PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Picnic in Hawaii 2013

hawaii 50
02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Yesterday i went to the Kaka'ako Waterfront Park for 5th Annual "Ukulele Picnic"
great venue..green rolling hills overlooking the blue Pacific ocean..uke paradise..not to mention all the performers on stage..from 9am to dark..wow

Some of the people i met and got to know..
Andrew,Arron and Mike from The Ukulele Site(aka HMS)i got to hang with them in their tent..which was right next to the Hawaii Builders Guild tent..

Aldrine,Bruce Shimabukuro,Kimo Hussey,Joe from Kanilea,Tekla from Kamaka and Fred Kamaka,Shawn and his really cute daughter from The Ukulele Friend,Tyler from Pua Pua,Nobu and his wife from Takumi Ukulele in Seattle,Dan Ryerson,Jay Litchy,Kelliyama and Nogdam/Daniel(from the UU)

Kimo had a beautiful Devine Tenor with him and J. Litchy had 3 great ukes with him..the Sinker Redwood top tenor will be at HMS soon..real nice!Dan Ryerson had 2 beautiful ukes with him too..what a treat..

this festival way smaller than the Hawaiian Uke Festival in July..but if you are on Oahu in Febuary don't miss it..small enough to talk to all of the ukulele world in Hawaii,,and i did get to talk to everyone above,for more than a few minutes..My hero Kimo Hussey super nice and very
laid back..

can't wait till next year!

Kanaka916
02-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Wot!!!! No Pikchas?

wayfarer75
02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Sounds like fun!

Dan Uke
02-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I was talking to Len and enjoying myself that I missed a few performers. LOL. Real cool guy and so was everyone else.

One thing Len and I noted was that many of the performers were playing non-koa ukes...hmmm

Anyways, checking UU while waiting for my food at Zippys before heading out to Disney Aulani Hotel. Great start to my vacation

caukulele
02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Did anyone take any pictures of the day?

Newportlocal
02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Wow. What an amazing time. So happy for both of you.

gyosh
02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I was talking to Len and enjoying myself that I missed a few performers. LOL. Real cool guy and so was everyone else.

One thing Len and I noted was that many of the performers were playing non-koa ukes...hmmm

Anyways, checking UU while waiting for my food at Zippys before heading out to Disney Aulani Hotel. Great start to my vacation

Say hi to my money for me at the Aulani:)

Still paying that off and I was there in July.

Dan Uke
02-11-2013, 04:42 PM

We are only staying one night and we buy all food outside the hotel. Just wanted to see how it is. Gotta save my money for ukes

coolkayaker1
02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
We are only staying one night and we buy all food outside the hotel. Just wanted to see how it is. Gotta save my money for ukes
Cool, Daniel! My brother stayed at Disney Hawaii this last summer, too.

I always have stayed, three times to HI, at KoOlina Beach Club condos (to Disney's left) or at the Ihilani Marriott (to your right...lol). That's a great part of the island to drive to anywhere!

Do buy, even while you're there, Blue Crush, for the kids (it's Pg-13, but there's not too much steam in it, really). It's a great great great movie set in Oahu. The surf scenes are out of this world! And Kate Bosworth is easy on the eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAyG60RPv-k

(Okay, I watched the trailer again; maybe it is a tad advanced for them. I showed my kiddo when he was growing up, but now he's warped, so it might have been the movie.)

MGM
02-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Hawaii 50. Thanks so much for hanging with us at the HMS tent and for all your help.....this wonderful guy went above and beyond helping feed us and watch our ukuleles.....
As for pictures I have some and will post when I can get to a regular computer for upload...the iPad is too slow..and tonight I am out with the owners of Takumi ukulele at their good friend wonderful Sushi Restuarant Chi Baken in Waikiki

coolkayaker1
02-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Hawaii 50. and tonight I am out with the owners of Takumi ukulele at their good friend wonderful Sushi Restuarant Chi Baken in Waikiki
Hitomi? ??

Dan Uke
02-11-2013, 07:33 PM
If you go to Koolina, they make you watch Blue Crush! LOL

I stay by Kahala side so closer to Haunama Bay I used to get island fever right away but difft now that I started playing uke.

