Oasis and/or in-uke humidifier for under $18?

connor013

Reaction score
Hey UU,

So I finally got around to hanging the ukes from the living room wall, and I need a few in-body humidifiers.

I like the Oasis, but if somebody knows of another cool option please let me know.

Best deal I can find online is 18.95, so if anyone knows of any specials, or makes them in their basement or whatever, please give me a shout.

Cheers.

You can build your own for pocket change.
There are several threads here in UU.

Small plastic container + 1/16" drill bit + water absorbing crystals = humidifier
(always use distilled water)

You can build your own for pocket change.
There are several threads here in UU.

Small plastic container + 1/16" drill bit + water absorbing crystals = humidifier
(always use distilled water)

Thanks, Doc.

I've made those for case humidifiers. I guess I'm a little concerned about it being in the body and all.

Nonetheless, it's time for some research.

If you use the thin glitter tubes they fit perfectly between the strings - I'd not be worried about them at all. Of course, you do have the issue that they aren't going to close up the sound hole like some humidifiers.

I'd go with a room humidifier, personally, if you must have the ukes hanging on the wall. Remember that, while cracks usually manifest in the body, other areas of the uke are affected by lack of humidity, too. It's not at all uncommon for fretboards to shrink enough that fret ends protrude (I've seen one severe case where the fret ends were hanging over at least 1/32", maybe even 1/16". That's an unusually severe case but it's not at all uncommon for the wood to shrink away enough to make the fret ends into a bunch of little bitty knives.

It's probably not an issue on most "factory ukes," but the glue on many high-end and vintage ukes can dry out. You see many old ukes where the neck and/or bridge are pulling away and need to be reset.

In-body humidifiers aren't going to do anything for the above problems when the uke is hanging on a wall...

John

If you use the thin glitter tubes they fit perfectly between the strings - I'd not be worried about them at all. Of course, you do have the issue that they aren't going to close up the sound hole like some humidifiers.

I'd go with a room humidifier, personally, if you must have the ukes hanging on the wall. Remember that, while cracks usually manifest in the body, other areas of the uke are affected by lack of humidity, too. It's not at all uncommon for fretboards to shrink enough that fret ends protrude (I've seen one severe case where the fret ends were hanging over at least 1/32", maybe even 1/16". That's an unusually severe case but it's not at all uncommon for the wood to shrink away enough to make the fret ends into a bunch of little bitty knives.

It's probably not an issue on most "factory ukes," but the glue on many high-end and vintage ukes can dry out. You see many old ukes where the neck and/or bridge are pulling away and need to be reset.

In-body humidifiers aren't going to do anything for the above problems when the uke is hanging on a wall...

John

Thanks for the comments, John. Funny how some (read: me) can ignore obvious facts in the face of silly wants.

I appreciate the dose of common sense.

Thanks for the comments, John. Funny how some (read: me) can ignore obvious facts in the face of silly wants.

I appreciate the dose of common sense.

Heh, heh. I can relate to the wants, thing. I'd like to have my ukes on the wall too. Some folks have built really nice looking display cases to hang on the wall that hold several ukes and they have a glass front so you can put a humidifier in the display case. That's the route I'd like to go but since most everything I build of wood ends up looking like the lopsided bird house I made from popsicle sticks in second grade I'll probably never tackle it. LOL

John

Top Bottom