PDA

View Full Version : Plainsong banned?? :/

Teek
02-11-2013, 09:24 PM
BUMMER. :(

And Webby too, sniff. :eek:

mds725
02-11-2013, 09:42 PM
I deleted this post deleted because it added nothing of value and because it quoted a post that has since been significantly changed. Unfortunately, my post lives on in the following post. Sigh.

Dan Uke
02-11-2013, 09:47 PM
That "Hallelujua!!!" is gratuitously mean, and not at all in keeping with what I though of as the Aloha spirit of his forum.

Mark u made so many spelling mistakes that the spelling police will get u! :p

consitter
02-11-2013, 09:52 PM
My question is "Why?" What did she do??

Teek
02-11-2013, 09:53 PM
No, just meant as a tongue in cheek reference to the egregiously long thread Ken Middleton started that became an offensive debate on religion. And BTW there is nothing "wrong" with Hallelujah, whoever sings it, and starting and then continually stirring up drama just to see who gets hurt is hardly "Aloha". I honestly wish Kim well and hope she has found a more appropriate outlet.

Oh gosh, let me just edit my original post.

There, all better.

bazmaz
02-11-2013, 10:19 PM
She did have a knack of getting snippy with people. Didn't see what caused it, so will say no more.

mm stan
02-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Always sad when others get banned....wish them both well ........

Ken Middleton
02-11-2013, 11:02 PM
This form of censorship makes me so, so cross.

Teek
02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
I don't know or care why either was banned. I just happened to see old posts in an old thread. I would guess for bullying. I haven't been on the forum except for a quick look in the market a few times for four months. I'm extremely grateful to them for helping me kick UU because they made me scratch my head and think why the hell am I spending my time reading this crap? Now I just play my ukes instead of reading about other people playing theirs.

Oh and I don't know or care what Ken has to say because I blocked him too. I refuse to own an Ohana ever again BTW. Just on principal.

Ken Middleton
02-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Oh and I don't know or care what Ken has to say because I blocked him too. I refuse to own an Ohana ever again BTW. Just on principal.

What principal???

In what way, shape or form have I ever offended you? I don't even know your name or in which part of the world you live!

barefootgypsy
02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
I don't know or care why either was banned. I just happened to see old posts in an old thread. I would guess for bullying. I haven't been on the forum except for a quick look in the market a few times for four months. I'm extremely grateful to them for helping me kick UU because they made me scratch my head and think why the hell am I spending my time reading this crap? Now I just play my ukes instead of reading about other people playing theirs.

And as I step back in amazement, jaw on the floor...........??????????

drbekken
02-12-2013, 12:24 AM
What, if I may ask, is this thread about?

consitter
02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
What, if I may ask, is this thread about?

Heh. Yeah, it does kinda drift doesn't it?

Louis0815
02-12-2013, 12:58 AM
What, if I may ask, is this thread about?Seems UU lost some VIPs and active contributors to the forums - and others have mixed feelings about this....

Doc_J
02-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Bummer! I miss them already.:(

Can someone post or PM me what happened?

kvehe
02-12-2013, 01:34 AM
It's too bad to lose someone this way. I had a number of very pleasant PM exchanges with her, and am also wondering what happened.

dkcrown
02-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Bummer! I miss them already.:(

Can someone post or PM me what happened?

Boy, you lose power for a couple of days and miss all the fireworks. I never like to hear when people are banned.

Eriquito
02-12-2013, 01:48 AM
I didn't even know you could get banned...What do you have to do for that to happen?

UkuleleHill
02-12-2013, 02:12 AM
I didn't even know you could get banned...What do you have to do for that to happen?

The main thing is to read and understand the rules... The number one rule aka the Golden Rule is the most important...

The rules are here to ensure that UU is a safe and enjoyable place for 'ukulele fans of all ages.

GOLDEN RULE: DON'T BE A JERK

Pukulele Pete
02-12-2013, 02:13 AM
Wow , I saw someone was banned and had to read the thread. The really offensive must have been deleted? I didnt see anything I would consider " ban worthy" . I find religious debate either boring or funny. It's strange , the first year I discovered UU , I was attacked by a moron on this site and he wasnt banned. Unless I missed something I dont understand the banning , seems alittle
severe to ban someone for this.

