New uke purchased

Liamfsus7

Reaction score
JUST got home with my new uke, my second. A tanglewood TU3 natural. It's beautiful, I love it.

Apart from it buzzes when I play frets 1 to 5 on G and C. Argghhh, any suggestions? The buzzing comes the *the bit where the strings start*

Helppp? :(

It doesn't buzz when played lightly, I'm so sad about this :(

Okay.. So I think it's the bit the string goes over after its knot, is that the bridge? It leans towards the head ever so slightly, and no more than my other uke. But when I hold it back with my fingers it solves the problem. Can I fix this myself?

Okay.. So I think it's the bit the string goes over after its knot, is that the bridge? It leans towards the head ever so slightly, and no more than my other uke. But when I hold it back with my fingers it solves the problem. Can I fix this myself?

if it is the bridge you could loosen the strings off and turn the bridge around.
parts-of-the-ukulele.jpg

Buzzing is usually related to action (the amount of space between the frets and the strings. Does is buzz when you don't fret a string and just pluck or strum it open?

The part on the bridge that is removable is called the saddle. Usually ukuleles buzz over a fret, not the saddle so I don't think anything you do there will make much difference. You can try putting a bit of paper under the strings at the nut. Just a tiny piece to lift the string a bit out the nut. Then try playing. If that fixes it, the slots in your nut are too low for those strings.

One more thought.....did you change strings? Lots of new ukuleles come with Aquila strings, which are pretty thick. If you changed to a smaller diameter string it would bring the string down in the nut and could cause it to buzz.

i had buzzing on my tanglewood TU7, on A and E found the neck was bowed so had it changed, make sure you tune it, if it still buzzes take it back to shop and get them to change it,

It does still buzz if I strum open, only slightly forcefully.

I tried the paper, it stemmed to improve the g strong, only slightly but not the c strong.

It still has the Aquila strings it came with.

Thanks for trying to help :)

And it is all the strings buzzing, or creating the buzzing. Just less noticeable on a an e

i had buzzing on my tanglewood TU7, on A and E found the neck was bowed so had it changed, make sure you tune it, if it still buzzes take it back to shop and get them to change it,
Looks like I might have to :(

It buzzes less the closer to the bridge I strum/pluck. Is that useful or just because the strings vibrate less there themselves?

You either have very poorly leveled frets or a back bow in the neck (unless the bridge saddle is just crazy low, which is unlikely). In any case, none of these are problems you should have on a new uke, take it back to the shop and exchange it for another or get your money back.

John

I will take it back. So frustrating, but thanks for your help guys!!

Top Bottom