Custom Uke: Worth it?

Spanalier

Reaction score
Although weather something is 'worth it' is rather a subjective question, I'm trying to make few decisions over the next week or so about where I want my uke collection to go.

As of now, I've got 4 playable ukuleles, which will probably increase to 5 when I get my act together and get my biscuit tin uke done :p I've got a Lanikai LU-21 entry level soprano that I'm loath to part with because it's a little sentimental. On top of that, I've got a modified tin can resonator concert, Kala tenor spruce top, and a vintage (circa 1920's-30's) mahogany soprano.

The problem stems from the fact that in about a year and a half, I'll be headed off to college. And one can't reasonably tote 3-4 ukes along (especially when you'll also be toting along a banjo, guitar, and upright bass).

My problem is this: the kala tenor and vintage soprano get the most playing time. I really enjoy playing both. However, I'd kind of like to keep it down to one instrument if I can, but I don't like either more than the other to take one, especially since they're pretty much polar opposites. Not only that, but I've got some severe UAS going on.

I'm really considering a custom uke, I feel like I might be able to tailor it a little better to my needs, but I'm also concerned it'll just become another wallet busting frivolity ): Maybe I should just upgrade to a nice(er) uke than my tenor (but of course, the vain part of me wants something that's mine--I'll never win :p)

What have your experiences been in ordering custom ukes? Did you feel it was worth it/the money?

I have two Mya-Moe "built to order" ukuleles (Gordon Mayer has said that he doesn't consider MMs to be true customs), a tenor and a baritone, and an "off the rack" Willie Wixom. In the pipeline is a Compass Rose baritone. I think they were all worth buying, but my circumstances are vastly different from yours -- I'm a middle-aged guy with a well-paying job, a rent-controlled apartment, a car that's paid for, and disposable income. Even "value" is a highly subjective thing, as it's dependent not only on the spending person's financial circumstances but also on the spending person's set of values (as in what's worth more to you, a $1,000 ukulele or $1,000 spent on an amazing trip to somewhere special). When I was going off to college, I was relatively poor and didn't have an assured source of income other than student loans. I was appalled to have to spend serious money (about $40, back in the late 1970s) on a decent pair of running shoes and would not have dreamed of buying an ukulele that cost more than a few hundred dollars, but I had friends in college from rich families who thought nothing about spending serious money on multiple guitars. I think the questions you really ought to ask should be directed at you -- do you have the kind of money it takes to buy a custom ukulele, will you worry about an expensive ukulele getting stolen from your dorm room, can you better use the money you might spend on a custom on other things that are important to you. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Things get trashed in college. If it were me, I'd be taking a good player that your buddies can throw up on :). Seriously. Plan the custom for the day you graduate!

I can whole-heartedly relate to you. I'm in medical school right now and it's almost as if I'm burning cash through tuition, books and coffee but I try to save what I can to get a custom uke to inspire me and keep on playing. Priorities have to come first though unless your majoring in music and you really need the instrument for performances.

Not sure what the weather has to do with it, although extreme temperatures and humidity levels can be hard on solid wood instruments. :)

If you want something that is completly built for you or to get a good idea of what it takes to build a quality uke, check out Griffinukuleles.com. There's nothing like a custom IMO. It has that special sound and feel knowing it was built with you in mind and the energy of the builder radiates from it from all the hours he/she spent hands on building it.

I love a thin, fast low actioned neck. I had a heck of time trying to find a uke that fit the bill. With a custom, I got the opprotunity to actually get what I was looking for in a neck.

A custom built uke is totally worth it, especially if you get everything you want on it. But if you are wanting a lot of bling, which is what most people who get a custom are wanting, the price is gonna mount. We're talking $2k+ here. Realistically, if you are wanting a uke to take to college with you, this in not the way to go. I wouldn't take much more than a laminate with me.