UkuleleHill
02-12-2013, 02:15 AM
Wow , I saw someone was banned and had to read the thread. The really offensive must have been deleted? I didnt see anything I would consider " ban worthy" . I find religious debate either boring or funny. It's strange , the first year I discovered UU , I was attacked by a moron on this site and he wasnt banned. Unless I missed something I dont understand the banning , seems alittle
severe to ban someone for this.

The religious thread they are talking about was months ago. It is not the reason for her banning... I don't know particulars, but I do know that.

Pukulele Pete
02-12-2013, 02:18 AM
The religious thread they are talking about was months ago. It is not the reason for her banning... I don't know particulars, but I do know that.

Oh , ...........never mind.

SuzukHammer
02-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Lucky for me, I don't know any of the particulars. I will say....... nothing.

seeso
02-12-2013, 04:19 AM
I'll post just once in this thread to address this issue.

Kim was actually one of our very first members here at UU. I like her quite a bit. Banning her was no easy task. I'll not elaborate on the details, but suffice it to say the action was justified. Things got to the point where no other avenue was possible, given her history.

I sincerely wish nothing but the best for her. I think her heart is always in the right place, but it tended to overrule her head too much. I would definitely want her on my side in a fight.

Paul December
02-12-2013, 04:39 AM
Plainsong gone?
....yawn.

Dan Uke
02-12-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm sure peeps r curious on da reason but move on as there's plenty of great peeps on uu n positive stuff here.

OldePhart
02-12-2013, 07:52 AM
The one rule that seems inviolable here (and I fully support it) - you don't make personal attacks on other UUers and call them names. I like Plainsong but she stepped way over that line (and without any real provocation that I could see) in at least one thread within the last few days.

I wish her well and hope she finds some balance in her life; when one reaches the point where verbally attacking and belittling someone you've probably never met over imagined slights to a third party seems normal or acceptable it's probably time to take a little break and find your center.

John

Kamanaaloha
02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Note to self: don't troll forums and don't grief/flame people and u will be fine...the usual forum EULA stuff

bbycrts
02-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Our moderators are level-headed and incredibly patient. I have never found a valid reason to question their management decisions on UU. They are also volunteers with a thankless task. I do know they don't act hastily and before any drastic move is made they consult with each other.

As far as banning and such - I trust these people to make rational decisions and only ban those who are causing harm to others or to the integrity of the forums by violating, repeatedly, stated rules. This is not censorship - it is management. We have been trusted with much larger leeway on UU than I've ever seen in any other forum as long as that golden rule is met and abided by.

The circumstances of bannings are, thankfully, kept between the moderators and the individuals involved. Any discussion here presents an incomplete picture of the situation and is best left unsaid publicly, in my opinion.

I am good friends with a couple of moderators - but I've never asked them to tell me about these decisions. It's none of my business.

bazmaz
02-12-2013, 09:51 AM
when one reaches the point where verbally attacking and belittling someone you've probably never met over imagined slights to a third party seems normal or acceptable it's probably time to take a little break and find your center.

John

Could not agree more John

PeteyHoudini
02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm on a number of forums, non ukulele, and I remember seeing one guy getting banned. He was a really smart guy, rather funny, but he started by insulting the software, not taking users suggestions to help solve his problems, and then finally he got to attacking many of the users non-stop in a civil but unsettling way. That really got out of hand as the other users responded and he got banned. He deserved it. I know nothing about this case, but no decision by the admins is taken lightly. Someone really has to cross the line repeatedly.

