line of the strings. Some guitars were made in the late 1800s with the grain diagonal to the line of the strings, and that's the way Flemish harpsichords are built, but...

I have seen a couple of guitars from the mid to late 1800s with the grain of the outer layer of...yes...plywood...running perpendicular to the plane of the top and back. One was an extraordinary Zimmerman copy of a Schertzer harp guitar, and it was an 11 string Russian-style guitar...seven strings on the fretted neck and four harp strings. It was shipped from Russia to a luthier friend, Roy McAlister, "packed" literally in a burlap sack. The back and sides were Brazilian rosewood veneer over...something or other...

Sounds like that harp guitar was conceived at the famous Hellfire club of the 1800's...! ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Club

Top Bottom