Ukulele Picnic in Hawaii 2013

hawaii 50

Reaction score
Yesterday i went to the Kaka'ako Waterfront Park for 5th Annual "Ukulele Picnic"
great venue..green rolling hills overlooking the blue Pacific ocean..uke paradise..not to mention all the performers on stage..from 9am to dark..wow

Some of the people i met and got to know..
Andrew,Arron and Mike from The Ukulele Site(aka HMS)i got to hang with them in their tent..which was right next to the Hawaii Builders Guild tent..

Aldrine,Bruce Shimabukuro,Kimo Hussey,Joe from Kanilea,Tekla from Kamaka and Fred Kamaka,Shawn and his really cute daughter from The Ukulele Friend,Tyler from Pua Pua,Nobu and his wife from Takumi Ukulele in Seattle,Dan Ryerson,Jay Litchy,Kelliyama and Nogdam/Daniel(from the UU)

Kimo had a beautiful Devine Tenor with him and J. Litchy had 3 great ukes with him..the Sinker Redwood top tenor will be at HMS soon..real nice!Dan Ryerson had 2 beautiful ukes with him too..what a treat..

this festival way smaller than the Hawaiian Uke Festival in July..but if you are on Oahu in Febuary don't miss it..small enough to talk to all of the ukulele world in Hawaii,,and i did get to talk to everyone above,for more than a few minutes..My hero Kimo Hussey super nice and very
laid back..

can't wait till next year!

Wot!!!! No Pikchas?

Yeah, I was talking to Len and enjoying myself that I missed a few performers. LOL. Real cool guy and so was everyone else.

One thing Len and I noted was that many of the performers were playing non-koa ukes...hmmm

Anyways, checking UU while waiting for my food at Zippys before heading out to Disney Aulani Hotel. Great start to my vacation

Wow. What an amazing time. So happy for both of you.

Yeah, I was talking to Len and enjoying myself that I missed a few performers. LOL. Real cool guy and so was everyone else.

One thing Len and I noted was that many of the performers were playing non-koa ukes...hmmm

Anyways, checking UU while waiting for my food at Zippys before heading out to Disney Aulani Hotel. Great start to my vacation

Say hi to my money for me at the Aulani:)

Still paying that off and I was there in July.

Say hi to my money for me at the Aulani:)

Still paying that off and I was there in July.

We are only staying one night and we buy all food outside the hotel. Just wanted to see how it is. Gotta save my money for ukes

We are only staying one night and we buy all food outside the hotel. Just wanted to see how it is. Gotta save my money for ukes
Cool, Daniel! My brother stayed at Disney Hawaii this last summer, too.

I always have stayed, three times to HI, at KoOlina Beach Club condos (to Disney's left) or at the Ihilani Marriott (to your right...lol). That's a great part of the island to drive to anywhere!

Do buy, even while you're there, Blue Crush, for the kids (it's Pg-13, but there's not too much steam in it, really). It's a great great great movie set in Oahu. The surf scenes are out of this world! And Kate Bosworth is easy on the eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAyG60RPv-k

(Okay, I watched the trailer again; maybe it is a tad advanced for them. I showed my kiddo when he was growing up, but now he's warped, so it might have been the movie.)

Last edited:
Hawaii 50. Thanks so much for hanging with us at the HMS tent and for all your help.....this wonderful guy went above and beyond helping feed us and watch our ukuleles.....
As for pictures I have some and will post when I can get to a regular computer for upload...the iPad is too slow..and tonight I am out with the owners of Takumi ukulele at their good friend wonderful Sushi Restuarant Chi Baken in Waikiki

If you go to Koolina, they make you watch Blue Crush! LOL

I stay by Kahala side so closer to Haunama Bay I used to get island fever right away but difft now that I started playing uke.

Cool, Daniel! My brother stayed at Disney Hawaii this last summer, too.

I always have stayed, three times to HI, at KoOlina Beach Club condos (to Disney's left) or at the Ihilani Marriott (to your right...lol). That's a great part of the island to drive to anywhere!

Do buy, even while you're there, Blue Crush, for the kids (it's Pg-13, but there's not too much steam in it, really). It's a great great great movie set in Oahu. The surf scenes are out of this world! And Kate Bosworth is easy on the eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAyG60RPv-k

(Okay, I watched the trailer again; maybe it is a tad advanced for them. I showed my kiddo when he was growing up, but now he's warped, so it might have been the movie.)

Sounds perfect - wish I'd known about it earlier, I would've been there.

Gonna go to HMS and Koaloha for sure...gonna stop by Kamaka to drop off a uke but not sure about their tour...Stopped by today and the people at the front wasn't that friendly.

As for sop...If I get one, it's gonna be a Vintage Martin but the desire to get one is a strong as getting a bari. hehehe

I was at the picnic also and took a few pics. It was a very Japanese event and was very interesting to see the talent and style of players from the far east. I was also able to get Herb "Ohta-san" Ohta's signature on the Ukulele that I am giving away when I collect all signatures of the world's best ukulele players.

picnic.jpgpicnic2.jpgHerbOhta.jpg

Gonna go to HMS and Koaloha for sure...gonna stop by Kamaka to drop off a uke but not sure about their tour...Stopped by today and the people at the front wasn't that friendly.

As for sop...If I get one, it's gonna be a Vintage Martin but the desire to get one is a strong as getting a bari. hehehe

Cool! Pics please, D. Pretty please.

No doubt, vintage Martin is the way to go. They have one at HMS. And you could call ukulele friends Shawn and play his stock of Martins. I think you saw him at the picnic, no?

Top Bottom