Petey

Dan Uke
02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
And I dont think any mods would ban anyone for a one time offense but for repeated violations. I know I pushed a few buttons on an occasion or two but overall, I try to be polite or at least I think I am. We have cool and understanding mods. I love it when Jon warns us and that is when my devilish side comes out. :p

Sporin
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Not specific to Plainsong at all, but I've noticed things getting a bit more condescending and snippy around here in the last 6 or 8 months (moreso then I noticed when I first joined) so if the Mods think banning a few offenders (and I'm sure they don't come to that lightly) then frankly, I'm all for it.

cantsing
02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Our moderators are level-headed and incredibly patient. ... They are also volunteers with a thankless task.
Well said. I know I take them for granted, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the moderators for their dedication to keeping this forum running smoothly.

buddhuu
02-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Please can we think twice before making critical observations regarding anyone who is not able to answer that criticism here. Seems the fair way to proceed.

Thanks.

UncleMoon
02-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Please can we think twice before making critical observations regarding anyone who is not able to answer that criticism here. Seems the fair way to proceed.

Thanks.

I'd like to cosign this, and ask that the thread be locked.

mm stan
02-12-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks.

Right on Rick,
you got a good heart in the right place man.....older hippie..:)

electrauke
02-12-2013, 03:17 PM
I trust that the moderators know what they are doing. If they ban someone they have a reason. So TRUST THEM AND OBEY! :) Just kidding, that sounds like we are in a Totalitarian State.

patico
02-12-2013, 03:23 PM
i was here !!

soupking
02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
I think Kim is very intelligent and witty, and I'm really gonna miss her. I thought she brought a lot to the table. Was she opinionated? Yes, very. Did she cross the line occasionally? Absolutely. I didn't think it was anything malicious though ever. She stood her ground and didn't let anyone push her around. The fact that she'd been here so long just makes it stink that much more. I don't bring this up to raise any issues with the decision, just so we're clear- just that it's sad, to me at least. Thinking back, I guess she was wrong about one thing: evidentially, it's *not* all "sunshine and cupcakes" around here. As long as people are gonna knock her to where she can't respond, I just wanted to say something nice. Apologies if anyone's offended by that...

Freeda
02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
I trust that the moderators know what they are doing. If they ban someone they have a reason. So TRUST THEM AND OBEY! :) Just kidding, that sounds like we are in a Totalitarian State.

This is not a public space. It is a privately owned and run business website. Not a democracy. We are guests. If our hosts point out something problematic that we are doing we should shape up or prepare to ship out.

I own another site with a forum. I guarantee 90% of forum members have almost no idea how much work (and time and money) it is to provide a space like this.

Nickie
02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
I wish that we could all just get along...we'were supposed to learn that in kindergarten (which I didn't attend). People don't behave, for whatever reason, and some are easily insulted. I've enjoyed this forum for over a year, and have learned a lot, about ukuleles and human nature.
Anything we do is going to experience change...people and things are going to come and go...there is always growth, and sometimes it hurts. I will miss Kim, I don't know what she said, but maybe it's best I don't...she might have been having a suck day...
I think we are here to help each other...when my best friend raked me over the coals for something I didn;t do, I gave her the beneift of doubt, becuase she had a very rough year last year...and she apologized because it hurt me, and then we laughed and moved on...
As ukulele players and musicians, we all share a common bond, and we need to be supportive, whatever is said...we are supposed to be adults, please lets all behave like mature people who hold the ukulele and our unity supreme...let's teach that the ukulele heals, doesn't hurt...
Peace, everyone

AndrewKuker
02-12-2013, 05:28 PM
I really liked Kim. I only pm'd her through here so if anyone has her personal email I would like to wish her the best. Good people make bad choices all the time. I think the controversy that she brought was her idea of being real and keepin' it lively but I suppose she got too heated for the principles laid out. I don't know or want to know what happened but hope she does well. She was originally an accomplished clarinet player and talked about getting there with the uke. Perhaps this affords her more time to do that.

Tigeralum2001
02-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Is a ban for life or a defined period? Is not for life, are we assuming she would chose not to return?

I like Kim and hope she does come back.

ricdoug
02-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Bring Kim back and remove political biased moderators. This is a happy musical forum. Ric

The Big Kahuna
02-12-2013, 07:09 PM
I only pm'd her through here so if anyone has her personal email I would like to wish her the best.

Check my friends list on FaceBook, Andrew. You'll find her in there if you want to send her a friend request.

