PDA

View Full Version : GNUF - Ukes in the Northern Bit of the UK

casetone2514
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Greetings

I thought I'd mention that we (meaning a good half dozen people and myself) are planning a ukulele festival in mid-late October in the North of England. We've actually talked about it a lot, met a number of times and convinced ourselves that we should build it (and people might come).

It is only just now taking shape (as we are getting apps into funders, putting deposits on venues and spreading the workload).

The thinking is that a lot of the bigger uke stuff in the UK happens in/around London and the South and that something big in the north could work. We want to particularly welcome clubs and we are thinking of the Leeds or Manchester area to hold the event

SO...

this is just a kind of preliminary post.
please share your thoughts
and questions
and I'll try to answer

Cheers

Tony Casey

ChaosToo
02-11-2013, 10:32 PM
If it's up this way, I'll come along!

I think there are quite a few established UU members who are 'ooop North' too ....... I'm sure they'll be along in a bit

barefootgypsy
02-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Are you thinking ukes plus banjoleles, or just wooden ukes? Just interested....

casetone2514
02-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Barefootgypsey - We want this festival to have a "northern" identity, but we also want it to be inclusive. Ukulele, banjoleles, Hawaiian-style, trad-style, Formby-style, everyone is welcome. Plus, we are working on a line-up that will incorporate as many genres as possible. If you have a uke club, let me have the details, because we want to contact as many of them as possible.

ChaosToo - I see you are in the Northwest. Hopefully, our venue will be centrally placed in the north, so it depends how far north and how far west you are.

The Big Kahuna
02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
We want this festival to have a "northern" identity

Shopping list:

Whippet - check
Flat Cap - check
Black Pudding - check
Clogs - check
Impenetrable Regional Accent - check

Ok, I'm all set. Where we having it ?

casetone2514
02-13-2013, 07:55 PM
The Big Kahuna - I'm not sure, but I think that post may be vaguely racist?

The Big Kahuna
02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Doubtful, seeing as I'm a Sheffield lad ;)

phil hague
02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
There are loads of uke clubs round Manchester area. Macclesfield, Stockport, Levenshulme, Nantwich, and I think Wigan and Chester to name just a few. I think you will find some of us are up for it. Keep us Posted.

The Big Kahuna
02-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Macclesfield

Heh, I've got a mental image of The Macc Lads on Ukulele now.

Anyone fancy posting a tribute video ?

casetone2514
02-14-2013, 05:55 PM
We hope to be able to confirm the venue early next week, along with the exact dates.

Phil Hague - thanks for that. We will bee looking up as many uke groups as possible and inviting them to attend. Even southerners (like people from Sheffield) will be welcomed with open arms.

We have a website under construction and all information will be available there, as and when we get it http://www.northernuke.com/

ChaosToo
02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Heh, I've got a mental image of The Macc Lads on Ukulele now.

Anyone fancy posting a tribute video ?

A Macc Lads season would be hilarious - but I think a touch too offensive for many......

Where abouts is the group/jam/club in Macc Phil? Is it the one you go to, seeing as you're only just up the road?

I'm kind of in the middle of Nantwich, Macc and Chester, but as a shift worker, it'd be nice to have the option of flitting between a few (as long as they don't mind complete duffers turning up!)

:D

phil hague
02-15-2013, 12:54 AM
You can find us on maccukulele.co.uk. Meetings wednesdays at Castle Inn or Boarhound.

ChaosToo
02-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Cheers Phil - might pop along one day - especially seeing as there's beer! :D