Cool, Daniel! My brother stayed at Disney Hawaii this last summer, too.

I always have stayed, three times to HI, at KoOlina Beach Club condos (to Disney's left) or at the Ihilani Marriott (to your right...lol). That's a great part of the island to drive to anywhere!

Do buy, even while you're there, Blue Crush, for the kids (it's Pg-13, but there's not too much steam in it, really). It's a great great great movie set in Oahu. The surf scenes are out of this world! And Kate Bosworth is easy on the eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAyG60RPv-k

(Okay, I watched the trailer again; maybe it is a tad advanced for them. I showed my kiddo when he was growing up, but now he's warped, so it might have been the movie.)

coolkayaker1
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
You going to, HMS or a tour? Buying a uke? You need a soprano, nongdam.

ukunuke
02-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Sounds perfect - wish I'd known about it earlier, I would've been there.

Dan Uke
02-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Gonna go to HMS and Koaloha for sure...gonna stop by Kamaka to drop off a uke but not sure about their tour...Stopped by today and the people at the front wasn't that friendly.

As for sop...If I get one, it's gonna be a Vintage Martin but the desire to get one is a strong as getting a bari. hehehe

Dan Uke
02-11-2013, 08:17 PM
If that's the woman who is at NAMM, yes, she was at the Ukulele Picnic

Ronnie Aloha
02-11-2013, 08:49 PM
http://www.honolulupulse.com/slider/pics-ukulele-picnic-at-kakaako-waterfront-park#99075

lancemanion
02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
I was at the picnic also and took a few pics. It was a very Japanese event and was very interesting to see the talent and style of players from the far east. I was also able to get Herb "Ohta-san" Ohta's signature on the Ukulele that I am giving away when I collect all signatures of the world's best ukulele players.

Dan Uke
02-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Cool pics!

coolkayaker1
02-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Gonna go to HMS and Koaloha for sure...gonna stop by Kamaka to drop off a uke but not sure about their tour...Stopped by today and the people at the front wasn't that friendly.

As for sop...If I get one, it's gonna be a Vintage Martin but the desire to get one is a strong as getting a bari. hehehe

Cool! Pics please, D. Pretty please.

No doubt, vintage Martin is the way to go. They have one at HMS. And you could call ukulele friends Shawn and play his stock of Martins. I think you saw him at the picnic, no?

coolkayaker1
02-12-2013, 02:47 AM
http://www.honolulupulse.com/slider/pics-ukulele-picnic-at-kakaako-waterfront-park#99075
These pics are off the hook!! Why is is that girls in Hawaii are so pretty, too. Any age. Everyone is always smiling, I think, is part of it. You got so many great shots, Ronnie. Cardboard box sledding, the works. Fun!

Trinimon
02-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Wow! Those are some great pics! Looks like soooo much fun!

caukulele
02-12-2013, 06:40 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like it was a wonderful day.

Ronnie Aloha
02-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Not my pics. Just sent link from local paper.

hawaii 50
02-12-2013, 09:44 AM

Hey Daniel..that was funny the way we met..let me know when you go to The Ukulele Site(aka HMS)i meet you there if we can set it up..i want to show Mike Andrew and Aaron my CR andGraziano too..

i start private lessons with Roy Sakuma on weds.starting tommorrow..when i get bettah i switch to Aaron at HMS

yeah alot of spruce top ukes..almost everyone.uh..

what about that Jay Litchey for HMS nice!!and the Devine Kimo Hussey had Wow!!

the best i was talking to my CR buddy Keliiyama..but he did not know it was me HaHa he had his CR in his bag too..but i did not see it Lol

take care
Len

hawaii 50
02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Wot!!!! No Pikchas?

sorry did not know what to expect..the venue the best it can be!

hawaii 50
02-12-2013, 09:46 AM

i said Hi to Aldrine for you..he had a big smile when i told him we were friends..

wickedwahine11
02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Does anyone happen to know the dates yet for 2014?

ChaosToo
02-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Put me down for 2025 - I'll be retired by then, and my first post retirement holiday is Hawaii (hopefully before I'm too old to be able to enjoy the waves!)

:D