Dwjkerr
02-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Bring Kim back and remove political biased moderators. This is a happy musical forum. Ric

I wish that was true. One happy musical family. However I read her last public post and while I may think she was reacting out of anger I do think she went a little too far. I can't fault the moderators.

The Big Kahuna
02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
remove political biased moderators

On the contrary, the mods regularly remove or warn about politically biased posts.

Ken Middleton
02-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Is a ban for life or a defined period? Is not for life, are we assuming she would chose not to return?

I like Kim and hope she does come back.

You can only ban a user-name, not a person. They can, of course, return any time they choose. The question is whether they would want to. I suspect that Plainsong has found the experience to be rather unpleasant.

nighthunte29
02-12-2013, 11:17 PM
This thread should have been closed ages ago. It is something to be discussed in private... Surely?

Ken Middleton
02-12-2013, 11:26 PM
This thread should have been closed ages ago. It is something to be discussed in private... Surely?

No, I don't think it should. This sort of thing should be discussed openly, not in secret. In my opinion, threads are closed too often, and sometimes for no good reason.

buddhuu
02-12-2013, 11:28 PM
For your consideration.

Members do not see all that happens here. Members may miss things that occur in threads they haven't read. Members certainly do not see what is said in PMs to which they are not privvy. Members may not see all that leads to certain consequences.

Similarly, when it may appear that no action is being taken on an issue, members only see what is posted on the open board. They do not see efforts that take place behind the scenes.

People are tragically prone to making judgements without the benefit of all facts. People are also prone to making judgements based upon one side of a story.

These tendencies are rarely helpful.

buddhuu
02-12-2013, 11:31 PM
One reason that you have a moderator team is that people find it hard to agree on matters such as when threads should close.

When it is not possible to please everyone, one does what one hopes is best for the most people.

Mistakes happen. But not always.

anthonyg
02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
On another forum I'm on that's similar to this one there is a housekeeping subsection and a thread of banned members. It quickly state who was banned, what for and for how long. People don't usually get permanently banned first up. They usually get banned for a week or 2 for a first infraction.

Anthony

electrauke
02-13-2013, 05:23 AM
This is not a public space. It is a privately owned and run business website. Not a democracy. We are guests. If our hosts point out something problematic that we are doing we should shape up or prepare to ship out.

I own another site with a forum. I guarantee 90% of forum members have almost no idea how much work (and time and money) it is to provide a space like this.

Oh, I did not mean to say the site was a Democracy. It is funny how people interpret things differently. Whatever.

nighthunte29
02-13-2013, 05:33 AM
No, I don't think it should. This sort of thing should be discussed openly, not in secret. In my opinion, threads are closed too often, and sometimes for no good reason.

I partly agree, but it is threads like this that form two very strong opinions, usually with two strong parties, thus taking an issue that was intended to be finished with a ban, further...

mds725
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM

I completely agree that a it's appropriate to discuss openly when, why, how, and for how long people on this site get banned. What's troubled me is when people seem to feel free to trash the banned person, who isn't here to defend himself or herself. (That was my since-deleted objection to the since-edited first post in this thread.) A discussion of how the forums are maintained is appropriate (I personally think the moderators do a great job that sometimes requires them to make agonizing decisions, often under difficult circumstances), but I feel that people who post just to say stuff like "I'm glad she's gone" or "she was annoying" are just posting to hear themselves talk and are adding nothing useful to the discussion while being unsportsmanlike to the banned individual.

Paul December
02-13-2013, 09:11 AM
I completely agree that a it's appropriate to discuss openly when, why, how, and for how long people on this site get banned. What's troubled me is when people seem to feel free to trash the banned person, who isn't here to defend himself or herself. (That was my since-deleted objection to the since-edited first post in this thread.) A discussion of how the forums are maintained is appropriate (I personally think the moderators do a great job that sometimes requires them to make agonizing decisions, often under difficult circumstances), but I feel that people who post just to say stuff like "I'm glad she's gone" or "she was annoying" are just posting to hear themselves talk and are adding nothing useful to the discussion while being unsportsmanlike to the banned individual.