There's just too much that can happen. Your roomie might not understand that it's more than a toy, get it out while your gone and drop it. Or spill beer in it. Or drop pizza on it. The possibilities are endless. Not to mention, it could get stolen. Sorry to be such a downer, but I absolutely cherish my custom, and if anything happened to it and I could've controlled the situation to keep it from happening, I would be devastated. The case I keep mine in cost $325 (Ameritage), which is more than a lot of people are willing to spend on a uke, much less a case. I have a link embedded in my signature area. It has pictures of my uke in it, just to show you what you can get in a custom. Granted, mine has a little more bling than most, but it is exactly what I wanted. It was a one-shot deal, and I plan to keep it for the rest of my life.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and in your life in general.

Well, a custom will get you all that you could possibly specify in a uke. That means pleasure when you order and receive it, but also great loss when it is damaged or loss.

I was lucky during my college days that my housemates were very respectful of my instruments.

If you feel a custom is the way to go, nothing will change your mind. However, I'm with others here, take a cheap ukulele to college and enjoy it having fun during the many drinking nights ahead with friends and not worrying about waking up to find a high end ukulele damaged in the corner. Start your saving plan now with the aim of getting that prized custom built as your present to yourself for graduating.

Good luck,
ETF :cool:

Higher-end ukes are definitely worth the money.

That said, I took a $100 laminate tenor w me to my four years in college. Never worried about it for a second...and was glad I kept the more expensive ones at home.

Not sure what the weather has to do with it, although extreme temperatures and humidity levels can be hard on solid wood instruments. :)

Come on Bruddah, you know he didn't spell the word "whether" correctly but knew the meaning in the sentence like the rest of us.
Aloha Spanalier,
Wanting a custom is one thing, but as others have said, would it be a feasible investment?
Why not wait for graduation and reward yourself with a uke designed by you and built by a reputable Luthier of your choice. There are many to choose from that will fit your needs and desires. Until then, save what you can, research Luthiers, and ask friends who have Luthier built ukes for their opinion. If they are true friends, they'll tell you the truth about the instrument, good or bad.
At my good friend's home, I played several Luthier built ukes, all with high praises from others that I personally thought didn't warrant the prices commanded for them. They looked good but sounded like the Kala FMC I gave to my Grand-daughter at 1/6 the price. Caveat Emptor fo shua.
Good luck in your decision and don't be a bandwagon jumper. Research and try (if possible) before you buy..............BO...................

Bwahahahahah. A fellow spelling/grammar pedant stalks these boards.

Aloha KiB,
Snide remarks are really annoying me. Maybe should have taken more than a month and a half off of UU Forum for this exact reason. Maybe I will...............

Last edited:
I don't no the answer two Spanalier's question, butt I do no that an expensive uke will get busted up in college.
I was in college once and every one on my floor busted up all my stuff, and then stole my girl friend.

i recommend learning to play better before buying a expensive custom but again it feels good to play on a one of kind uke that will help you motivate to play more.
but from my experience you have to play the uke and love that sound of it because every one will sound different, even if its the exact same wood and model.
also ive notice even if its a custom build ,dos'nt mean its gonna sound good.
i got the chance to play some custom ukes and some were more cosmetic then good sound. good luck on your choice either way theres no right or wrong its all up to you.

Last edited:
If you feel a custom is the way to go, nothing will change your mind. However, I'm with others here, take a cheap ukulele to college and enjoy it having fun during the many drinking nights ahead with friends and not worrying about waking up to find a high end ukulele damaged in the corner. Start your saving plan now with the aim of getting that prized custom built as your present to yourself for graduating.

Good luck,
ETF :cool:

:agree: What etf said....word for word.

I think a custom is always a matter of choice. Some people really value a custom built to their specifications. I'm the other side of that coin; I've been playing fretted instruments for 30+ years, have owned nearly 200 instruments, and have never owned a custom. I am so in love with the art of luthiery that I can't imagine telling a craftsman how to build his or her instrument. Instead, I've been blessed to own many instruments that reflected the vision of the builder, who imagined things I never possibly could have. There's no right or wrong in this; just know that there are other options for that "forever" instrument besides a custom.

Top Bottom