I completely agree, though I did just that in this thread :o
OK, it wasn't cool, but there is some sort of poetic justice in criticizing someone who can't defend themselves...
...especially when that banned person would never let you have the final word. ;)

Shazzbot
02-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Snarks should be for tuning.
Isn't it time to kill this thread?

buddhuu
02-13-2013, 09:22 AM
I completely agree, though I did just that in this thread :o
OK, it wasn't cool, but there is some sort of poetic justice in criticizing someone who can't defend themselves...
...especially when that banned person would never let you have the final word. ;)

With respect, Paul, I disagree. I don't think it is just to criticise people who do not have the right of reply to the same audience.

I'd be grateful if we could make sure it doesn't happen further here - even with tongues in cheeks.

Thanks. :)

haolejohn
02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
For your consideration.

Members do not see all that happens here. Members may miss things that occur in threads they haven't read. Members certainly do not see what is said in PMs to which they are not privvy. Members may not see all that leads to certain consequences.

Similarly, when it may appear that no action is being taken on an issue, members only see what is posted on the open board. They do not see efforts that take place behind the scenes.

People are tragically prone to making judgements without the benefit of all facts. People are also prone to making judgements based upon one side of a story.

These tendencies are rarely helpful.

Just curious...Do PMs come into play in making a decision? Those are private but I know I have received some nasty PMs in the past (luckily not out in the open though).

UKISOCIETY
02-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Just curious...Do PMs come into play in making a decision? Those are private but I know I have received some nasty PMs in the past (luckily not out in the open though).

I NEVER get nasty PMs. What am I doing wrong??? :)

buddhuu
02-13-2013, 10:26 AM

It would depend upon the circumstances. We do not have the ability to view members' messages - they are genuinely private. However, we will certainly take note of private messages that are sent to us, or that are forwarded to us. It is appropriate for us to consider as much information as we can when making decisions.

I would say that any member who receives abusive, bullying, intimidating, theatening or otherwise inappropriate PMs should consider contacting a moderator.

Not too much, by the sound of it. :)

haolejohn
02-13-2013, 10:27 AM
You went away to that other place.
LOL. I've only gotten a few but those people are no longer around.

Louis0815
02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Do PMs come into play in making a decision?If I were a mod I would consider any PMs sent or reported to me in any case. The rest of the PMs is - as buddhuu said - strictly private and invisible to Mods (what else would you expect from the name "Private Message"?)

I'd never have guessed Plainsong would "achieve" a ban and I still feel like owing her a beer for pointing me to another uke - but on the other hand I am sure the mods banned without any warnings and escape roads. Everybody has some weak points... (for whatever reason).

UncleElvis
02-13-2013, 11:00 AM

Gimme a sec...

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
I think Uncle Elvis should be banned.
In fact I think we should all be banned and start all over.
I'll be the first.
I hereby ban myself.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
OK, I'm back and I feel much better!

But really, for the most part we all seem to be a big loving group of people. But we all had bad days or at least bad moments. I'll bet I delete half of my comments before posting them because I've reacted too quickly without thinking. It happens. We are friends. Two of the most important things about friendships is admitting when we are wrong and practicing forgiveness.

EDIT: It seems that I may be confusing threads here. Forgive me. There's a lot going on here as well as behind the scenes these days.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-13-2013, 11:40 AM
... Two of the most important things about friendships is admitting when we are wrong and practicing forgiveness.

It's true- the first step is to practically forgive that Chuck was wrong ;)

Wait, that came out wrong! ;)
delete delete!!!!!!!!!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
It's true- the first step is to practically forgive that Chuck was wrong ;)

Wait, that came out wrong! ;)
delete delete!!!!!!!!!

I love you man.

Dan Uke
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
I love you man.

I love bromances!

Skinny Money McGee
02-13-2013, 12:32 PM
I love you man.

But you can't have my Bud Light

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-13-2013, 12:37 PM
I love you man.

hahah- remember- what happens on the Big Island stays on the Big Island.
:mraz::love::worship:

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
I love bromances!

It's now a Beaumance. hahahha

haolejohn
02-13-2013, 02:50 PM
It would depend upon the circumstances. We do not have the ability to view members' messages - they are genuinely private. However, we will certainly take note of private messages that are sent to us, or that are forwarded to us. It is appropriate for us to consider as much information as we can when making decisions.

I would say that any member who receives abusive, bullying, intimidating, theatening or otherwise inappropriate PMs should consider contacting a moderator.

Not too much, by the sound of it. :)

That makes perfect sense. You guys truly do a lot. I support all of you, even if I don't agree with a decision. You guys rock!

kissing
02-13-2013, 11:53 PM
I held off replying to those thread, but after some thought I decided to pitch in my 2 cents (although probably not worth much now since we're on page 8).

Personally I'm hoping that this is a temporary ban, like a 2 week suspension.
A permanent ban seems a bit harsh..

But I respect the forum moderator/administrator decisions. Each forum has its own leadership, and I'm not here to complain or anything.

barefootgypsy
02-14-2013, 01:07 AM

But I respect the forum moderator/administrator decisions. Each forum has its own leadership, and I'm not here to complain or anything.

My thoughts entirely....

The Big Kahuna
02-14-2013, 02:53 AM
hahah- remember- what happens on the Big Island stays on the Big Island.
:mraz::love::worship:

Get a room

seeso
02-14-2013, 04:17 AM

The ban is not permanent.

kissing
02-14-2013, 04:28 AM
Ah, then it's really no big deal.

In some other forums, the term "ban" is strictly used to refer to permanent blockage of a member from the forum.
A temporary blockage is usually referred as a "suspension".

I think perhaps a lot of people have been thinking it was an outright, permanent ban.
If it isn't the case, then this all isn't that big of a deal. Life goes on :)

pootsie
02-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Thank you , forum hosts and mods, for all you do. Herding cats ain't easy

hmgberg
02-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Meow.... Meow

costaricadave
02-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Wow 5800 views....I'm sorry I missed out on whatever caused the banning...haha

SailingUke
02-14-2013, 08:32 AM
everything should be put in perspective.

Pete Rose, all time hits leader, banned for life from baseball for betting on baseball.
Lance Armstrong, 7 time tour winner, banned for life for using PED's.

plainsong banned, was she using PED's while betting on ukulele ?

In reality, my thanks to the moderators for the hard work and sometimes difficult choices they make.

barefootgypsy
02-14-2013, 12:28 PM
The ban is not permanent.That's great news, I hope they'll be back. I don't know anything about Webby, but Plainsong has a big heart and I miss her......

electrauke
02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
That's great news, I hope they'll be back. I don't know anything about Webby, but Plainsong has a big heart and I miss her......

Not to insult anyone but Webby literaly insulted the ukulele, calling it a childrens instrument, and so forth. So I kinda agree with that one.

mds725
02-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Not to insult anyone but Webby literaly insulted the ukulele, calling it a childrens instrument, and so forth. So I kinda agree with that one.

You're the guy who made a joke earlier about whether this forum was totalitarian. You're probably meaning to be tongue-in-cheek here, too, so I'm not directing what I'm about to say to you directly. Nothing smacks of totalitarianism more than punishing someone merely for expressing an opinion that might offend those in power. So ban someone for being rude and offensive as a person, but not for calling an ukulele a toy.

Nickie
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I can't imagine anything more rude or offensive than calling the ukulele a "toy", LOL!
If Jakes uke is a toy, I wonder what Joshua Bells violin is....or Tommy Emmanuels guitar...hmmm

Tigeralum2001
02-14-2013, 02:26 PM
plainsong banned, was she using PED's while betting on ukulele ?

Where can I get a hold of uke PEDs? I need them...

veep
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Where can I get a hold of uke PEDs? I need them...

Ask Arod lolol lol lol.

dkcrown
02-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Webby was a good member here. I never found him to be anything but positive. Maybe I missed something, and didn't see a thread in which he said anything to be banned, but obviously something happened to warrant it. The mods here are great and on top of everything. I know that you are pretty new here and eager to contribute, but both of these members were here for a long time and have quite a history. There is a time to voice your opinion, and a time to let things pass.

Dan Uke
02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
I can't imagine anything more rude or offensive than calling the ukulele a "toy", LOL!
If Jakes uke is a toy, I wonder what Joshua Bells violin is....or Tommy Emmanuels guitar...hmmm

I used to think the ukulele was a toy before I played...now I think its one hell of an expensive toy. LOL

You cant compare a violin and guitar to a uke cuz its readily accepted as an instrument outside its circle of fans. Should I now be banned?

AndrewKuker
02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
But really, for the most part we all seem to be a big loving group of people. But we all had bad days or at least bad moments. I'll bet I delete half of my comments before posting them because I've reacted too quickly without thinking. It happens. We are friends. Two of the most important things about friendships is admitting when we are wrong and practicing forgiveness.

+1 to Chuck's post.

If someone offends you here, first consider if they meant to offend, or were just being stupid. The line between clever and inappropriate is blurry, but in any case, look at the intention. If you can't give them the benefit of the doubt, then just consider if it's worth it to be butt hurt and seek justice. It's no fun to be mad. Whenever possible, let it go. You probably only like most of the people here, tolerance is key.

It has been mentioned that this is not a democracy but every time you click here it goes towards the value of their AdSense. Any good business caters to it's supporters. Plainsong went down trying to defend her friend and it's an emotional thing. I understand, but I think this clouded her judgement. She would disagree, perhaps. Nevertheless, some are seriously off and out of control and need the ban so we can enjoy sanity in our leisure. Plainsong was not one of those people and I hope that she's back soon. In the meantime I'll check her blog that I used to read. She's not dead, just not here to give her 2cents, which for Kim must be the ultimate punishment. Touché moderators...now let her back. :D ? Oh, ya, you can't tell the moderators what to do...nevermind, ..minding my own biz..doodedoo

ricdoug
02-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Bring Plainsong Kim back. She's a positive contributor to our community. Ric

whatevershebringswesing
02-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Ditto.................

buddhuu
02-14-2013, 09:12 PM
More clarification:

SOME bans are permanent. Plainsong's ban is NOT permanent.

We do recognise the worth of our members. Bans are never applied lightly. Measures taken are usually the minimum that we consider will address a problem.

I used to think the ukulele was a toy before I played...now I think its one hell of an expensive toy. LOL

You cant compare a violin and guitar to a uke cuz its readily accepted as an instrument outside its circle of fans. Should I now be banned?

You seem to be assuming that Webby's ban was for calling 'ukulele a toy. Please don't believe all speculation thrown out there by members.

Ditto.................

Plainsong will be very welcome to rejoin us after the suspension period has elapsed, should she choose to do so. That is the point of a finite ban. It means that we do NOT wish to remove someone permanently. It means that we have to address a situation.

In the meantime, demands from members who are not in possession of all information cannot be expected to override decisions made in the interests of the forum as a whole.

For every call for reinstatement there is one in support of the action. You each have differing opinions, therefore your moderators must proceed in the way that seems, to us, to be best for most people.

To those who do understand, thanks for your support.

To those who don't, I hope you will come to accept that we don't do stuff just to be harsh. We're just trying to keep the place running peacefully.

Dan Uke
02-14-2013, 10:04 PM
You seem to be assuming that Webby's ban was for calling 'ukulele a toy. Please don't believe all speculation thrown out there by members.

No Rick,

I have no idea why Webby was banned and don't care. I was referring to electrauke commenting on his displeasure of Webby referring to the uke as a toy. I was making a joke of it as it found it amusing and Dana made a very good point right before my comment and I was just playing along.

I am clarifying it as I don't want to get banned and didn't assume anything. That just shows how things can be interpreted in different ways. It's like laws...there's the literal meaning of the law and the spirit of the law...I am hopefully what my name means in Korean, which is joke or to joke...I want to keep things light in the cyberworld as my life already has enough issues...Lost in Translation...ESL...Sorry? LOL

buddhuu
02-14-2013, 10:14 PM
[...]I am clarifying it as I don't want to get banned[...]

Aw, come on... It's not that easy to get banned! :D

Dan Uke
02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Aw, come on... It's not that easy to get banned! :D

Of course not as I said much worse in the past...I'm just kidding again :p

Teek
02-14-2013, 11:47 PM
That's great news, I hope they'll be back. I don't know anything about Webby, but Plainsong has a big heart and I miss her......

10 pages, sheesh, I am really sorry I ever posted!

Webby actually is in my friends list. Plainsong does have a big heart.

I am glad it's temporary, but also that it was done. I understand that some people just have in your face personal styles but I am not comfortable being the target of that or seeing it done to others. My initial surprise and tongue in cheek joke/thread reference was really just noting the karma coming back around. I also hope the short censure provides incentive to find more balance.

I wish everyone well, life is too short to hold grudges. It's also too short to put up with unpleasantness when it can be avoided.

austin1
02-14-2013, 11:55 PM

on the plus side, the ukulele doesn't have ears, eyes, or feelings :D

Mods, thanks for the work you do. You guys know what you're doing!

Hippie Dribble
02-15-2013, 12:14 AM
I have no idea why Webby was banned

Webby actually is in my friends list.

webby banned himself. He asked that his membership here be terminated.

anthonyg
02-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Honestly. You need a banned users thread. Probably on the staff board. It simply states who was banned, what for and for how long. It would save a lot of grief.

This would be a thread that only moderators could post to. The rest of us would just read the outcomes. Not debate them.

Anthony

electrauke
02-15-2013, 03:00 AM
You're the guy who made a joke earlier about whether this forum was totalitarian. You're probably meaning to be tongue-in-cheek here, too, so I'm not directing what I'm about to say to you directly. Nothing smacks of totalitarianism more than punishing someone merely for expressing an opinion that might offend those in power. So ban someone for being rude and offensive as a person, but not for calling an ukulele a toy.

Well, the purpose of this forum is to talk about ukuleles, not put them down, so yeah I still think it was good he was banned. And that joke about totalitarian state had nothing to do with the forum at all.

mm stan
02-15-2013, 03:02 AM
What this thread still going....Kimmy will be back soon already:)

buddhuu
02-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Honestly. You need a banned users thread. [...]

With respect, I disagree.

If a member is banned, then the fact is displayed beneath their username in posts. Beyond that, the matter is between the member concerned and the moderator team.

Hippie Dribble
02-15-2013, 03:37 AM
With respect, I disagree.

If a member is banned, then the fact is displayed beneath their username in posts. Beyond that, the matter is between the member concerned and the moderator team.
I respect your view Anthony but I also agree with Rick on this matter. I posted that webby banned himself because, simply, that is what happened, and with the hope of preventing further misguided speculation about it; especially re some earlier comments about the 'Hallelujah thread. In principle, these are private matters between the relevant members and moderators and we have a duty to respect that. To instigate such a thread as you've suggested would, I believe, be counter-productive: I have no doubt the debate would in fact continue in private - via PMs which, ultimately, would be a destructive thing for general morale IMHO.

Stevelele
02-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Man, with 11 pages of discussion, I hope that Kimmy sees that her voice is really a prominent one and that people care about what she says and who she is.

What this thread still going....Kimmy will be back soon already:)

Dwjkerr
02-15-2013, 04:15 AM
I predict this thread will still be going strong :D

KoaDependent
02-15-2013, 04:30 AM
At UU, we hate drama, but we love threads about drama.

veep
02-15-2013, 04:35 AM
:agree::agree:
on the plus side, the ukulele doesn't have ears, eyes, or feelings :D

Mods, thanks for the work you do. You guys know what you're doing!

The Big Kahuna
02-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Well, the purpose of this forum is to talk about ukuleles.

Correct

not put them down

All aspects of the Ukulele are open to discussion, positive or negative.

so yeah I still think it was good he was banned.

Get someone to explain to you what's wrong with this statement. I have neither the time nor the inclination

Kamanaaloha
02-15-2013, 06:30 AM
zomg...really?

why why why?

:deadhorse: